Test setup

ebr

I need to setup a Live TV environment for testing application functionality.

What would be the best approach with the least number of parts required?  I would only need to access it via MB and it would be good if it didn't require WMC because my server doesn't currently have that installed.

Latchmor

Since I'm not clued up on your TV options over there, are there any OTA options via a cheap USB stick? You can stick this into wherever you do have WMC and point ServerWMC to your actual server.

I feel as though I'm missing something here though...  :huh:

What would be the best approach with the least number of parts required?  I would only need to access it via MB and it would be good if it didn't require WMC because my server doesn't currently have that installed.

im85288

When I needed access for adding Live TV support the easiest and most practical solution I found was to ask a kind user to share the Live TV part of their server which I connected to remotely, other than that I think you will need to setup your own Live TV backend.

I do think I need to setup a Live TV backend so I can have a good environment to develop and test against.  I don't need cable card support or anything (I don't have cable anyway) so just OTA will be fine.

I'd like to do it without WMC if possible because I now run my main htpc as a nuc so I can't put a tv tuner card in it.  If there is a USB one, though, maybe that would work...

get a HDHomerun network tuner, and get one of the dlna models because that is what most of our efforts are going into supporting.

then it's a question of what live tv plugin with MBS. perhaps some users can comment on the new dvb plugin, but i've not tried media portal. so then between next pvr and server wmc, it's a question of how much does going without wmc mean to you, because next pvr is more complicated to setup. but it could be done.

im85288

Yes agreed network tuners are much better allowing you to stream your tv all over the place and freeing you from needing a pc with tv tuner card etc, I always recommend the Moi products (which I use myself with Kodi) such as: http://www.tbsdtv.com/products/moi-dvb-s2-streaming-box.html

However they only support linux tv backends such as TVHeadEnd and VDR which are not yet supported by the MBS

So, this one is the one I want since I want OTA and MB will handle HD streaming to my remote devices - correct?  This says it will work with HD "on your computer" so I assume that means that WMC or NextPVR or whatever will get the HD feeds and MB will take it from there.

Deihmos

I was looking to get one of those last month and cutting the cable but then the cable company said my internet bill would increase by $20.00 which is what I currently pay for cable tv. They were on sale for about $50.00.

I have the HDhomerun Prime and it works well. For OTA the Hdhomerun will work great.

According to the research I did, that model did not offer any significant improvement over the one I ordered.  One reviewer posted a 3% gain in signal quality.

Also, it actually isn't an advantage to have the absolute best equipment for testing anyway because most users don't either :).