Series + Movie link

MndWrp

Hi all.. i was wondering if there is a way to link together related series and movies. Ex Firefly and it's conclusion movie Serenity. I can add them both to a collection i guess but as far as i tried they don't show up in my series section. Maybe we could just have a way to link them like we can link music videos to albums..

Thoughts?

thanks!

• Like 5

yea it's something i'd like to do in the future. collections are really the only way in the meantime.

• Like 2

• 7 years later...

I'm starting to collect a lot more tv shows that are related to movies, and I'd like to be able to link them to each other so I know there's a related show or movie. At the moment the only way to do this is with a collection, but I'm finding a lot of shows that are only related to a single movie and a collection wouldn't make sense.

Please add a function to link TV Shows to a Movie.

FrostByte

There used to be a way to link an album to a movie or TV Show also by adding it to the metadata.  That was nice because you could link a soundtrack on the details page without having to create a collection for everything

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

There used to be a way to link an album to a movie or TV Show also by adding it to the metadata.  That was nice because you could link a soundtrack on the details page without having to create a collection for everything

Ah, yes, I'd like to be able to do that too. Good point!

So was the function removed?

FrostByte
15 minutes ago, MBSki said:

Ah, yes, I'd like to be able to do that too. Good point!

So was the function removed?

Yes, long time ago.  Not sure why.  You would just add a link to it in metadata editor and it would show up down below in details.

5 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Yes, long time ago.  Not sure why.  You would just add a link to it in metadata editor and it would show up down below in details.

Well, that's a bummer. @Luke Can we revive this linking feature?

This isn't suggested as a replacement for this feature request, but it's useful for some cases.

You can add a strm file link to a movie in your library as a TV show special, then use the metadata editor to fit it into the episode order of the show.

This comes in handy for shows like Battlestar Galactica that had several TV movies and webisodes.

26 minutes ago, roaku said:

This isn't suggested as a replacement for this feature request, but it's useful for some cases.

You can add a strm file link to a movie in your library as a TV show special, then use the metadata editor to fit it into the episode order of the show.

This comes in handy for shows like Battlestar Galactica that had several TV movies and webisodes.

Does that only work when linking a movie to a TV show and not a TV Show to a movie? So, you're basically just putting a movie as a special within a TV series right?

Just now, MBSki said:

Does that only work when linking a movie to a TV show and not a TV Show to a movie? So, you're basically just putting a movie as a special within a TV series right?

Right.

The benefit is just that the strm is a link to the file and not a duplicate of the actual file.

2 minutes ago, roaku said:

Right.

The benefit is just that the strm is a link to the file and not a duplicate of the actual file.

Yep, agreed. It's definitely a work around for some situations. 

Hi, there's already an open request for this or something functionally equivalent. Please join in and contribute to the existing discussion at:

• Thanks 1

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, MBSki said:

@Luke Can we revive this feature? Seems like it was available in Emby awhile ago, but was removed for some reason.

Not that I am aware of.

There are topics about creating strm files to the movie via Specials, similar mentioned mentioned above.

FrostByte
10 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Not that I am aware of.

There are topics about creating strm files to the movie via Specials, similar mentioned mentioned above.

It was there.  I used it a lot and found it useful. 

sydlexius

It's too bad that metadata providers like TMDB and TVDB don't support the ability to directly link shows + movies, or allow for mixed collections.  I've had to rely on the smart playlists 2.0 plugin to group related shows + movies.  It's not terrible, but the process should be better (especially on the metadata provider side).

• 3 weeks later...
snacks03

TInyMediaManager, a media scrubber and nfo modifier, has a feature to link movies to specific TV Shows. In the nfo, the string is shown as <showlink> </showlink>.  Would it be possible to use this string in movie libraries? I envision when a movie is selected with the tag enabled, the show link could appear above the More Like This area as "Related to Movie" and in tv shows it would show as "Related to TV-Series"

Edited by snacks03
  • Like 1

rbjtech

I just use strm files (with associated jpg and nfo files to match) to link films and tv series (both ways).   Films linking to TV Series is a bit of a fudge as you can only link to s01e01 - not the actual 'TV Show' but at least you then know it's there.

TV Show > Film link (in specials using a strm link, then just add details to the special metadata to display in the last Season (in this case) - as previously said above.

image.png.5464fb6413f336a6b50d9baa3e25dfe7.png

Film to TV Show link in Extras (again, via strm - linked to s01e01 - you cannot link to the TV 'show' unfortunately.)

image.png.446d560daccc23ebcd902b1f8a474d13.png

• Like 2

MBSki
On 10/19/2022 at 6:25 AM, rbjtech said:

I just use strm files (with associated jpg and nfo files to match) to link films and tv series (both ways).   Films linking to TV Series is a bit of a fudge as you can only link to s01e01 - not the actual 'TV Show' but at least you then know it's there.

TV Show > Film link (in specials using a strm link, then just add details to the special metadata to display in the last Season (in this case) - as previously said above.

image.png.5464fb6413f336a6b50d9baa3e25dfe7.png

Film to TV Show link in Extras (again, via strm - linked to s01e01 - you cannot link to the TV 'show' unfortunately.)

image.png.446d560daccc23ebcd902b1f8a474d13.png

Ah, good call! Is there a way to show there's a link on the poster in the library? One of the advantages of the collections is that you know there are multiple items because of the image. It would be nice to have a way to show there's a link for a movie or tv show on the poster too.

sydlexius

I'd prefer a metadata-related fix to this issue, personally.  In the meanwhile, I've been using the Smart Playlist 2.0 plugin to logically group related shows and movies.  I don't like things like .strm files or junctions/symbolic links because they're not as flexible (especially if I decide to change how I organize my files).