Media Browser and MetaBrowser

sfnetwork

sfnetwork

Luke worked very hard on MB server new image convention "Compatible - MB3/XBMC/Plex" and the XBMC saver.

The good thing now about it for users that needs also XBMC structure is that they don't need to have duplicate files to match each environment standards (posters, backdrops, etc...). MB3 will read perfectly XBMC (Frodo) new file structure. That simplifies A LOT the movie and TV show folders.

After this was done, Fatal handled my features requests on some needs I had to work perfectly with MB3.

The most important one, IMO, that was completed is the Media Browser saver plugin Boxset feature.

The first time I started to configure the boxsets for MB3, I actually had to manually create in my boxsets monitored folder each boxset folder (with [boxset]) and create all movie folder shorcuts in it for MB Server to start fetching the metadata and images. This process might have taken approx. 2 hours (more than 100 boxsets and fooling around to match exactly TMDB collection name, etc...).

With MetaBrowser, now, I did the same in 5 minutes. (not actively, just watching it and waiting). And it actually found some I missed (27 more in my case).

It basically creates the boxsets folders and the movie shortcuts based on the "set" value (which is filled by fetching TMDB collection name). The "set" field was more for XBMC movie set before but now is also used for MB3 boxsets.

And also, it has an option not to create it when use has only one movie of the collection (so user won't have collections with one movie):

2013-10-17%201-19-11%20PM.png

Once it's created, MB3 server will do the rest for user, still automatically without any interaction (metadata and images).

I also tested adding a new movie (part of a collection that I only had one, so no boxset created) and it did everything right... Created the boxset main folder (named using TMDB colection name), created shortcuts for both movies in it, and MB server finished up with metadata and images...

Here is a quick guide on how to configure MetaBrowser XBMC and Media Browser savers to have the perfect and simplest structure for both environments:

***Remember that MB3 server will read perfectly XBMC naming convention, so make sure you disable Media Browser images AND local trailers.

2013-11-03%209-41-06%20PM.jpg

Configure the rest as needed (IBN\people, etc...)

It will basically just do the "movie.xml".

Next, for the XBMC saver, configure everything you need for both XBMC and MB3 (including local trailers, etc...)

2013-11-03%209-46-25%20PM.jpg

Make sure the naming is like this:

2013-11-03%209-46-41%20PM.jpg

Leave the first one unchecked (second one if you have configured to get all local trailers).

2013-11-03%209-50-49%20PM.jpg

Here is the movie folder after MetaBrowser is done:

2013-11-03%209-54-27%20PM.jpg

The extrafanart folder has all extra backdrops (again, MB3 and XBMC will read then perfectly).

2013-11-03%209-55-54%20PM.jpg

In MB3:

2013-11-03%2010-09-12%20PM.jpg

2013-11-03%2010-11-06%20PM.jpg

So, users can now do some major clean up in their movie folders if they were using MetaBrowser for Media Browser and XBMC (Backdrop.jpg, etc...).

TV shows structure example:

2013-11-03%2010-05-41%20PM.jpg

2013-11-03%2010-07-31%20PM.jpg

*srt files are not from MetaBrowser.

Hope it might help some of you... :D

Edited by Luke
  • Like 2

sfnetwork

Well done. When you say "make sure the naming is like this"...what did you change from defaults?

I did so many changes over time (to work around missing features) that I'm not sure about the defaults here... Fatal could answer this.

Only thing I know is that XBMC and MB3 work perfectly with those for the structure "each movie in dedicated folders". The other one "(moviefilename)-poster.jpg" wasn't working for this structure in XBMC (for poster only).

Also it follows XBMC Frodo new naming convention.

And MB3, no problem reading it either way.

I think it was %file-poster,jpg, %file-banner,jpg, etc... If this is the case, if I remember correctly, XBMC wiki states that this convention is more for movie files in one main folder (not in dedicated folders)

Edited by sfnetwork

ok, i know you're using Metabrowser to save the images but i just want to make sure we're saving the right ones too.

sfnetwork

ok, i know you're using Metabrowser to save the images but i just want to make sure we're saving the right ones too.

Oh, I tested the other way around too (a lot when testing XBMC saver plugin actually). We're good. (dev build).

There is only the known issue with primary image (TMDB / Fanart) on actual beta build. But nothing to do with image saving convention.

I did so many changes over time (to work around missing features) that I'm not sure about the defaults here... Fatal could answer this.

Hey,

The default is, as sfnetwork stated %file-logo, %file-banner, %file.nfo etc...

There's an option in xbmc, when you setup your location and set content to specific whethere the media items (if movie) is in one folder or in seperate folders...based on that, I belive, one format of the naming takes precidence over the other.

If each movie is in it's own folder then just fanart.jpg, logo.png, poster.jpg, and movie.nfo work.

If you have multiple movies in one folder then they obvoiusly need to be prefixed with the filename, ie, <filename>-fanart.jpg, <filename>.nfo etc.

I beleive both formats will work if you have your movies in individual folders, but if not, then they need to be prefixed (not 100% sure but some easy testing can provide a better answer).

Take Care

• Like 1

Great, thanks for the info fatal. That's exactly how we're doing it - using the short names when they're in their own folder , and the prefixed names when they're mixed.

sfnetwork

I believe both formats will work if you have your movies in individual folders, but if not, then they need to be prefixed (not 100% sure but some easy testing can provide a better answer).

Take Care

I discovered, in my testing, that only poster isn't accepted by XBMC when using %file-poster.jpg (it falls back to the thumb) when every movie has its own folder.

I discovered, in my testing, that only poster isn't accepted by XBMC when using %file-poster.jpg (it falls back to the thumb) when every movie has its own folder.

Do I need to change anything?