Windows Server Multi-DIsc problem

KHTar

I'm new to the forum and I have done extensive searches for my problems, though I guess its possible I missed the answers in the forum somewhere.  I currently have Media Browser server for windows 7 64-bit, version 3.0.5490.2, and the newest Roku channel version 1.79.  The two are connected over wifi using 5GHz so the transfer speed and connection is completely fine.  In my server setup I have ripped about 50 DVD's to folder structure (video_ts folders).  I have followed the naming conventions for movies listed at https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie%20naming,  This has resulted in most single disc movies playing perfectly fine using MB classic for media center, including DVD menus which I love (only server software I can find that plays DVD menus outside of My Movies for media center).

I have 2 problems however, 1 is likely an app issue and probably should be posted in the Roku forum but my other issue is with the server itself.  My server problem is that when the media was imported into media browser server library it automatically targeted the "Disc 1" folder in the multi-disc rips.  The problem with this is that it doesn't even recognize Disc 2 as part of the rip.  I tried to manually re-target this to the parent folder but it won't let me edit the path in the library.

Example:  I have all movies stored in \\server\Video\Movies\, then under this I have \The Lord of the Rings\The Fellowship of the Ring\Disc 1\VIDEO_TS\, but I also have  \The Lord of the Rings\The Fellowship of the Ring\Disc 2\VIDEO_TS\ and the same thing for discs 3 and 4.  Media Library under the server setup lists the path to Movie "The Fellowship of the Ring" as  \The Lord of the Rings\The Fellowship of the Ring\Disc 1\.  And even under MB classic there is no recognition of Disc 2.

My Roku channel question (which I will repost in the Roku forum) is, does the Roku channel player support DVD menus like MB Classic for media center does.  It appears to me that it doesn't but I may not have set it up properly.  If there is some setting I can change then I would love to be able to do this on the Roku channel.

Any help with either problem would be appreciated.

Thanks

P.S.  Incidentally I would love to be able to use the metadata from My Movies collection management software, if there is any way to merge this with Media Browser metadata manager that would be great as well.

I imagine your multi-disc titles are being recognized just fine.  If you go into one of them with the web client you should see an "Additional Parts" section right below the main info.  This will be your other discs.

In MBC, when you attempt to play the item, it should produce a menu allowing you to select the disc to play.

Unless I am missing something I don't see that option.  When I right-click on the MediaBrowser Server Icon in the taskbar I select Browse Library.  This opens the web interface, in here I select movies and then click on one of the multi-disc movies in question.  Once in here I see movie info including title, ratings, synopsis and 3 buttons (Play, Trailer and Options).  In the options button menu I see Add to playlist, Edit and Refresh.  Underneath all this I see sections for Cast and Crew, Details (including links to websites, studios and keywords), Awards and Reviews, and Media Info (which just shows codec info for video and audio information).  Its in the Media Info section that I see the path to the movie mentioned in my first post.  I am unable to change this path or add to it.  There is nowhere on this page that has anything that says "Additional parts"

If I open the options menu from the buttons underneath the movie info and click on edit I am taken into the metadata manager.  In here I see Meta Data info which includes Path again, but no Additional Parts section.  Underneath all that info I see External Id's, Display Settings, Countries, Genres, People, Plot Keywords, Studios, Tags, and Metadata settings.  When opening all these menus there is no section or setting for Additional Parts.

I hope this clarifies my issue.  I am either looking in the completely wrong place or totally missing something because I don't see the option for additional parts anywhere.

Thanks

P.S.  Incidentally I would love to be able to use the metadata from My Movies collection management software, if there is any way to merge this with Media Browser metadata manager that would be great as well.

MyMovies started encrypting their data a few years ago so we cannot use it.

Okay, there does appear to be a problem with mult-disc DVD rips.  This must have been introduced recently because it used to work.

I just recreated your structure and I also do not see the additional parts.  @@Luke do you know about this?

MyMovies started encrypting their data a few years ago so we cannot use it.

My Movies has an option which you get if you purchase the software to store meta-data for MediaBrowser movie.xml files.  Does this work with the current version of MediaBrowser?

we really have no idea how well they're keeping up to date, to be honest. i imagine it will work to some extent, yes.

I inquired over there to find out the answer also.  I just figured someone here might have both and know the answer.

Thanks anyhow

I just wanted to add that this issue was brought up in this thread:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/14284-disc-01disc-02-sets-no-longer-recognized-in-windows-server/page-2&do=findComment&comment=166679

Also,  the "additional parts" only displays 12 discs (and not necessarily the first 12) in Media Browser Classic.  This can be an issue for some larger TV shows that span a lot of discs.  There were some additional observations posted in the thread above from other posters. 

AdrianW

Also,  the "additional parts" only displays 12 discs (and not necessarily the first 12) in Media Browser Classic.  This can be an issue for some larger TV shows that span a lot of discs.  

TV shows work much better in all respects when ripped to individual episodes. If you don't want to re-encode, then just use MakeMKV which just packages up the original video/audio streams into mkv containers.

AdrianW,

I've had my media collection sorted for the last few years using past versions of MediaBrowser 2 and 3 with one minor issue (which was resolved by the devs).  Since I chose to use Video_TS as my format, I used the recommended naming scheme for both Movies and TV Collections.  Again the 12-disc limit is a new problem which surfaced in recent updates of MB3 (I noticed it around Nov. 2014); I did not have this problem before.

I don't plan on re-encoding my current DVD library. I had trouble with a large portion of my TV show DVD's and MakeMKV in the past due to the variety of ways companies lay out episodes/extras.  Since Media Center has fairly decent DVD playback capability, the Video_TS approach was the most consistent way for me to watch my content when not playing from the disc.  It's strange that this issue suddenly occurred on the MB side

fraenhawk

Ok, should be resolved for the next release.

That's great news. I was looking through the github wikis and rearranging a few things to be more with the standards - I had

Movies/MovieName Disc 1/video_ts

Movies/MovieName Disc 2/video_ts

and changed them to be one MovieName folder with Disc 1 and Disc 2 subfolders and noticed I just got Play Part 1 as my only option. Glad it wasn't just me.