No metadata saving for h264 WTV to local folders

OldGrumpyGit
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

OldGrumpyGit

Hi all,

Looking for outside wisdom on this one - Have the latest and greatest MB3 server installed (3.0.5050.37565) on a clean install and small amount of h264 WTV files (8 total). However, I've noticed that the metadata is not being saved by MB Server for the movies to the folders at all (for any of them) - upon inspection I'm suspecting it has something to do with trying to get the run time of the movie itself, which seems to return as a massively huge number.

Case example is the movie Angels & Demons - I've used VideoRedo to create the .wtv file from a re-encode I made from the original. Link to the metadata from the library explorer is here  http://paste2.org/UKGVK1Lc , and the relevant part of the logfile is here which is detailing the error http://paste2.org/U4YsYvUF - to me, it appears the move length value is aborting the saving of the metadata file, would that be correct?

I should point out there's absolutely NO problems with playback, the file itself plays back perfectly, runtime length is correct, however it's a wee wrinkle that has me puzzled (and the lack of the metadata obviously stops the values pulling through to MBC displays). 

Anyone have any ideas?

• Solution

i'll fix the xml saving for the next release. the crazy runtime is an issue with ffmpeg and is still open.

• Like 1

OldGrumpyGit

Fantastic Luke,

Thanks for that - as I said, it's not causing issues aside from wondering why the runtimes aren't displaying and the metadata is missing locally - aside from that it's running beautifully!!

Much appreciated once again.

OldGrumpyGit

Hi all,

Just as a follow-up to this, but I've been doing a little tinkering with later builds of ffmpeg (zeranoe build of 04112013), and the run times are now being correctly estimated, and the .xml file is being written out. I'm not sure of any knock-on effects of doing this (trailers had very slight buffering issues), but so far everything is working fantastic for me. 

May be of use, may not, but felt it was worth mentioning!

@@Tikuf, can you verify?

Grumpy - our current build is still only a few weeks old. are there any mentions of this in ffmpeg change logs?

OldGrumpyGit

Hi Luke - I cannot see any mention of changes within the changelog unless I'm looking in the wrong place!

It was borne out of curiosity to be honest, I was sure my old MB3 server had been correctly getting the info from the wtv files into the metadata file. I can't recall the version, but it was way out of date (this is a completely new build). Figured it was worth tinkering about with - are there any expected side-effects of updating ffmpeg?

Sorry I can't be more help about the changelog!

FFmpeg changelogs are not very comprehensive. I will be testing the newest build of ffmpeg today (but feel free to lmk if you see any issues). About the crazy durations you are seeing can you show me an example with old pprobe vs new ffprobe. I just ran it on my pc using both on a few wtv files and see identical results (that said I wasn't seeing "crazy durations")  the command to run is

ffprobe  -i  file:"fullpathto.wtv" -print_format json -show_streams -show_format >"wtv-old.json"

if you could post the results to past2.org that would be great

TIA

OldGrumpyGit

Hi guys, sorry doing this from work just now, apologies for the delay. There's definitely something different going on here - Tikuf, per your request I've run ffprobe on an encode I ran overnight, using both versions - this is the 'MB3' version: http://paste2.org/w3bB983d, and this one here http://paste2.org/kw3jOYCD is using the ffprobe.exe from the Zeranoe download. Durations are definitely different, and I also note that the 'new' ffprobe is also pulling metadata about VideoRedo from the stream as well, not being picked up by the older one. 

I don't want to clog the thread up with unneccesary code, but if you want them I also have the console outputs from both which definitely show some differences, let me know if you want them posted as well.

Hope it helps!!

Na that is fine don't need the console output. Thanks for helping out. The update to ffmpeg/probe wont make it into this server build but it will be in the next

Cheers