What kind of Roku?

strager

strager

What kinds of Roku's is MediaBrowser compatible with? There are like 10 different kinds from what I saw in the store and I wasn't sure which one I should try. Does it work with the Roku 3? What about the little stick thing? 

https://www.roku.com/products/compare

Out of the current models still being sold directly from Roku new, I can confirm Roku 3, Roku Streaming Stick, Roku 1. The Roku 3 offers the best performance, but I have been pleasantly surprised with the performance and speed of the Roku streaming stick for the price.

I also have a family member using a Roku 2 XS which is an older model no longer being manufactured but has all the same connections as a Roku 3 but internal hardware wise is lacking in processor power and memory.

mediacowboy

I can confirm Roku 3 and the stick are both awesome with the app.

Edited by mediacowboy

A good friend of mine had an old roku2 XS and was always happy (I never told him my roku3 was faster, this is a good friend.) until he saw at my house one day how much more fluid my roku3 was for every task. He was literally in awe the night and day difference. He was a bit chagrin that I hadn't told him directly this fact, but had him discover it on his own. He explained he only bought the roku2 XS for the Ethernet port. That left him one option. Of present models, only roku3 offers this. He bought a roku3 and sold the roku 2 XS on Craigslist.

Its a lot like your expectation of UI response really that matters in roku preference. Speed is relative to perception. If you only have a single roku, and no experience of any other model you have no gauge to judge relativity. It's only when seeing the difference the UI has with a faster response that one can appreciate it.

For no compromise, and if your budget affords it accept no less than a roku3, the premier top tier product. I've had my roku3 since Nov 2013 and it is my sole input into my HDTV. roku3 > * == <3

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

WarrenH

I've a number of Roku's, and have tried them all. They're essentially all going to do the same decent job with MB3. The Roku 3 is faster by virtue of it's processor, although more importantly it's the only one with built in wired LAN, so if you have access to a wired network you'll find it a no brainer - despite the increased cost.

You may very well find yourself getting frustrated waiting for your wireless network to catch up with you when the whole family's connecting their mobile phones, laptops, tablets and wanting to print to your wireless network.

Edited by WarrenH
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Koleckai Silvestri

I have only used the Roku 3 devices. We have two and I am getting ready to add a third. Since I have Ethernet in every room, I want to take advantage of that and keep video streaming off the wireless as much as possible.

CBers

The Now TV box (the Roku LT) works, but the pq is not too good.

My NOW TV box works fine here.

PQ is excellent.

• 6 months later...
Camikazi

Bit of an old thread but my Roku XD 2050 does run Emby, it is a bit slow moving from one section to another but streams 720p video without problem on wired LAN. If that one works I think any should work considering it is one of the original Rokus.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk