MB3 preferences not respected by Kodi

XiaNYdE

XiaNYdE

Not sure if this is actually a Kodi issue or a skin issue (using the Titan skin) but my preferences set in the web browser are not being respected. i.e. i have 2 folders, one for Mini-Series and another for Documentaries, in the webUI i have them unchecked so as not to group them with movies/tv etc.., however Kodi seems to add the Mini-Series to the TV Shows and Documentaries to Movies, is there any way to stop this from happening?

XiaNYdE

I gave that a try mate, unfortunately that means i'll have half a dozen seperate directories i don't really want in the browser.... i actually have a few directories for movies and where they are sourced eg.. Movies (HD) / Movies (SD) / Movies (Web-DL) / Movies (HDTV) at the moment they all show up under All Movies just fine, doing as you suggested i need to select each directory seperately and they display seperately not all together, i just want the docos to get out of my movies lol... i did try the all movies selection via video add-ons and it still added the docos.

Edited by XiaNYdE

xnappo

Where is this setting in the Web version?  I haven't seen it.

@@Luke - is this a server feature or web client feature?

XiaNYdE

It's in 'My Preferences / Display', you uncheck folders you don't want grouped.

Server. If you use the views api you get all this. I think you are probably using just the raw media fodlers

xnappo

Ok - this is an easy change - will look at it this weekend if someone doesn't get to it sooner.

xnappo

• Like 2

Vidman

It would be great if the addon could support the view order prefs in the server too , while you're having a look;)

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

XiaNYdE

Ok - this is an easy change - will look at it this weekend if someone doesn't get to it sooner.

xnappo

awesome, thank you very much, looking forward to it :D

xnappo

So I added 'User Views' down at the bottom of the AddOn list (above search).  This works just fine for getting to user filtered nodes in AeonNox4 - however I am not sure if it will do the job for skins that try to automatically manage the nodes.

xnappo

marcelveldt

So I added 'User Views' down at the bottom of the AddOn list (above search).  This works just fine for getting to user filtered nodes in AeonNox4 - however I am not sure if it will do the job for skins that try to automatically manage the nodes.

xnappo

I think this will be okay. In Titan I use the usr-nodes to populate the menu's so shouldn't be affected.

About that: some users find it confusting that they have their menu items doubled.

I add all the usr-listings for Movies and TV Shows and after that I display the "All movies" and "All TV-Shows" entries.

For users who only have one collection this may look weird because they see for example a "movies" node and a "all movies" node, and the same for TV Shows.

How is this handled in the other apps ?

What I'm thinking about is adding a little counter with additional window property in the skinhelper-code that populates the listings. If a user only has 1 movies node I won't show it in the menu and only display "all movies" instead.

Everyone okay with this approach and maybe this can be a guideline for the other skins too ?

Basically it's just adding the counter as winproperty and the skin checking that so no major change to the addon.

Edited by marcelveldt

How is this handled in the other apps ?

The Views API is meant to be THE library presentation for the user because it can be configured to combine or not combine whatever they wish.

So, the other apps will not have the problem you are having because they are only showing the items returned from the Views call.

marcelveldt

The Views API is meant to be THE library presentation for the user because it can be configured to combine or not combine whatever they wish.

So, the other apps will not have the problem you are having because they are only showing the items returned from the Views call.

So basically you're saying to HIDE the "all movies" and "all tvshows" nodes by default? Offcourse a user can add those back in if they want it...

Yes because they will be redundant as you found out.

Basically, the items returned by the Views call should be the items the user has to select from on their top level menu.  The only other items that should exist would be something purely client-specific like maybe something produced by a Kodi Plug-in.

Having not used Kodi at all I don't know how feasible this is but that is the intention of the Views API.  It gives the user a consistent presentation of their library no matter what app they are using.

Angelblue05

This could solve a lot of problems like collection grouping with movies. If the API only returns what was set in web client, then no "kodi" customization is necessary for the nodes. Is this correct?

marcelveldt

OK, great. I will make this the default setting for new users in my skin.

I think too that the user experience should be the same on all platforms/clients, at least as much as possible.

xnappo

To completely replace the views we have now with the new 'views' API we would want to have latest/inprogress/nextup nodes there for all collections.  Right now we are creating those manually, would be great if the server did that for us.

xnappo

Edited by xnappo
  • Like 1

It pretty much does.  You can always just create pretty simple queries with a ParentId to get latest, next up, in progress easily but the conglomerate views also return children for those items for DLNA clients.

So, if you were to just retrieve the children for the "Movies" view, you would get "Latest" "In-Progress" "Genres" etc.  If you look at the Beta of MBC, that is what it does (but filters out the latest view because that is already covered on the MBC EHS).

xnappo

I definitely saw that "Movies" gives the children views, but what I mean is a way to get the same child info for my "Kids" node when I go in there.

I know I could create them, but would prefer the server does it :)

[EDIT] It occurs to me that I never defined the type of the 'Kids' collection - maybe if I had done this it would have offered the sub-nodes (was afraid if I removed and re-added I would lose watched status)?

Edited by xnappo

xnappo

I think this will be okay. In Titan I use the usr-nodes to populate the menu's so shouldn't be affected.

About that: some users find it confusting that they have their menu items doubled.

I add all the usr-listings for Movies and TV Shows and after that I display the "All movies" and "All TV-Shows" entries.

For users who only have one collection this may look weird because they see for example a "movies" node and a "all movies" node, and the same for TV Shows.

I know - I didn't mean my change would break the skins, I meant it would not result in the skins using the 'User Views' node instead of the full server view node we look at now.

Basically to be compliant with the new method, you need to use the results from the 'User Views' section instead of the root directory listing.

marcelveldt

@@xnappo, I now use the mediabrowser.usr.X window properties in Titan skin, they are known as the user collections not sorted by type in the code from skinhelperthread. I also use the children of those nodes, like in progress, genres, nextup etc. for the widgets I use the content property.

Is this the same as what @@ebr is referring to ?

Will this still work later on because this particular part covers many lines of code in the skin.

Would be my preference that the window properties would still be the same :-)

xnappo

Yes - that will still work for legacy compatibility.  What I am saying if we should we should/could create new window properties based on the user views, and then it would be consistent between MBC/MBT/Web and us.

xnappo

marcelveldt

Yes - that will still work for legacy compatibility.  What I am saying if we should we should/could create new window properties based on the user views, and then it would be consistent between MBC/MBT/Web and us.

xnappo

OK, great idea. How to move forward ?

Isn't it possible to replace the unindexed-by-type usr. properties by this new method ? As I'm quite sure, Titan is the only skin that uses them.

For users this doesn't matter as they would still have their collections displayed (maybe the order is changed once after the update) but this prevents me from having about 1000 lines of extra code in the skin