Live TV within MB3 Client?

magicc8ball

magicc8ball

Hey everyone I am just getting my cablecard and well so far I am loving it. 

Currently I am using WMC with Server WMC and XBMC as the front end but I love the look and way that MB3 feels.

Can you watch live tv within MB3 Client? or is it only done through the Server Web page? 

Spaceboy

There's not really a comparable client in terms of stability of functionality yet. We are told a significant update to MBT is now in closed alpha but we are not told what is being added. MBT is the client you are looking for though

saitoh183

Well, the Roku, Windows Phone and Android clients all support Live TV as well.

True android works very well but i find Roku does a lot more start stopping during playback. Might just be my wifi but havent had much time to test it

magicc8ball

Well that's alright for now. I tried to use the Theater client but it was choppy and just did not feel fluent when switching channels or trying to surf through channels, I will be sitting down this weekend to mess with some other features and see if I can set it up to my liking. When I was talking about clients I meant to say classic. I love the classic layout when watching movies and the features it has. Just wish it would have something for live TV. 

One other question I had was if I am in WMC watching TV or setting up PVR content and I choose to watch a movie. I click on the MB3 within WMC, when I do that and select a movie does it play that movie through WMC of through the MB3 server that has the path to the file?

saitoh183

Dont expect to much with MBT in its current state for LiveTV. When the new version is released, there will be alot better support for it. MBC doesnt have Live TV support in it because it runs in WMC so it would be a bit pointless. When you play a Movie from MBC, im pretty sure its the MB server that is managing it. 

Koleckai Silvestri

True android works very well but i find Roku does a lot more start stopping during playback. Might just be my wifi but havent had much time to test it

I suspect this is due more to the Roku's wifi chip and not due to the MB3 ecosystem. I had this experience on my Rokus over wireless as well. Now that they are connected via gigabit Ethernet, they have no problems with anything the server throws at them. I realize not all Rokus can be hardwired and that everyone doesn't have the capability to drop Ethernet wherever they want though. 

saitoh183

I suspect this is due more to the Roku's wifi chip and not due to the MB3 ecosystem. I had this experience on my Rokus over wireless as well. Now that they are connected via gigabit Ethernet, they have no problems with anything the server throws at them. I realize not all Rokus can be hardwired and that everyone doesn't have the capability to drop Ethernet wherever they want though. 

Yeah i would like to hardwire  but the best i can do is Power over ethernet and i tested and it was shittier then the Wifi. ITs a good thing we almost never use LiveTV we mostly just listen to what  we PVR but since its over wifi that also is not very great. Watching anything else from MB (TV shows and movies) dont have a problem over wifi at least.

magicc8ball

Dont expect to much with MBT in its current state for LiveTV. When the new version is released, there will be alot better support for it. MBC doesnt have Live TV support in it because it runs in WMC so it would be a bit pointless. When you play a Movie from MBC, im pretty sure its the MB server that is managing it. 

The only issue i have with MBT is the layout. For me I think it is just to intuitive, others I know love it but it is just not for me. If we could get an option to use the old MBC layout and the live tv portion was more streamlined then it is all I would use. 

The other question I had is when I am playing a movie in MBC and it has multiple audio tracks (2ch Stereo, 5.1 AAC or 5.1 AC3), how do I switch between the tracks?