Chocolate Theme EHS slow to update on launch

scharbag

scharbag

As the title says, since the last update, Chocolate theme's EHS is very slow to update content.  

I am running 3.0.243.0 MBC and 3.0.5490.2 MBS versions.  All running on Windows 7 systems (server on a VBox Windows 7 VM on my FreeNAS box).

The delay happens when I initially launch MBC or log back into MBC after it has reverted to the user selection screen.

I have tried Square theme and it does not suffer the same delay.  I just really like the chocolate theme and hope that this delay can be figured out.  Given enough time, the EHS updates and all is well.  Entering individual folders immediately shows the proper content, even if the EHS has to yet populated.  Not a huge deal but if there is something that can be fixed, I would like to help track down any information that would help out.

I have looked through the logs and nothing seems to be amiss but I am a bit of a n00b so take that with a grain of salt.

Please let me know what information may help with this issue.

Cheers,

Edited by scharbag

scharbag

Attached are my 2 log files after a server reset and logging in on one of the clients.

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Note:  after uploading the logs, I deleted all of the image cache on the client and the system is speedy again...

Note 2: it crashed after I tried to enter a series and then the next time it loaded slow again...

Cheers,

MBClassic-271201586c92eb651bd4484a546bcf87b4dc83c.log

server-63557984715.txt

Edited by scharbag

Two things:

1) Delete the Aztec theme.  It is expired anyway.

2) Your server appears to be in the middle of a library scan and discovering new content and changes to content.  You should test this with the server not in the middle of a large task like that if you can.

Cheesegeezer

Two things:

1) Delete the Aztec theme.  It is expired anyway.

I was gonna ask if you had any of Lee's themes installed. But Ebr beat me to it.

scharbag

I deleted the theme.  Still has the same sluggishness on launch.  The EHS used to populate instantly on launch, now it takes some 10 - 20 seconds to show the Unwatched content.  This is with and without the server scanning for new content (that also never used to cause any issues).

I will try a reboot just to see if that has any affect after the theme deletion.

Thank you for the help!

Investigate any potential hardware delays that may have been introduced.  New drives put on line, potential failing or sleeping drives, etc.

scharbag

Reboot did not change the behaviour.  No hardware has been changed and I am getting the same delay on both of my MBC systems.

EHS Unwatched takes a long time to populate but the backdrops show up immediately (Show Recent Items Backdrops are used).  This has all started since the latest updates of both MBS and MBC.  

Strange thing is the EHS for Square theme populates immediately when used on these systems.  Not a huge deal, first world problem and all that:)

Attached is a MBC and MBS log from this morning right when I launched the MBC.  Server was not busy when this was made.

Thank you again for the help!

Cheers,

MBClassic-301201525fc4ab586fa42f89b6ea189b10480d3.log

server-63558186301.txt

Have you added a lot more content (especially TV episodes)?

Did you change the setting for the RAL from being just new to unplayed?

scharbag

No, I did try to add music but it did not work very well.  So I got rid of that media location.

I always have listed unwatched and it is usually very fast.

I am trying to remember if the slowness corresponded to when I tried to add the music...  Should I try removing and re-installing MBC?

Cheers,

No, reinstalling MBC will have no effect.

I suppose you could try clearing out your image cache but I don't hold out much hope for that either.

scharbag

I tried that.  It seemed to make no real difference...  Again, first world problems.  Hope it works it self out in future upgrades:)

Cheers,

scharbag

So, this gets very strange.  Still with the Chocolate theme.

I changed the IP address of my server, ran the configurator and the first time I logged into the server, the EHS updated immediately.  Second time I log in with MBC, it has a delay again.

So, I went through the MBC application data folder and deleted any references to old themes as well as the image cache.  Again, the first time I logged in, the EHS populated immediately.  On susequent logins, it takes over 30 seconds for the EHS to populate the unwatched content.

The EHS backdrops always update within a second or 2 upon login though, so I do not think it is an access or network issue.

My setup is:

• MBS is running on a Windows 7 VM which runs in a VirtualBox (4.3.12) Jail on top of my FreeNAS server
    • 32 Bit VM
    • 2GB Ram
    • 1 vCPU (never pins at 100% unless streaming, usually runs at close to 0%)
  • MBC
    • Windows 7 (1 32 bit, 1 64 bit)
    • running on i3 3.3GHz machines with Asus MB
    • 4GB ad 8GB ram
  • FreeNAS Server
    • Xeon E3-1230
    • 32GB Ram
    • gigabit lan (Intel) integral to Tyan server board
    • NAS uses ZFS backend and CIFS shares

​Seems like everything is working well.  I can always access the NAS shares without delay from server and clients.

Logs are attached.  First log is when the EHS populated quickly.  Second log is when there is delay.

Anywhoo, just very strange that my system is behaving in such a freaky way.  If there is anything that you can suggest, please let me know.

Cheers,

MBClassic-322015702d175f1e70482591115e60d6269388.log

MBClassic-322015145729fb9fc14130823a28a9469708c5.log

Edited by scharbag

Deihmos

My setup is:

• MBS is running on a Windows 7 VM with runs in a VirtualBox Jail on top of my FreeNAS server
    • 32 Bit VM
    • 2GB Ram
    • 1 vCPU (never pins at 100% unless streaming, usually runs at close to 0%)

Why so mny VMs to run MB server?

Edited by Deihmos

scharbag

Lol, I am not sure.  It works though.

I tried the MBS plugin for FreeNAS but ran into some file access issues.  Given the Windows version works, I continue to use it.  And since I have a server that runs 24/7/365 with adequate resources, I run a bunch of VMs on top of FreeNAS.

Anywhoo, this setup was working just peachy keen until recently.  Not sure what is causing the issue :(

Cheers,

I dunno.  I can't see anything obvious.  Some internal changes are coming in the beta I'm about to put up.  You can try that and see if it helps.

scharbag

I will see if that helps when it comes out.  So strange.  I have even re-loaded SAMBA to ensure it is running the best protocol for Windows 7.  No change.  Just so freaky that it loads uber fast on the first launch after doing some things then gets slow again...

Thanks again for the info and keep the releases rolling!

scharbag

So, trying a fresh server install in a new VM.  Man does it take a long time to scan my library for the fist time...

Will keep you posted.  This may just be a 30 second delay but it just bothers me...  OCD and all that.

Cheers,

Trevor68

simple, its the new "server views" causing it. Switch to Legacy Views enjoy 10 second startup vs 90 seconds. Was annoying me too, all fixed now.

Edited by Trevor68

simple, its the new "server views" causing it. Switch to Legacy Views enjoy 10 second startup vs 90 seconds. Was annoying me too, all fixed now.

This is a completely different issue.  Please create a new thread with specifics of the problem you were having and a log.  Thx.

Oh sorry, seemed similiar. Its ok, I have no issue using the old views.

I'd like to fix whatever the problem is so if you could please open an issue and post the log I'd appreciate it.  No one else has reported this problem.

Trevor68

seems to be getting quicker, maybe only 30 seconds for server views to start now, vs 10 for old views. Hard to say its really a "problem" now, beyond the new views being horrid and not displaying favorites. If you really want a log i can probably figure out how to do so, but again quite happy with the way things are.

scharbag

New server did not make the problem go away.  I do dig the new CoverArt layouts though!

Delay is still 30 seconds or so to populate the EHS.  Still running the version 3.0.5490.2 server and 3.0.243.0 classic.

Web interface is speedy.  Complete library refresh takes 49 seconds...  So the server seems to be working just fine.

Still holding out hope that this issue gets resolved by some magic but it is tricky given there is nothing really obvious in the logs.

That said, my server computer used to launch with a log window.  I cannot for the life of me figure out where that is now.  Did that go the way of the dodo at some point?

Cheers,