Help me sort out transcoding buffering on kodi clients

bluc
Go to solution Solved by Angelblue05,

Hey all I have issues with constant buffering with the kodi mb3 client.

I have media browser server setup to access unc shares all shares are available on all my pcs direct via the network browser in windows and all files play fine without any buffering issues. When I go into kodi which I have setup in media browser mode the media browser server wants to trans-code files and I get buffering every few seconds.

My network is gigabit wired between pcs I get around 85MB/s but to the media browser server which runs on a nuc I get around 30MB because its limited by usb 2 (media on external drive).

So trying to work out if I Have a setting wrong in the client or on the server,all my files should be able to be played on pcs without the need for trans-coding correct? On a side note the android app over wireless works flawless no buffering at all on my phone and tablet over wireless ac.

The nuc is the original i3 has 4GB ram. Programs on a msata drive media on an external usb drive.

Edited by bluc

Have just setup the media browser windows 8 app and the buffering issue is not present so perhaps a kodi issue? Any ideas of a fix?

1. 15:57:39 T:6984  NOTICE: Checking existence of : G:\music movies\temp music movies\The Australian Pink Floyd Show Eclipsed By The Moon 2013\The Australian Pink Floyd Show Eclipsed By The Moon 2013.mkv
  2. 15:57:39 T:6984  NOTICE: Path does not exists

You need to use UNC paths when you set up Media Browser libraries or path substitution.

Oh ok I thought that was for content on different pc then server. Re setting up library will see how it behaves once finished.

In kodi I just use the kodi dvblink pvr add on, for the media browser apps and server I use the dvblink add on for media browser which works fine via the media browser apps windows/android. Just cant get the xbmc media browser add on to play nice at all. Only thing I have working is tv but that comes via the kodi add on not media browser.

fuzzthekingoftrees

Be careful with your logs, these ones have your windows username/password in which is also your hotmail username/password. You should probably pull these and upload some obfuscated ones, just do a find replace for your username/password.

With that said, if your network is windows->windows, you shouldn't need to enter a username and password in kodi for the smb shares, I know I don't on my network. Just set up a homegroup and have all your computers join.

The other option is to use http streaming but set your maximum bitrate correctly in the xbmb3c plugin. On your LAN you can set it to 100Mbps then any files below this rate (which should be everything) will direct stream over http.

Found the issue with playback failing with error "MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED" was a permissions issues still not sure whats going on. Each of my media shares has "everyone" "read" permission and my main server account read write permissions. If I leave the username password blank in the xbmc mb3 addon it plays fine as soon as I add my admin username password it fails. But happy for now it plays direct and no more buffering. Android clients work great will have to look into whats going on with my share's admin permissions..

Edited by bluc

Angelblue05

Which mediabrowser addon version are you using? If you are unsure, you can find this information by navigating to the addon splash page in kodi (settings > addons > enabled addons > video addon)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still has the buffering issue. Any suggestions?

Main reason mine was buffering was because it was transcoding. Make sure your shares are setup correctly as network address's not as local folders in the media browser server. Then it will only transcode when it needs to. I now get no buffering issues anywhere.

cpthooker

I am using version 0.9.770. I did try to do the suggested folder config but couldn't get it to work. I think I will need to redo my folders better for it to work.

• Solution
Angelblue05

@@cpthooker

You have two choices, path substitution or UNC shares. The following links should help you set up your folder paths correctly. The path substitution one is not a tutorial, but the thread is informative. :)

A - Path substitution  http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/17357-substitution-path-setup/?p=168791

B - UNC Shares   http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/703-how-to-make-unc-folder-shares/

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...