Possible to choose where the server gets installed?

kevinmd88

kevinmd88

I thought for sure this question would've been asked countless times before, but I came up empty-handed after a handful of searches and about 20 minutes of forum browsing incl. the FAQ... I figured it would be easiest to just ask.

For the Windows server, is it possible to specify a directory location to which the Media Browser 3 server application should be installed?

I've been a long-time user (and I love it so much, I always look forward to the next big update from you guys) through thick and thin. And, it may have changed since I actually did my last install, which I believe was sometime in the middle of 2014... But the last time I installed, I did not see an option to specify where to install to.

From what I can tell, it installs to %appdata%\MediaBrowser-server\ by default (which is of course in the user's profile folder) - I am hopeful that this can be changed, as I'm actually on a server machine and would love to organize my installations in a more meaningful way. :)

Thanks!

Maleficarum

I believe that is by design and cannot be changed. It has something to do with making sure auto-updates work if I remember correctly.

Edited by Maleficarum

Beardyname

I believe that is by design and cannot be changed. It has something to do with making sure auto-updates work if I remember correctly.

This and permissions :)

Most of the locations where it is supposed to store stuff though is configurable, so it should not take up any space at all!.

The two responders are correct.  You cannot change the target folder at this time.  The user area is the only place we can guarantee permissions such that our automatic and silent updates will succeed.

• 8 months later...
kevinmd88

Since this thread comes up in some searches for its topic, I thought I'd share my workaround...

I was able to make this work in a Windows Server environment using symlinks. But to make it happen, I had to symlink the install locations before the installation began.

Let's say I desired the install to be in C:\Servers\Emby.

By creating a symlink in AppData called MediaBrowser-server to that location, the application uses the AppData path, but the storage is actually in C:\Servers\Emby.

Its done with the mklink command in the command prompt. See "mklink /?" for its syntax.

I cant really certify whether any issues are created this way - the Emby staff can if they would like. Ive had no issues, but of course if any arise due to doing it this way its obviously not their problem lol. (FYI not mine either :) )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Reusing this rather old thread ;)

I run Emby Server on Win10 as a service. I don't really fancy having the program files in the users %appdata% directory since it runs as a service. I would also like to run Emby Server under a special user account that I use for other services! Auto Update doesn't work anyway running as a service, so that is no issue!

Question: Can I just move the Emby-server directory from %appdata% to any directory, provided that the account used for running EmbyServer service have r/w permissions in that directory? Are all paths used by Emby Server relative? I know I have to edit the path in registry/services, but would I need to modify other paths?

I noted that it's possible to have a portable installation in any directory, but is that only for a clean install?

PenkethBoy

I have installed Emby to my folder of choice using the portable version

updates fine even on non standard ports as i use it as a test version along side another "ordinary" install with standard ports on the same pc

As the portable version should not have any registry entries (otherwise its not portable) then - i suspect with a bit of experimentation you could copy over parts of the other install and get it to work - to be honest if your library is not huge it will be quicker to do a clean install and update your settings and let it rescan.

You should be able to move the "Emby-Server" folder where ever you wish - as long as you understand the permissions and access issues surrounding that.  Also, uninstall will no longer function correctly.

So I copied the Emby Server folder to 'C:\SRV\', Updated the image path in the registry HKLM / Services to reflect the change and made sure that 'System' still has full permissions in the Emby Server folder and all subfolders.
Result: The service starts, BUT..... in the library, all folders were present with the local paths, however all network paths were gone and also no options were selected for any of the folders! I reentered the network paths and made the selections but they did not not save!

So, maybe I shoul'd try a clean portable install in the new folder, using a different port. I see that a portable install only contains the system folder, so if I get it working properly as a service, I could try and copy over the other folders from %appdata%.

I'll get back with results ....

Happy2Play

What other folders, everything is contained in "Emby-Server folder"?

Why not have an advanced option in the installer so if we which to install in a custom location we can have the choice during installation?

The users \ username \ appdata folder was never designed for installing programs to, that is why there is Program Files folder.  

It really bothers me that application developers ignore this and install programs inside the user profile which is not where they belong.

Why not have an advanced option in the installer so if we which to install in a custom location we can have the choice during installation?

The users \ username \ appdata folder was never designed for installing programs to, that is why there is Program Files folder.  

It really bothers me that application developers ignore this and install programs inside the user profile which is not where they belong.

I suppose if we were starting over now we might do that, but there's not enough users who care about this to justify us rebuilding the entire installer right now. That's just time that can be better spent elsewhere.

For those who do want to customize, that's why we offer the portable method right on the download page of the website.

It is Microsoft's own "Click-Once" technology that does this.

Other than EMBY I have not installed any other program that installed in appdata, every other program defaults to Program Files and usually gives you a chance to change to a custom path.

It is Microsoft's own "Click-Once" technology that does this.

Google Chrome does not install into appdata, many programs use appdata for "application data" which is specific to whichever user account you are logged in with.  But programs or apps are not supposed to INSTALL entirely inside appdata.

582d1d50dc4ea_Chrome.jpg

Google Chrome uses AppData.

Problem solved :)

Did a clean intall from zip-file in a new folder. No problem running as a service under a dedicated user account (System account not needed). The Emby service was already installed  (by the installer) so I only had to modify the image path in the registry. However, it didn't work copying the other folders (all but the system-folder) from the old appdata installation to the new folder, so I had to start from scratch. This wasn't a big issue since I had all metadata already in the media folders.

I don´t think there is any need to modify the installer to allow for selection of install path! Appdata works fine for the ordinary user, but It should be pointed out more clearly in the download section of the web page, that the zip-version should be used by advanced users wishing to run Emby Server as a windows service! At present, it's only recommended for portable installations. Maybe a script for installing the Emby service could be included in the zip-file, although advanced users probably knows how to do this anyway.

Other than EMBY I have not installed any other program that installed in appdata, every other program defaults to Program Files and usually gives you a chance to change to a custom path.

That just means you haven't installed any ClickOnce apps.  That's not surprising because I don't think this deployment technology was ever all that popular.  My point though is, the use of the appdata folder came from this deployment method and we use it for exactly the same reason that Microsoft did - that is the only area of the system where you can guarantee that silent, unattended updates will succeed.

Any other area of the computer will (in most instances) require an admin elevation at some point in the process.  This is no big deal for the vast majority of apps out there because they only update or install with user interaction.  Our app, however, is designed to be able to keep itself up to date completely without user interaction.

Anyway, this is why it works this way and it isn't something we just dreamed up on our own. We were following Microsoft's lead at the time.  As Luke said, if we were starting over now, we might do it differently but it simply isn't a big enough problem to warrant us spending the incredible amount of time it would take now.

• 2 months later...
schmitty

Ideally I would like to have my server set up as...

C:\System    (windows)

D:\Server with a network path of \\SERVER\server\

subdirectories...

Emby-Server  (main server install)

Emby-Data  (for cache, metadata, transcoding-temp, etc.)

Sonarr

Radarr

Downloads

E:\Documents  with a network path of \\SERVER\Documents\

F:\Mac  with a network path of \\SERVER\Mac\

G:\Movies  with a network path of \\SERVER\Movies\

H:\Music  with a network path of \\SERVER\Music\

I:\Photos  with a network path of \\SERVER\Photos\

J:\TV  with a network path of \\SERVER\TV\

K:\Win  with a network path of \\SERVER\Win\

Happy2Play

Ideally I would like to have my server set up as...

C:\System    (windows)

D:\Server with a network path of \\SERVER\server\

subdirectories...

Emby-Server  (main server install)

Emby-Data  (for cache, metadata, transcoding-temp, etc.)

Sonarr

Radarr

Downloads

E:\Documents  with a network path of \\SERVER\Documents\

F:\Mac  with a network path of \\SERVER\Mac\

G:\Movies  with a network path of \\SERVER\Movies\

H:\Music  with a network path of \\SERVER\Music\

I:\Photos  with a network path of \\SERVER\Photos\

J:\TV  with a network path of \\SERVER\TV\

K:\Win  with a network path of \\SERVER\Win\

You can get the portable version and install it anywhere you like (download page).  It really isn't portable anymore once you have run the application but it allows you to put it where every you like.

Happy2Play

How does it go with the automatic updating though, is it an issue?

Mine are hit and miss just like the installed version.  So you may have to manually update occasionally.  If you run Stable then you update maybe once a month.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1