Live TV

reluctantflux

reluctantflux

Is there a way to use the Live TV setup and features from MBS, or does it make more sense to setup the PVR plugin individually for the backend?  I just want to know what's best practice, and if there's any additional functionality through MBS if you can go through there.  From the Mediabrowser/Kodi news post, it sounds like it's possible and has benefits, but I couldn't find any way to set it up.

I did notice that the news post top screen had a view that I couldn't achieve through setting it up just as a PVR plugin to ServerWMC.  

Thanks!

Edited by reluctantflux

saitoh183

ServerWMC can handle linking your Kodi with MBS. In Kodi you just install the WMC addon,point it to your ServerWMC and in MBS just install the plugin and then you can manage everything via MBS

• Like 1

reluctantflux

That's pretty much how I have it setup.  So from a strictly Kodi experience, Mediabrowser doesn't factor into Live TV at all.

Oddly, I have no issues with the web client or phone client working with live tv, but I can't get the ServerWMC PVR client to work right. It just stays stuck on "buffering" indefinitely.  Occasionally I'll get one or two frames of video (like once every five minutes if I let it go).  I've attached my kodi log if anyone here has any ideas. Otherwise, I'll take it over to the Kodi forums.

kodi.log

Edited by reluctantflux

saitoh183

How are setup exactly? MBS on separate box from your HTPC and tv card? Are you over wifi or cable?

reluctantflux

Both are VM's on the same Unraid host.  WMC 8.1 has a dedicated Vid card. Client Win 8.1 machine has a dedicated NIC and Vid card.  

Krusty helped me out with this on the Kodi forums. Turns out, it was a Netbios issue. If I changed my Folder tab in ServerWMC to use the IP instead of Netbios name, then it worked fine.  

Thanks for your help!

• Like 2

saitoh183

Both are VM's on the same Unraid host.  WMC 8.1 has a dedicated Vid card. Client Win 8.1 machine has a dedicated NIC and Vid card.  

Krusty helped me out with this on the Kodi forums. Turns out, it was a Netbios issue. If I changed my Folder tab in ServerWMC to use the IP instead of Netbios name, then it worked fine.  

Thanks for your help!

Glad you worked it out. Please mark your reply as Answered so people know that the issue is closed. :)

im85288

Is there a way to use the Live TV setup and features from MBS, or does it make more sense to setup the PVR plugin individually for the backend?  I just want to know what's best practice, and if there's any additional functionality through MBS if you can go through there.  From the Mediabrowser/Kodi news post, it sounds like it's possible and has benefits, but I couldn't find any way to set it up.

I did notice that the news post top screen had a view that I couldn't achieve through setting it up just as a PVR plugin to ServerWMC.  

Thanks!

Hello, firstly this addon does NOT support the live TV content from MBS. You will get a far better experience using the native Kodi PVR features connected to your chosen Live TV backend. This is what I and many others do to get the best of both worlds.

• 2 months later...
fantaxp7

I was wondering, now with embytv and the new method of emby-kodi syncing, could emby act as a pvr plugin to kodi? 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
daniellog

I was hoping to share my live tv with my family with emby and kodi over the internet. But I'm disappointed there is no kodi support for live TV. Any plans to implement it?

mellomade

I was wondering, now with embytv and the new method of emby-kodi syncing, could emby act as a pvr plugin to kodi? 

I am really intrigued by EmbyTV - as a current ServerWMC user on Windows I (and many others) are itching for an alternative from WMC.  A true Kodi PVR addon would be the best solution I think - but it might be way to early in EmbyTV's dev to think about that. 

Cool stuff though to ponder for the future!

• Like 1

marcelveldt

I was hoping to share my live tv with my family with emby and kodi over the internet. But I'm disappointed there is no kodi support for live TV. Any plans to implement it?

Kodi has it's own TV implementation and every popular device/backend is supported. It will not be very likely that a standalone PVR addon becomes available for EmbyTV on Kodi, unless there are some C++ developers around here that want to create it :-)

fantaxp7

I'd really like to see it as well, have emby serve TV to kodi as I stated above.

However I am using using mythbuntu with kodi and it has worked really well. The combo of mythbuntu and emby sync with kodi has been fantastic. I also still use emby TV for mobile devices and to record shows if needed.

fantaxp7

However I certainly understand the complications and just wanted to share my configuration.

mellomade

Kodi has it's own TV implementation and every popular device/backend is supported. It will not be very likely that a standalone PVR addon becomes available for EmbyTV on Kodi, unless there are some C++ developers around here that want to create it :-)

The problem IMHO is that there are really no (Windows based) PVR backends that are stable and easy to use.  This is why I think so many people flock to WMC still.  It is easy to setup and there is no worry about whether it is going to screw up recordings, crash my server, or need constant attention and maintenance. 

I have tried long testing sessions with NextPVR, Argus and MediaPortal - and they all needed far more attention than WMC.  Which I guess is why I continue to hunt for a comparable replacement.  Since I already am trying to run Emby for movies and shows - it would be awesome to be able to use it for Live TV too.

But you are right - time will tell if someone has the interest and drive to develop such things.

marcelveldt

Did you try DvbLink? I have been using for years at my own setup and still running it at setups of family and friends. Working perfecty fine but it is not free (but not very expensive though).

At the moment I switched to tvheadend on Linux with my HDHomeRun tuners and I was surprised how stable that runs too btw.

mellomade

I did not try DVBLink because it uses the commercial variant of Schedules Direct (Perc) for EPG data in North America which needs yet another subscription......

I am not opposed to paying licenses for software that will be solid - so maybe I should bite the bullet and test this if you guys are having good experiences with DVBLink.

Linux unfortunately is not an option for my server because I use iTunes as a whole home music server.

Edited by mellomade

im85288

Another plus+1 for tvheadend as the backend, channel switch is instant, timeshift works etc etc. For europeans buy a network tuner moi plus which is basically plug and play, no fiddling with Linux settings etc.

Spaceboy

Dvblink here, relatively satisfied customer. I think the new TV adviser (basically their own epg data) is a bit pricey but I signed up to that too as they discontinued digiguide as a supplier

fantaxp7

I think I should also mention I am one of the luckier Comcast subscribers whose area doesn't need play ready or whatever to get all my channels. That's obviously another problem with users switching from WMC.

Mythbuntu or mythtv was relatively easy to setup. WMC was by far the easiest and I don't think you'll find anything that easy anytime soon. Silicon dust coming out with their new "thing" may be the answer actually now that I think about it.

mellomade

WMC was by far the easiest and I don't think you'll find anything that easy anytime soon. Silicon dust coming out with their new "thing" may be the answer actually now that I think about it.

I think that is what lots of us are hoping.  However what they have stated so far is a little unnerving.  No EPG and no real Kodi PVR addon means that we're probably talking 2016 before anything gets ironed out.

Though what I have seen from EmbyTV is pretty easy to use and set up as well.  In fact by 2016 I would think this could be a real competitor.

• 4 weeks later...
archangelz

Now that Emby has built in Live TV and DVR capabilities. Could we possibly get this added into to Kodi plugin as a LiveTV/PVR provider? 

Edited by archangelz

I think the Kodi guys have a lot on their plate with the normal add-on so Luke and I are investigating options for getting a Live TV add-on built.  No promises, but we are looking into it.

• Like 3

puithove

@@ebr - That definitely has my interest.  I'm currently using TVHeadend as my PVR backend for my Kodi clients.  I've been a little disappointed with TVHeadend for my purposes and have been shopping around a little lately.  It would definitely be nice to have Kodi be a direct client to Emby's new built-in PVR functionality.

im85288

@@ebr - That definitely has my interest.  I'm currently using TVHeadend as my PVR backend for my Kodi clients.  I've been a little disappointed with TVHeadend for my purposes and have been shopping around a little lately.  It would definitely be nice to have Kodi be a direct client to Emby's new built-in PVR functionality.

Out of interest what issues are you having with tvheadend? Personally I've been running it for approx 3 years and it never misses a beat. EPG always pulled in, recordings as per schedule (also possible to schedule with iOS clients), channel changing time instant, time shift working well now with the newer builds..and best of all it runs on Linux so super stable with an extremely small memory/resource footprint.

puithove

This is a little off topic but...

Don't get me wrong.  Overall TVH works well.

However, for me timeshifting is still an issue - it's not reliable for LIveTV, and it'll just plain jump erratically in recordings (often ending up jumping to the start instead of skipping forward).  

It doesn't natively support virtual channels needed for cablecard type setups - so it doesn't directly support my HDHomerun Primes.  I had to cobble some stuff together with my own scripts to make it work via the IPTV inputs.  Now that I've got it working, that part works well.  It's always felt like a kludge though, and I keep waiting for it to fall apart.  I put a lot of time into it, and when you compare that to being up and running in 5mins or less with what Emby is doing, it kinda makes you think.

I've never been a fan of the recording engine.  The series recording rules are very basic.  Part of the problem here is that I got a bit spoiled with MythTV's rules - where you could get really specific by including and/or excluding things.  Also the database of previous recordings to do away with duplicates and such has part of me wishing I hadn't pulled away from MythTV.

But you're right, it's lightweight, and it's been working quite consistently since I got it all going.

I'm kinda excited for the prospects of what Luke has alluded to with the TV features in Emby though.  The mashup of the LiveTV, recording, and library stuff (with watched status and such coming across) could be pretty interesting.  At this point that's all I am - interested.  I'm not sold on it yet, and would be looking to make sure it's something we could rely on.  My wife uses the LiveTV more than library type stuff so it's probably more important.  Actually, that's one advantage to having the two be separate - it's possible for one to be down while the other's working :)

Edited by puithove