Web Client will not play anything

moviefan

silvanet

Yikes, I don't know what I did, but now the videos won't even play on the server. Now, when I click play, I get "There was an error playing the videwo" message. I've made it worse.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope.

54d9c35e99fc7_mb.png

I had this issue where playback would be fine on PCs and Macs but would not work on iOS. Changing the Playback Quality Preference from "Max quality" to "Auto" solved the issue, and this for both iOS 7 and 8, Safari and Chrome (mobile). Is that a known bug? Or would it be a local issue?

No, no known issue. Setting the value to max will hammer most cpu's and also may cause the bitrate to fluctuate more. Truthfully it's probably time to get rid of those settings. I would just leave it on auto.

• 4 weeks later...
hstamas

For a long time now (maybe six months or so) I have been unable to play any videos through the IOS web client.  Since I mostly use this this during the baseball season to watch games remotely it hasn't been a big deal but I'd really like to get it working again at some point - especially as the season is about to start again.

I just upgraded today to server version 3.0.5518.0 but this issue has persisted at least as far back as October because I first noticed the issue during the world series and I typically update within a day or two of each release on the server beta level.[/size]

I thought it might have been related to IOS 8 but my wife still has IOS 7 on her iPhone and I experience the same problem on hers.  So I have tested this with the following combinations of IOS devices which all fail:

- iPhone 6 running IOS 8 using both chrome and Safari

- iPad Air running IOS 7 and IOS 8 running both Chrome and Safari

- iPhone 5S running IOS 7 using both chrome and Safari

Playing through the web cilent works successfully on all computer devices.  Including Windows, Windows 8, and MAC OSx.  I typically use Chrome but have also gotten it working using Safari.

Also, the MB Mobile App works fine on the same devices and the exact same videos that won't play in the web client play fine through it.

When I click to play the video it does load the playing screen and it looks like this:

54d94169c0ca3_IMG_1271.png

If I click the play button it flickers but nothing ever happens.

The audio, subtitle, chapter, and quality  icons are all functional and load the relevant menus with valid settings related to the file.

I am able to switch the subtitle track and select something other than the default fine.  If I try and select a chapter, or a different quality level though, the client immediately crashes and I am returned to the IOS home screen.

Attached are logs after a reboot with advanced debugging enabled.  After the reboot, I waited for the scan to finish and then tried to play the file.  At this point I grabbed the logs.

Please let me know if I can provide any more information to help resolve this.

Thanks!

Having the exact same issue. Web client on any iOS device just sits there with the grey, non operational play button. I can't get anything to play in a browser window on the server either running OS X.

hstamas

Having the exact same issue. Web client on any iOS device just sits there with the grey, non operational play button. I can't get anything to play in a browser window on the server either running OS X.

Well call me a liar at least for the iOS part. The gray play button is extremely difficult to press.. I just tried again pressing in every way possible and I finally got a movie to start playing without issue. Will have to retry the Mac browser.

Yes that is the native iOS video player button. Nothing we can about it I'm afraid as safari doesn't allow playback until you've clicked it.

Deihmos

I just got an IOS device and nothing plays in the browser, i know it isn't a firewall issue because the android app was playing.

On the latest dev server it's fine. But you have to click the video player play button in the middle and it's not always easy to click. it's not our button so there's nothing we can do about it.

I just got an IOS device and nothing plays in the browser, i know it isn't a firewall issue because the android app was playing.

Are you attempting to play the video using http or https?

bdot1276

Emby Version 3.0.5675.1

Windows 10

IOs Safari/Chrome

Android Chrome

I am experiencing a similar issue.  When I try to get videos to play via HTTPS I get the error in the picture I attached.  I manually opened up the firewall and router to port 8920 and nothing changed.  I'm not sure what I'm missing.

post-9580-0-17339800-1440734963_thumb.png

server-63576314089.txt

Edited by bdot1276

If you have a self signed cert then each browser is going to have it's own procedure for getting ssl working. My suggestion is either get a trusted cert or just go back to using http.

• 4 weeks later...
techworld

Luke,

I don't think it's the self-signed cert issue, but the HTTPS in Emby.

I'm using the same cert for Plex, and other services on my server without any problem.

Edit: Even though that I imported my self-signed cert into my iPhone, error still persist.

https://blog.httpwatch.com/2013/12/12/five-tips-for-using-self-signed-ssl-certificates-with-ios/

Edited by techworld

• 1 year later...
sweed97

Luke,

I don't think it's the self-signed cert issue, but the HTTPS in Emby.

I'm using the same cert for Plex, and other services on my server without any problem.

Edit: Even though that I imported my self-signed cert into my iPhone, error still persist.

https://blog.httpwatch.com/2013/12/12/five-tips-for-using-self-signed-ssl-certificates-with-ios/

Hello, do you found a solution ? Because I have the same issue with iOS (iphone and ipad).

I use Apache reverse proxy with a self signed certificate and I have imported my cert into iphone and ipad. The video not play from web client in HTTPS.

I have tried with mozilla and chrome for iOS, still the same issue.

But, in HTTP, it's work very well...

Thanks for your help.

Hello, do you found a solution ? Because I have the same issue with iOS (iphone and ipad).

I use Apache reverse proxy with a self signed certificate and I have imported my cert into iphone and ipad. The video not play from web client in HTTPS.

I have tried with mozilla and chrome for iOS, still the same issue.

But, in HTTP, it's work very well...

Thanks for your help.

Try importing the cert into iOS although you're better off with a trusted cert such as Let's Encrypt.

sweed97

Try importing the cert into iOS although you're better off with a trusted cert such as Let's Encrypt.

I have resolved the issue by regenerating a 'wilcard' certificate for all my subdomains.

Then, I have deleted old profil from iPhone/iPad and reimported the new cert (cer file). All is good now ! Emby web client working with HTTPS from iOS  :)

For information, Let's Encrypt is not compliant with wilcard certs for now (https://letsencrypt.org/2017/07/06/wildcard-certificates-coming-jan-2018.html). So, I use StartSSL and it's work well.

• 9 months later...

Emby for iOS 1.5.1 has been released to resolve iPhone x playback issues. Thanks.