Multi-Cast Support

Theodore

Spaceboy

It should be a bit embarrassing that jellyfin has overtaken emby in terms of features.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

MBSki
3 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

It should be a bit embarrassing that jellyfin has overtaken emby in terms of features.

I haven't installed Jellyfin, but based on their demo and client list they have about 25% of what Emby has. Other than this watch together feature, Jellyfin's feature set is seriously lacking. It would be nice to get the watch together feature on Emby, but not worth losing 100 other features to get it. 🙂 

• Like 2

Spaceboy
I haven't installed Jellyfin, but based on their demo and client list they have about 25% of what Emby has. Other than this watch together feature, Jellyfin's feature set is seriously lacking. It would be nice to get the watch together feature on Emby, but not worth losing 100 other features to get it. [emoji846] 

This feature request is twice as old as the whole jellyfin project
  • Like 3

MBSki
1 minute ago, Spaceboy said:

This feature request is twice as old as the whole jellyfin project

Wow, yea, I looked at the first post...2015! Overall though, Emby trounces jellyfin when it comes to features. It all comes down to priority no matter who is developing the system though. Wish we had a real voting system so we could at least see what us users are clamoring for. This, "like the first post" to vote method stinks! 😁

• Like 1

Spaceboy
Wow, yea, I looked at the first post...2015! Overall though, Emby trounces jellyfin when it comes to features. It all comes down to priority no matter who is developing the system though. Wish we had a real voting system so we could at least see what us users are clamoring for. This, "like the first post" to vote method stinks! [emoji16]

Agreed, but alternatively if you look at how far jellyfin have come in the last 18 months and the engaged community of volunteers that they have working in the project can you be confident that your statements will stand?

It definitely feels that since emby went closed source there has been a significant slowdown in development and everything is now about brand promotion/ creation rather than delivering new functions to us as end users.

Yes everything works but the excitement to receiving a new beta and seeing something useful to me has long passed
  • Like 3

CBers
19 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

Jellyfin's feature set is seriously lacking

They don't have any additional plugins written, other than the basic 4 pre-installed. 

• Like 1

MBSki
19 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

Agreed, but alternatively if you look at how far jellyfin have come in the last 18 months and the engaged community of volunteers that they have working in the project can you be confident that your statements will stand?

It definitely feels that since emby went closed source there has been a significant slowdown in development and everything is now about brand promotion/ creation rather than delivering new functions to us as end users.

Yes everything works but the excitement to receiving a new beta and seeing something useful to me has long passed

Hmmm, good to know. Definitely worth keeping an eye on Jellyfin. 

In the meantime, I'll post an Emby feature request for a true voting system. Maybe we'll be able to bump up the priority of the most sought after features. 😁 

Spaceboy

I seem to remember this was one of the things mentioned in relation to the new forum software- that it would be easier to track feature requests. I see no evidence so far

CBers
1 minute ago, mbarylski said:

Yea, I know. But this is manually managed. No way this can be kept up to date and accurate by a human. Let computers do the work of finding the number of votes, grouping by category, and sorting.

So you want that implemented to the detriment of developing Emby? 

Maybe you don't realise, but there are only 2 full time developers working on Emby, with a few others helping out here and there. 

fr0z3n
57 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

Yeah agree with others here. It's actually a really exciting feature Jellyfin rolled out. I set it up in about an hour. The functionality is still basic, only works in the Web app, it's buggy for me on Chrome mobile, but it's a great foundation to build off. I'm now running emby and Jellyfin - emby for 95% of times and for the 5% times where I wana do group playback I'll use Jellyfin until emby introduces the feature. It's a pain to manage two libraries, two sets of users, can't sync watched at statuses between the two apps, but at least it will fill the need for those times when you need group playback. It'll be game changing if/when the sync playback comes to kodi/chromecast/mobile apps etc. Will be interesting to see if they take the feature on that direction. 

Edited by fr0z3n

13 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

I seem to remember this was one of the things mentioned in relation to the new forum software- that it would be easier to track feature requests

That was a hope and it did not come to fruition.  Unfortunately, the forum still doesn't do a good job of this.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CBers said:

Maybe you don't realise, but there are only 2 full time developers working on Emby, with a few others helping out here and there. 

That is not a true statement anymore.

CBers
5 minutes ago, ebr said:

Correct it then please. 

• Like 2

MBSki
31 minutes ago, ebr said:

That was a hope and it did not come to fruition.  Unfortunately, the forum still doesn't do a good job of this.

A little bit of planning could go a long way. I believe this forum is using a COTS platform right? Discord maybe? I understand configuration still takes dev time, but it would probably be worth it in the time saved manually curating the feature requests, and providing more accurate data on what features users are most interested in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mbarylski said:

A little bit of planning could go a long way. I believe this forum is using a COTS platform right? Discord maybe? I understand configuration still takes dev time, but it would probably be worth it in the time saved manually curating the feature requests, and providing more accurate data on what features users are most interested in. 

The issue is that no matter what we do it will never be a complete picture.  Requests in this forum are heavily skewed towards a power-user and more technical audience.  The average user never posts here.

So this input is very important, but it is only one piece of the picture.  It would be nice to have a more robust requests section but it isn't something we've been able to spend a lot of resources on to this point.

If you spend tons of time figuring out what requests are next and where to go next it detracts from actually going there. These are feature suggestions(not requests.. it isn't subservient) really. You suggest an idea. The idea gains traction. Eventually with enough noise in the thread it becomes clear that users who visit the forum are attracted or gravitate to that thread and like/post/etc in it. The suggestion or idea becomes validated.

The idea is what is important. The idea is still here. It is just in a fashion not entirely conducive to creating an atmosphere where you can find the bellwether. It isn't possible to have everything as the applications would become bloated sea manatees, not sustainable, and eventually become bug ridden spaghetti code. To keep them lean, mean and fighting machines you have to curate the ideas through some kind of screening or vetting process.

That is actually what this forum is quite adept at. These feature requests are actually done quite well. There is just no way to vote knowing you are voting. Btw voting is liking any post in the thread, posting in the thread and bumping it, etc.. An idea eventually fosters itself. That's all these feature requests are. Ideas that need fostering until they grow powerful enough to foster themselves.

Edited by speechles

PrincessClevage

One could add several columns:
Future requests
no of votes
Currently issues
Current work priority

To automate it is usually possible to link into current workload ticket system

neik
19 hours ago, ebr said:

19 hours ago, CBers said:

Correct it then please. 

I have also been wondering how big the Emby Team acutally is, as there is no evidence at all available on any page.
At least, I didn't find anything...
Would be nice to know how many people are working on/for Emby.

• 3 weeks later...
MBSki
23 minutes ago, quackpipe said:

I would like to add to the request for sync viewing please. 

@quackpipe Make sure to like the first post in this thread otherwise your vote won't be counted.

lastelement21

Just as an example: PlexTogether/SyncLounge essentially has one person/player as a leader, and then follower players load up roughly 10 seconds ahead of the leader and then they unpause on queue when the leader hits that timestamp.  Perfect sync is not required, as long as it is within a second or two, since its just for watching together over the internet.  If it falls too far out of sync, it retries jumping ahead/unpausing again.  It can restrict pausing to the leader, or allow any party member to pause.  I guess an emby plugin would use the already existing remote control features to set a timestamp/unpause players on queue from the server?  Not sure how players/users would opt in tho.

Edited by lastelement21

lastelement21

I spent the last day slamming something out.  Still very alpha, front-end is completely not done yet, but did get the proof of concept running.

In this vid, the right player begins playback on its own, starting 10 seconds ahead of the left, and unpauses automatically on time.  Ends up about 1 second or less apart normally.  Uses emby for auth,. and uses concepts of "rooms" and a "leader".  Each room is a sync group, the leader is who everyone else syncs to.  Project is in flask/python, and will have a web interface.  At the moment, assumes every user has an Emby Connect account.

Edited by lastelement21
  • Like 1