Subtitles out of sync on transcoded media

EduardoSantos

EduardoSantos

I have two Rokus 3 both running version 1.78. 

One is connected to a 7.1 amp and it accordingly passes DTS/AC3 streams to the amp. It, thus exhibits a "direct play" on almost all MKVs. 

The second one is directly connected to a TV set. It transcodes the same MKVs that the other plays directly. As they are both configured to the maximum 20MHz bitstream I regard this transcoding relates to the sound stream.

Problem is that subtitles "arrive too early" on this second Roku. The same movies that shows correct subtitle sync on the first Roku, show them two seconds early on this device.

I got the impression server gets delayed by initiating the transcode process but the subtitles are served to the device just as the movie were not transcoded. 

I made some additional tests playing/transcoding the same movies to both the web and android clients but was unable to reproduce the behavior.

Though I am not certain, It seems this behavior started with the last app update (1.78).

Server version is  3.0.5490.2

Thanks for any advice,

Edited by EduardoSantos

EduardoSantos

I've made some additional tests and the behavior also occurs on the first roku if the movie is transcoded (e.g.: *.avi or mkvs with flac audio streams).

So this occurs on alll Roku 3 devices I have.

Any advice?

I get the issue of ill sync'd subtitles on transcoded media as well on my ROKU 3.   I experienced it when I went to a friends house and hooked up my ROKU.  I proceeded to stream a movie that was transcoded and the subtitles were ahead of the movie by about 30 secs or so.

Koleckai Silvestri

I've had the same issue. It varies on the video though so I don't think the problem is specifically with MediaBrowser. Would be nice if we could specify a subtitle offset in the metadata. However, I am not sure how practical that is. 

• 3 weeks later...
legallink

I have this issue consistently.  The subtitles for me are ahead by 30+ seconds on transcoded media with a Roku 3 that is directly connected to the TV.  It doesn't matter if only doing forced subtitles or all subtitles (like in the Avengers)....same result.

ginjaninja

I havent tested all subtitles types rigorously, i have noticed that subtitles are becoming more robust in the sense of showing up as each version comes out....but they seem out of phase more often than not.

an example last night...mkv with subrip/srt ...subtitles are too soon by 5 seconds on roku....fine on web client and mpc-hc

so in this instance an offset in the metadata wouldnt help (the subtitles are encoded properly)...an ability to shift subtitles in microseconds on roku client would help in the short term if possible

Koleckai Silvestri

How I fix it is by using MKVMerge and embedding the SRT file right into the MKV file. You can then adjust time offsets to correct the issue. Can be tedious though. I am sure you can probably do this in the SRT file as well but haven't had time to look into it.

• 3 weeks later...
EduardoSantos

How I fix it is by using MKVMerge and embedding the SRT file right into the MKV file. You can then adjust time offsets to correct the issue. Can be tedious though. I am sure you can probably do this in the SRT file as well but haven't had time to look into it.

Adjusting delay on mkv will circunvent the problem but make the file usable only to the Roku wich get transcoded. All other devices (web, android, win8) will get the subtitle late. This is no solution.

EduardoSantos

Dear Mediabrowser team,

I am convinced this is a bug on Roku app.

I understand most US users do not need subtitles for most of the movies.

The rest of the world, though, uses them to watch almost every movie.

It has been almost two months I reported this problem.

My Rokus got an MB update and now they run 1.87.

My MB Server also got an updade and now runs version 3.0.5518.7

Up to now I got no real answer about development team testing this behavior and, thus, confirming it.

Will there be no future fix to this?

I can wait any time but I would like to know this would be solved someday on the future.

Any, any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Koleckai Silvestri

Adjusting delay on mkv will circunvent the problem but make the file usable only to the Roku wich get transcoded. All other devices (web, android, win8) will get the subtitle late. This is no solution.

We just use the external srt file with other clients. Works for us and even though we are Americans, I need subtitles on everything I watch.

Use it or not. Was offering a suggestion for now and not six months down the road when it gets fixed.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

Dear Mediabrowser team,

I am convinced this is a bug on Roku app.

I understand most US users do not need subtitles for most of the movies.

The rest of the world, though, uses them to watch almost every movie.

It has been almost two months I reported this problem.

My Rokus got an MB update and now they run 1.87.

My MB Server also got an updade and now runs version 3.0.5518.7

Up to now I got no real answer about development team testing this behavior and, thus, confirming it.

Will there be no future fix to this?

I can wait any time but I would like to know this would be solved someday on the future.

Any, any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

is this on internal subtitles?

legallink

Like, can you clarify what you mean by "internal subtitles"?

For me it is subtitles through SRT.  Are you asking about subtitles that have been burned into the file as opposed to an SRT?  If that is your question, I have no answer, as I don't burn my subtitles into the file, but I could .

Koleckai Silvestri

Internal would mean the subtitle stream is inside the same file with the video and audio streams. If you're using MKV, this could be "burned in", pgsub, dvdsub or other types including SRT. External subtitles would an external file like %episode%.srt.

EduardoSantos

Luke,

First of all, thanks for your attention.

This occurs both with separate .srt files and "internal" mkv embedded subtitles.

Regards,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Xzener

Can you supply a copy of a popular .srt movie file? I'm a big Syfy buff, maybe the newer Star Trek or Iron Man subtitle .srt file.

Edited by Xzener

Thanks. I will have a look at this over the weekend. Most of my MKVs are bluray rips including .pgs for subtitle streams. I wonder what takes precedents during playback if both are provided.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay. I cannot get the movie to play using your subtitle file. Its only picking up my .pgs streams during playback. Unable to duplicate. I will try to remux without the .pgs streams.

LupisDominus

I have this problem too.  Seems to happen more often on my tv series.  I have played around with encoding them in other formats, but they always play too fast.  Seems to be perfectly fine on my computer -as others have stated- but the Roku plays them too fast.

I need the subtitles, as I set this up for my elderly mother who is hard of hearing.  I love Emby, but I might look into something else if I can't get these to work right.

I mean, whats the point of doing all this work to set this up for her, and have the subtitles be out of sync so often?

Maybe if I lowered the transcoding quality?  Would that help things sync up better if I do that?

I'm thinking I should have stuck with my original plan of using Windows Home Server 2011 :P  At least I know it sends media properly.

I just really like the user friendly interface of the Roku client.  Easy to use for a technology challenged older person.