Switched HD Homerun tuners, now deinterlacing issues FireTV+XBMC

allen00se

allen00se

I am currently running XBMC on the FireTV as a front end, with MB and ServerWMC as the backend

Originally I had the HD Homerun Prime which is their cable card tuner, this worked great.. perfect picture, no stutter etc. Recently I cut the cable and purchased the HDHR4-2US and use it to pull ASTC OTA broadcast TV. All of the configuration was a sinch, and got everything up and running in minutes. The problem comes when watching LiveTV on my XBMC frontend, the channels all seem to be interlaced and stutter badly, and the option to de-interlace is grayed out on XBMC. I have done some reading and apparently there is some hardware conflict with XBMC+FireTV that doesnt allow de-interlacing to take place. 

So...

1. can anyone tell me why I didn't have this issue with the previous tuner combination? Is it the ASTC vs Digital Cable that makes de-interlacing necessary?

2. Can I force MB server to transcode or something on the backend so that de-interlacing on the front end is not necessary?

3. Would all of this be better if I had purchased the HDTC-2US that can output h.264?

krustyreturns

1) Best guess is your cable providers channels were not interlaced.

2) If your question is, can I make MBS work with xbmc? MB server's transcode/deinterlace only works with MB clients, so I think the answer is no.  There are more firetv users on the kodi forum, but I suppose you have looked there already.

3) Good question.  I'd like to know the answer to that too if you find out.

allen00se

1) Best guess is your cable providers channels were not interlaced.

2) If your question is, can I make MBS work with xbmc? MB server's transcode/deinterlace only works with MB clients, so I think the answer is no.  There are more firetv users on the kodi forum, but I suppose you have looked there already.

3) Good question.  I'd like to know the answer to that too if you find out.

Trying to decide if I should try and fix this issue, or just wait for the new MB3 Android Client that should come out soon, I would imagine that it would transcode/deinterlace. If I end up buying the other tuner that does h.264 ill post results. Also I have read that the next version of Kodi will support deinterlacing on the FireTV.

• 1 month later...
kmarq13

I am currently running XBMC on the FireTV as a front end, with MB and ServerWMC as the backend

Originally I had the HD Homerun Prime which is their cable card tuner, this worked great.. perfect picture, no stutter etc. Recently I cut the cable and purchased the HDHR4-2US and use it to pull ASTC OTA broadcast TV. All of the configuration was a sinch, and got everything up and running in minutes. The problem comes when watching LiveTV on my XBMC frontend, the channels all seem to be interlaced and stutter badly, and the option to de-interlace is grayed out on XBMC. I have done some reading and apparently there is some hardware conflict with XBMC+FireTV that doesnt allow de-interlacing to take place. 

So...

1. can anyone tell me why I didn't have this issue with the previous tuner combination? Is it the ASTC vs Digital Cable that makes de-interlacing necessary?

2. Can I force MB server to transcode or something on the backend so that de-interlacing on the front end is not necessary?

3. Would all of this be better if I had purchased the HDTC-2US that can output h.264?

Hardware deinterlacing on Android is getting improved in Kodi 15. You can either start running a beta of that, or it is already included in SPMC if you're up to making a switch. http://spmc.semperpax.com/

I've been running an v15 alpha for a bit and have had really good results thus far.

3. It should, I had considered the same until I stumbled on the latest fixes. If you do go this route let me know, I'm likely to pick up another HDHomeRun soon and have been debating which version to get.