MB remote control websocket messages

reluctantflux

reluctantflux

Would it be possible to get MB remote control websocket messages implemented?  This way, VoxCommando would work with Kodi from a variable standpoint.  If any non-coding help is needed, I'd be happy to contribute.

Check here for more info on what I'm trying to do:  http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/17917-voxcommando-and-xbmb3c/

jitterjames

Hi null_pointer.  Thanks for looking into this.

The more methods that could be added the better.  We will ultimately make use of most of them I think.

For starters I think the most important one is the GeneralCommand 

• DisplayContent (Arguments: ItemName, ItemId, ItemType)

Here's a video showing what we are doing with other clients like the web dashboard.

And here's a quick break-down of what currently works on each client (as far as we know).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WQN_dx1ogmbMTgBGysk71HYezfP-zpX-XhsmxpaR2Jc/pubhtml

Playing an item seems to work in Kodi, but it will not queue up multiple items.  Adding DisplayContent would open things up a lot.  This is the most important command since it lets us browse to almost any type of media item.

I've subscribed to this thread so if you have any other questions, or if you have something I can test please post here.

jitterjames

If you open the web dashboard (right-click the server notification icon and choose "browse library") you can select a client to control at the top right.  The icon is a screen with radio waves on it, just to the left of the notifications icon.  If you select MB theater, the option appears for "enable display mirroring".  If you select that then anything you select in dashboard (mostly) will trigger a DisplayContent message to be sent to MB theater.

This options does not appear when you select the Kodi client instead of Theater, presumably because the plugin client for Kodi is not announcing this capability when it registers itself to the server.

Another option is to use Voxcommando.  You don't need to buy a license.  In VC you can enable the MB3 plugin, then go to the plugin settings for MB3 and enter your credentials, and click "find servers". Then expand a server, and select a client.  You'll connect to the client and then you can click "explore"  (bottom left of plugin settings) which opens a new window with a tree of media items.

Then you can select items from the tree and click "browse".

I made this "explore" tree just for testing.  I hope it helps.

Edited by jitterjames

reluctantflux

Tested.  Not quite working with Titan yet.  Can play from the explore menu in Vox.  Very cool and very excited.

It works!  Not sure why it didn't last night, I was on the right add-on version. Maybe I just had to restart Kodi after the update.  Very cool!

Edited by reluctantflux

jitterjames

Testing with version 0.9.788 and the browse commands that you have implemented are working perfectly (with voice commands or using the test explorer).  So far so good.  Great and speedy work!

@@reluctantflux, the play commands have always worked, the problem was with the find/browse commands.  I have not tested with Titan but I don't see why it should make a difference.

By the way, do you know if it will be possible to support queuing multiple items at some point?  Right now if you ask to play an artist, it will only play one song.

jitterjames

I'm not having much luck queuing multiple items with 0.9.790

How can I test this?  If I try to play an artist via the API, it still just plays a single song.  I am also unable to queue items from within the Kodi interface by pressing P or Q.

It's probably not as consistent as it should be in terms of when the queue command shows. It does sometimes look at QueueableMediaTypes reported in your playback start...but since that is live info it's a little harder for the apps to stay up to date on it. it's something that needs review.

jitterjames

Actually, now it does seem to be working although sometimes with a delay.

I can't find a now playing screen and the "play next" command doesn't work, and the Aeon Nox skin is a bit weird with MediaBrowser so it might be why I thought it was not working before.

I will do more testing and get back to you when I have time.

Definitely making great progress.  Thanks!

reluctantflux

The one I'd use most is next up tv episodes and recent movies. Would be nice to be able to browse to the root tv shows or movies. Awesome work!

Edited by reluctantflux

jitterjames

to add multiple items the addon needs to look up each item as only the ID are sent though. This may take a few seconds if the list is long.

Playing an artist with many tracks was noticeably slower than with any of the other clients.  Probably not a big deal, but it took long enough that I thought it wasn't working, and I tried a few times.  Then they all got processed one at a time over the course of the next couple of minutes.  If you can see something obvious to speed it up, then great, otherwise I wouldn't lose any sleep over it!

How about some of the basic commands, such as skip forward and skip back tracks, pause,set volume, etc?  Of course it is possible to control this stuff from VoxCommando by talking to Kodi directly but if you are going to do it you might as well get all of the essentials in case someone wants to use another client such as the dashboard to control Kodi, and it also makes it easier for the end user if all the clients behave more or less the same.

And if you haven't already done it being able to browse other types of items such as music, collections, playlists, and genres would be great too.

reluctantflux

@

So very excited for the new updates.  Will NextUp and/or root Movies/TV Shows be working? Any ETA?  You are awesome.  

jitterjames

Voxcommando sends display content messages for root folders like movies, TV shows, music, photos etc.

I don't think this is possible with things like "up next" but I could be wrong.

jitterjames

XBMB3C Kodi doesn't show up as a client that can be remote controlled anymore with the latest dev version of MBServer.  I think there is a quick fix you can make.  @@ebr just updated MB Classic to fix this issue so hopefully he can let you know what is required if you don't already know what needs to be done.

Angelblue05

Yes, I fixed it yesterday and it was pushed to beta today, by xnappo. I believe the version of the Media browser add-on is now 0.9.801. :)

Edited by Angelblue05