Add option to stream to Chromecast

tp546

Not sure how possible this is, but I would love to have the option in the Android client to stream to my Chromecast. They just added compatibility with Pandora recently and it is great.

• Like 1

Redshirt

That's something I'd rather see the server do so that as that's where the library would be streaming from.

I'm not sure that makes sense. If you are streaming a video to your tablet and want to stream to your Chromecast, how would that work?

Redshirt

why would you stream it to the tablet if you want to use a chromecast device. Why should you even need an android tablet to stream to chromcast :) Wouldn't it be better to pick up any tablet or the web-ui and just select the chromecast from the list of devices to play to.

Redshirt

I'm not sure. Someone else will have to answer. I don't own a chromecast, I just have a basic understanding of what they are doing.

darwindeeds

So I have done some research on the chromecast prospects and there is a big confusion on how it works. People assume that Chromecast is google's equivalent of AirPlay. Its not!

Airplay mirror's iphone/ipad screen to your tv with apple tv being the receiver. Chromecast doesn't do mirroring (except chrome's tab mirroring, not ideal for video playback)

What is Chromecast?

It is a tiny little device that runs a stripped down version of Chrome OS (or android, I forgot) and it has a HTML5 player in it that is capable of playing videos from the internet. 

Ie., it can play http://youtube.com/funnycatVideos

It opens up the video in the html5 player and streams it. The mobile client or chrome extensions essentially pass the url to the chromecast and other than that they don't play any part in streaming the videos. The mobile devices can send commands like play, pause and forward but still has not control on the streaming content.

Similarly,

Netflix could have an url like http:netflix.com/xxx/diehard that would play in chromecast. Same is the case with pandora.

Now the catch 22, Media browser server can serve up a URL http://mylocalcompter:8096/xxx/diehard to chromecast and it can play the video just fine BUT google does not want you to do that. Google wants an external URL. They have promised that they would open up local streaming when chromecast SDK is publicly released. 

Theoretically, a tracker website can be setup for example http://mediabrowsertracker.com that can route the stream from your local computer to internet and from internet back to your chromecast. This url needs to be approved by google for mass distribution and would involve server costs etc.

I'm not sure if it is a feasible option. Your best bet is to hope for google to be NICE.

Microsoft is in the most vulnerable position though right now. As time goes on I could see them opening up more and more as a means to encourage platform adoption. Not necessarily in regards to local streaming, just as a general thought.

All of these guys (Google, MS, Apple) are doing everything they can to keep people from playing local content.

• 2 weeks later...
Mark Anderson

I'd be really interested in this, so I can just add a $35 device to any TV. "All" it needs is chromecast support adding to the respective mobile apps

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, we saw it and are looking into it. Now that they have opened it up, we hope to add support for it in the future.

I think it would be better if the android client supports chromecast. Suppose I am at a friends house, and would want to stream something to their chromecast device. If chromecast is support by the MB3 server, it would not be able to see the existence of my friends chromecast device. However, if the android client initiates the cast request, it can just give my friends device the http stream address for my mb3 server.

Youtube certainly works this way (you won't expect the youtube servers to be the one maintaining all the chromecast devices in the world).

TheShanMan

I'll be looking into supporting chromecast on sndroid

Awesome. I got a chromecast when they first came out entirely in anticipation of MB support. I bought your android MB app, so I would certainly be happy to help test chromecast support if you need it.

gthrift

That's good news.

I sent a chromecast to Tikuf a couple of days ago to get a jump start.  Hopefully we'll have something ready when the expansion goes live.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...