No Media Center in Windows 10

KarterJK

Koleckai Silvestri

I know a lot of you will eventually miss WMC but I am glad that they are killing it off. I hope this means that Emby Theater will finally get development focus to become the flagship client it was once promoted as.

Deihmos

The best option for TV is going to be Kodi if you have an HDhomerun. They are working on a PVR that will also work with copyonce channels. Kodi with the mediabrowser addon is the way to go if you ask me. I also don't see anything wrong with sticking with WMC on Win 8.1. It works great for live tv.

Koleckai Silvestri

The best option for TV is going to be Kodi if you have an HDhomerun. They are working on a PVR that will also work with copyonce channels. Kodi with the mediabrowser addon is the way to go if you ask me. I also don't see anything wrong with sticking with WMC on Win 8.1. It works great for live tv.

Makes sense for those who have and/or care about Live TV.

vaise

Hi,

Now this is official, and we are just a few months away from the release of Windows 10, I guess its time to look at options for the future.

I have invested heavily in media centre over the years - as in I have 6 XBOX360 devices (one in each room) that deliver extender content. I have 6 tuners in my main Win 8 server in the garage, that is using IceTV to flag stuff we want to record, then it just does it (with no repeats recorded).  That covers the free to air.  This is NOT only used for media delivery, but also lots of other things, hence the Windows 10 upgrade.  Then I have emby on the server (or course or I would not be here) and a large collection of TV and Movies, with Emby for WMC on each xbox.

I have been using the Windows 10 insider preview on my laptop for a long while now, and each fast build makes it better and better, and the last one is very polished and it all just works.  So moving to Windows 10 is what I want to do - so staying on Win8 is not an option I am entertaining.  

Options for Emby and content delivery :

1 - (My preference) - Emby native app for XBOX360 ?  Any chance ?  Seeing as Plex have it ? 

2 - Sell all the XBOX360's and buy Roku boxes (I have one and it is working well) - estimated changeover $500)

3 - Move to Plex completely (I have it running along side emby for testing) - pay lifetime plex subscruption - $149

4 - Sell all xboxes, and buy XBox One's (assume emby app for XBONE as its reported 'watch this space') - $2000!!!

Options for Free to Air recording on my 6 tuners (they MUST support IceTV - and must be still current) :

1 - Media Portal

2 - MythTV

I cant imagine I am in the only one faced with these decisions.

Any thoughts out there ?

Cheers,

Vaise

tsmarcus

I'm sticking with my Windows 7 setup as long as I can. Emby Classic works great. Hopefully by the time MS stops support on W7 we will have a proven replacement that Emby runs on.

Edited by tsmarcus
  • Like 2

TheWorkz

I'm sticking with my Windows 7 setup as long as I can. Emby Classic works great. Hopefully by the time MS stops support on W7 we will have a proven replacement that Emby runs on.

I am with you on this. Windows 7 end of extended support is January 14th 2020. Hoping that they continue to update their tv guides until then because I am using a Ceton card and need to find something that handles TV's DRM. Ceton did post something on FB this about developing something new. I'll believe it when I see it.

vaise

Luke, does 'We'd like to' mean there is an Emby app for XBOX360 in the works ?  

vaise

Free Windows 10 upgrade is expected to be for a year, then you have to pay for it.  But id still like it sooner rather than later.

MBFanAddict

Although I have never been a fan of Media center except for its tuner and DVR goodness...this is really sad because Emby Classic has been by FAR the best client for Emby since its creation years ago. It work best with remotes, its themes look absolutely gorgeous, they impress everyone I have shown them too or setup for for many years. Game Browser is sweet too. I think Emby Classic is the showcase of Emby interface and capabilities.

Emby Theater is coming along VERY slowly but is still far far far from the skinability and tweakability of Emby Classic.

I really hope Emby Theater comes a long way very quickly. I have a huge collection of plugins and themes (most purchased) for Classic and am seriously sad that this will die out. I would much prefer to go to WIn 10 but  not having MB Classic will keep me from adopting an entire OS for the first time in the existence of Windows.

• Like 4

vaise

I personally was having a really hard time with lockups on my system, on 6 separate xboxes, that has only been fixed in the lat two/3 weeks (with that last dev build) - so I am having to fall in love with it again - at the end of its life.  But I do love the Roku 3 player and Emby - which kept the wife at peace and so I just had the kids fed up with the lockups (and us if we were downstairs, or in the media room, as the roku is just in the bedroom).  We currently flip between Emby classic and roku - depending if we were watching recorded TV via WMC beforehand....

The Emby roku client is fine, not as good as the plex app though (needs the pop ups when on a file).  The plex app on xbox360 is exactly the same as the roku plex app - so in my opinion, if an Emby app for the XBOX360 is close/same as the Emby app for the Roku - they I am very happy - Windows 10 here I come then!  Will I miss LiveTV ?  I doubt it - I cant remember the last time I ever watched live TV - or saw an Ad.

Cheers.

jhevener

Once again, MS screws its loyal customers. <_<  Looks like I'll be getting another HDHomeRun Prime and start using their DVR software/service because I really like Windows 10 but I watch protected content. I have comcast, two cablecards and have used WMC for live tv for years with no issues whatsoever. Oh well, I still have the option to keep using Win7, WMC, ServerWMC and Emby Server on my server until something better comes along.

• 2 weeks later...
breezytm

I don't understand what the big deal is really. 

Windows 7 extended support ends January 14th, 2020 which means Microsoft has to maintain it until then (Guide should still be available)

When 2020 reaches simply upgrade to windows 8 if you like or stay with 7. Windows 8 extended support ends January 10th, 2023. Both Windows 7 and 8 uses the same guide data servers. 

You don't have to be running the latest and the greatest. As long as it works. 2023 is 8 years from now. A lot of room and time for growth in small companies like SD and hopefully Ceton. 

If you want to run windows 10 so bad, simply buy an intel nuc which is pretty cheap and make it your designaed HTPC. It can run windows 7 for the next 8 years necessary. I'll start worrying when MS announces it'll no longer be providing anymore data guide. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
tboneynot

MBFanAddict is entirely correct, and I couldn't agree more with every one of his comments.

I really hope Emby Theater comes to the place MBFanAddict describes before Win7/Emby Classic dies, as Classic is the only/best reason I too have been loyal to Emby over time.  I love me some Emby Classic.

• Like 1

Deihmos

Win 10 has been terrible to me. I don't like the direction they took with switchable tablet mode and the UI choices. I will be sticking with Win 8.1 unless they can get it right but that is highly unlikely. As it is right now Win 10 has been horrible on  tablet.

• 2 weeks later...
trooper11

~

Win 10 has been terrible to me. I don't like the direction they took with switchable tablet mode and the UI choices. I will be sticking with Win 8.1 unless they can get it right but that is highly unlikely. As it is right now Win 10 has been horrible on  tablet.

I'm not sure why you think its highly unlikely that the tablet side of the ui would improve from where it is right now.  Heck, build 134 improved continuum behavior and changed the way apps behave to more closely match behavior in 8.1.

Deihmos

Win 10 launches in a few weeks. Everyone has concluded that this is what it will be like. I don't even like the switching on and off tablet mode. With it off you can't even use touch functions like swiping down to close the app. Win8.1 worked well in either mode without the need for a switch. It just needed a few tweaks and not a complete overhaul. I can use win 10 on my laptop because it does not have touch and I don't use wmc on it. I can't use it on my surface or HTPCs.

Edited by Deihmos