AAC Audio

Strudo76

Strudo76

Hey there, just installed the app today on a mate's TV and want to say thanks for a great app. It's looking great at this stage. For the record, we installed on a Samsung UA65H6400AW, and it went pretty smoothly. Had some issues entering the IP/port address since the remote pointer on the remote doesn't appear to be supported, so had to mash it in with the keyboard.

The only issue we have remaining is for files that use AAC audio. Currently the TV has an optical cable connected to an Onkyo receiver that supports the DD and DTS family of formats (including HD formats), but doesn't support AAC. We have enabled the DD and DTS options in the TV setup menu,and when playing those types of movies, the receiver correctly plays the relevant format and plays multi channel content as expected. When the media file contains 5.1 channel AAC audio, the receiver only receives PCM and does a crappy surround mix rather than the expected discrete channels.

I would suspect some sort of transcoding server side would be an ideal solution, however I can't find any options for controlling transcoding outside of the DLNA options on the server. Do these settings influence what gets sent to this app, or are they exclusively for DLNA browsing devices? If these settings can help me, what would I need to change? My understanding is that I would need to remove AAC as a direct play format, and set AAC to transcode to either DD or DTS?

Or if not transcoding, what other options would be available?

Thanks

Simon

chessdragon136

Ok post number 2 after I have now correctly read the first. 

So you need to

Have a setting in the TV which allows for transcoding AAC to Dolby.

On load of file, check AAC, check setting, transcode to Dolby?

I'll work on it, but I have no means of testing so need a volunteer, either yourself or @@DaN

• Like 1

CBers

I have videos with AAC audio and it plays through my F8000 to my Sonos PlayBar just fine.

I wouldn't need it transcoding.

Edited by CBers

chessdragon136

The only issue we have remaining is for files that use AAC audio. Currently the TV has an optical cable connected to an Onkyo receiver that supports the DD and DTS family of formats (including HD formats), but doesn't support AAC.

I missed it too on first read! So I need a setting to transcode audio for people who have amps that don't support it.

Ok I think I've implemented it - No idea as I cannot test

Wait for the next build

I'm ready to retest that, I've Samsung F751 that supports DD and DTS

DaN

I tested 2 contents of different surrounding techs:

Dolby Digital

6115173c8bcbf5c460ea9ee157d52102.jpg

That was switched successfully

37231e0054a9641e00059c5b49608245.jpg

DTS

2aeb3fd30796b9657c178cc9d711483e.jpg

Again switched successfully

91ac51d3d397dbb086377859251c94a0.jpg

My Soundbar supports both, it's connected through optical port, and switching works as per that menu information

aa0c3bf2335032b3792198b2b90ff7b7.jpg

Edit: broken links updated

DaN

Edited by DaN

CBers

Dolby Digital

DTS

My Soundbar supports both, it's connected through optical port, and switching works as per that menu information

DaN

I wish my Sonos PlayBar supported DTS!

What model TV do you have @@DaN?

Edited by CBers

Strudo76

Dolby Digital

DTS

DaN

Hey DaN, yeah we get that same result when using DD or DTS, the TV automatically selects the correct setting. When the source is AAC though, the TV only selects PCM.

Ok I think I've implemented it - No idea as I cannot test 

Wait for the next build

Coolies. Will the app on the TV automatically update or will I need to do the "long hold enter key" and sync app request thing I used to initially install it?

chessdragon136

Thanks, I knew the switching worked fine though :)

As for updating, it will be the same process again. Hopefully i can get the build out in a few days. 

Strudo76

Excellent. Sorry for taking so long to respond. I didn't realise the forum didn't follow the topic by default, so it's only just now that I thought to check.

Speaking of which, is there a topic that I can follow where you announce new releases so I know when they are available?

chessdragon136

No topic, I create new forum posts so you can follow the forum to see when a new topic is created. 

CBers

F7500

DaN

And it auto-switches the output to your soundbar depending on the input? Edited by CBers

So it's not the TV as such, but the MB app?

Well, it's both actually as I read in AVSFORUM, I first saw this in plex, then I had discussed that with @@chessdragon136 at early stage of the app development, as understood, the app will detect the surrounding tech, and forward that to TV for suitable output switching, the output is decoded in soundbar if it's compatible.

DaN

CBers

Thanks Dan.

My Sonos PlayBar doesn't support DTS, so I have DTS playback option disabled on the app.

I have re-encoded all of my DTS videos to Dolby D, retaining the DTS track.