Kodi Hanging on Exit (XBMB3C and Titan Beta)

rich110

Hi,

I'm and experienced Mediaportal user and am currently trying to setup Kodi with the Mediabrowser add-on serving movies and TV shows. I'm having a problem that whenever I try and exit (quit) Kodi, the program hangs and I need to force close. I suspect that the problem is the Mediabrowser add-on. I am using the Beta Mediabrowser add-on and the Beta Titan Helix plugin - both just updated.

I've done the following testing with logs attached:

1. Open and exit Kodi with Titan skin and Mediabrowser add-on enabled - KODI hangs for minutes and needs to be force closed.

2. Open and exit Kodi with Titan skin and Mediabrowser add-on disabled - KODI closes normally after 6-7 sec.

3. Open and exit Kodi with Confluence skin and Mediabrowser add-on enabled - KODI closes with a runtime error.

4. Open and exit Kodi with Confluence skin and Mediabrowser add-on disabled - KODI closes normally after 6-7 sec.

Mediabrowser Server is installed on a server and kodi is being run off another client computer. I am also running a Mediaportal TV sever off a the same server as MB. Both server and client are running Win7 64bit.

I hope someone can help with this because I love the ease of MB and this is the last thing I need to get Kodi up and running but is obviously a major stumbling block.

Thanks, Rich

1. kodi_Titan_XBMB3C_Enabled

2. kodi_Titan_XBMB3C_Disabled

3. kodi_Confluence_XBMB3C_Enabled

4. kodi_Confluence_XBMB3C_Disabled

Angelblue05

@@rich110

What version number is the Mediabrowser add-on?

I will try to help you. It seems your #3 log is mis-linked and refers to #2. Also, going on, please turn off Kodi's debug, you only need to set the debug inside the Mediabrowser add-on > Advanced tab > Log (1). It will only include the debug of Mediabrowser in your Kodi log and will make it easier for us the find the relevant information. :)

There a lot of things working in background when you enable Media Browser. There is constant communication between the server and Mediabrowser add-on. In your case, it's hard to see if there's any delay. How long did you let Kodi run once you set up your server info? Regarding your #1, it seems Titan/Mediabrowser was populating your library, when you tried to shut down Kodi.  This is perhaps the reason it was slow to shut down. More testing will be required, I think.

Edited by Angelblue05

Thanks for the prompt reply guys.

I've posted the new logs below (#'s 1-4). Under Mediabrowser > Advanced > Log, I only see the options for 'None', 'Debug' and 'Info' - not Log (1). I assume from null_pointers post that it needs to be 'Info'. I set it to this and repeated my steps above. Sorry for the mis-linked files, I had to resort to dropbox because of the size of 2 of the log files (~38mB).

Two things I forgot to mention in my original post, Kodi also freezes at the exact moment I disable the Mediabrowser addon (in both Titan and Confluence) - see logs 5 and 6. Also, as a bit of an aside, withe the MediaBrowser plugin disabled, Titan sking still takes about 8-10 sec to close, while Confluence takes about 1-2 sec. 

In relation to how long Kodi's been running, I guess it would be roughly a total of 10 hours over the last 2-3 days. Is this enough to populate the library? I just assumed that Kodi was using the MediaBrowser Server library for all it's info/images/etc, not pulling them all locally. 

My MediaBrowser add-on version is 0.9.775 and the Titan Helix Beta skin version (if useful) is 3.2.38.

Thanks in advance, 

Rich

1. kodi_Titan_XBMB3C_Enabled.log

2. kodi_Titan_XBMB3C_Disabled.log

3. kodi_Confluence_XBMB3C_Disabled.log

3. kodi_Confluence_XBMB3C_Enabled.log

5. kodi_Titan_XBMB3C_freeze while disabling.log

6. kodi_Confluence_XBMB3C_freeze while disabling.log

Edited by rich110

Angelblue05

Haha, yes 10 hours is more than enough to populate your library. When I asked about how long, it's to allow Titan to build the menu. As soon as you enable titan skin - it will build your home menus for you, automatically. It's a bit of a longer process, but at least you do not need to worry about setting up your Media folders. Titan does it for you. If you disable the MB add-on and only run Titan, it will throw errors and Kodi will take a bit to close. At this point, I don't think it's your issue.

Sorry, I forgot to include this little piece of information (log info 1). It's normal for it to freeze when you disable the MB add-on. There's many things running in the background, so when you disable it, there will be a lot of errors. Simply ignore and restart Kodi and you will notice MB will be disabled. Anyway besides the point, your issue is not related.

Out of curiosity, how big is your library?

Other than that, I don't see anything sticking out in your logs, how strange :( I'm using the same MB version and everything is fine here, but I do not use the Titan skin. When you tried to shut down Kodi, in your OP (#1) was your Titan menu fully built? Have you retried since?

Edited by Angelblue05

marcelveldt

@@Angelblue05 recent changes to the Titan skin made that building the menu now takes just about 2 seconds so that's no longer any issue.

@@rich110 it is perfectly normal that the Titan skin takes a few seconds longer to close then confluence. This is because some background services are loaded by the skin that need to be closed. Confluence is the absolute minimal skin for Kodi to keep it as light weight as possible. Also the shutdown time depends on all kinds of stuff like (music) media library still scanning, amount of memory to be cleaned up etc.

On a normal "non-mediabrowser" case the shutdown of kodi with Titan skin takes about 1 till 10 seconds top.

I have to agree with you that closing down Kodi with the MB3 addon enabled takes some more time, this is because there are a lot of background processes that need to be shutdown. In my own personal setup this takes about 20 till  40 seconds or so. My personal opinion is that this doesn't matter to me a lot because I can wait the few extra seconds to shut it down.

Please notice that every addon you install (that will run as a service) will add some additional shutdown time to the system. It has to do with the way how Kodi reports to the addons that it's closing down. You can notice that in your log files too, you'll see some messages appearing from addons that they have been shutdown.

In your particular case it takes longer to shutdown as usual and the question is why. Do you have a large media library ? How is the connection between your kodi client and the mediabrowser server ?

I just took a look in your logfile and notice that the last part of the logfile is missing. Did you force shutdown Kodi ? That way the log won't be written and we miss the essential part: why it's stuck...

In the location where you have the kodi.log, do you also see a crashdump file from Kodi ? Maybe you can share that one with us to see if it provides any insight.

Also, did you actually try to wait a long time to let Kodi quit on it's own, so not forcing it to shut down ? That way the log would still be written and allows for more info.

If I look at your log now the only thing I can see is that you initiated the shutdown and you see some addons reporting the've been shutdown.

• Like 1

xnappo

There have been a lot of problems with the server running out of memory.  Check how much it is taking. 

Angelblue05

Sorry marcelveldt, I read pretty much every thread in this forum to keep updated. I wasn't aware this feature had been greatly improved. Thanks for bringing me up to speed :)

Tbh, to shut down Kodi, is like trying to stop a train in it's track. The problem is I didn't see any delays in the timelog. Forced closing would probably explain it as you guys said.

Hopefully, a bit more info about your setup, how big your library is will give us some indication as to why you're experiencing this delay when shutting down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05

marcelveldt

Actually I think that @@xnappo and @ are on the right track about this... The out of memory exception is thrown by the MediaBrowser server. The addon is stuck in "waiting forever" untill the server responds to the requests.

xnappo

There is a post somewhere about allowing 32-bit apps to have access to more memory, but personally I think there is a memory leak in the server :D

Edited by xnappo

Angelblue05

However, the problem with the patch is that you have to reapply it everytime you update your server. It does work, tho.

Agreed xnappo, I also believe that there's either a memory leak or something needs to improved for people that have a really large library. My library is about 6TB, so I've never seen the error, but my brother has a really large library over 12TB and he gets the error often (don't know if it's still the case with the latest server builds).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05

Thanks for all the replies guys. Sorry for my belated response - been at work :)

I'll try to answer all your relavant questions in order:

I'm not really worred about a 7-10 sec close time in Titan, just thought I'd mention it in case it was relevant. I understand the reason. I really like your skin BTW.

I do have afairly large media library, 670 movies, 100 TV shows (4000 eps). I have a hardwired gigabit network connecting all the devices, so speed should not be a problem.

Your right about the forced close and I too noticed that this resulted in the end of the log file not being written. However, my problem is that Kodi simply doesn't close even when I've left it for 20-30 minuites. I haven't ever seen a crash dump file in the kodi directory where the log files are kept. I'll try and close Kodi tonight and leave it overnight - see what happens.

@ null_pointer

I don't know about the memory error. Are failing background threads common? I've attached my MB Server logs to see if that has anything informative.

While idle (i.e. no clients requesting anything from the server) it is sitting at 350Mb use, and about 335 MB when streaming. In total my server says only 33% used.

Thanks for the help guys.

Rich

MS SErver Log.txt

Edited by rich110

shaefurr

I should add I have this issue too, i'm just used to force closing Kodi. I got a few out of memory errors here and there from the server (I have 12GB, and it only happens in Kodi) but it hasn't happened recently so maybe its fixed for me. I have 1800 movies and 200 tv series.

I can post logs as well if needed.

pünktchen

I have had similar problems while shutting down Kodi. It was kept in memory forever. I had to kill the process!

But i've found the culprit: it was the new service "image proxy" of Mediabrowser addon. It was activated by default i think!

Deactivated it and some other services i've never used, now Kodi shutts down really fast.

arztonyou

I thought I'd add that I was also having problems shutting down Kodi.  I saw Punktchen's post and disabled the image proxy service and that seems to have solved the problem for me, too.

What is that service supposed to be doing?  Is it essential to the Fast Processing or any other new feature?

marcelveldt

I have had similar problems while shutting down Kodi. It was kept in memory forever. I had to kill the process!

But i've found the culprit: it was the new service "image proxy" of Mediabrowser addon. It was activated by default i think!

Deactivated it and some other services i've never used, now Kodi shutts down really fast.

Good catch!

@@xnappo did you see this ? Is this the new image proxy ?

Also a quick note I noticed in my own home httpc's is that something is off with the theme music/video...

If theme music is enabled and I start an episode while the theme is playing it would crash the addon or things get really crazy.

Decided to switch it off and found out that theme music only gets disabled when i disable theme videos, the setting for theme music doesn't seem to do anything.

I can look into it myself next week if you want.

im85288

Also a quick note I noticed in my own home httpc's is that something is off with the theme music/video...

If theme music is enabled and I start an episode while the theme is playing it would crash the addon or things get really crazy.

Decided to switch it off and found out that theme music only gets disabled when i disable theme videos, the setting for theme music doesn't seem to do anything.

I can look into it myself next week if you want.

Feel free to take a look if you like, this was reported a good while back when I first added theme video support but was fixed. I've seen a couple of other theme media reports recently but have not kept up to date with the last few beta releases. Are you aware if this is new for you or was it the first time you tried to disable it.

blublub

I have to give that a try too. Kodi needs really long to exit at my htpc too, kept bugging me but did not have the time dig yet

xnappo

They latest beta gets rid of the image proxy all together, so you might see if that helps.

My MB3 server was once again giving 'out of memory' errors - if people are seeing that you need to complain over in the server section :)