MBS - Live TV Commercials file support

inzombyac

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Plex has had commercial skip for awhile, but it required removing the commercials. This isn't ideal, because often times comskip doesn't recognize the ads correctly. Today though, they announced the ability to skip commercials AND keep them. They're doing this by saving the skip points to an xml file. Can Emby access these skip points? I just recorded a few shows and I can see the XML in Plex, but I don't know how to access the XML otherwise. Can Emby get to this XML?

In XML the skip point will look like this:

<Marker type="intro" startTimeOffset="22407" endTimeOffset="43791"/>

PenkethBoy

For Info - this can be done via Emby using the DVR Post Processing option

I use a script (i wrote) to run comskip against a recording to find the commercials and then add in the chapter markers - they show up in emby fine and you can then skip commercials via the chapter list - been doing it for a year or two. I did consider cutting the commercial chapters out at the sametime - but comskip is not that accurate (varies by channel in the Uk at least)  - its good not perfect - and for me i am unlikely to keep these recordings very long but it could be done if you dont mind missing a few seconds either way etc. Also comskip can miss identify sometimes and you could lose chunks of a show/movie - so chapter markers work better for me.

Yes not everybody can write a script to do this but its - possible :)

683730832_Annotation2020-09-19092633.thumb.jpg.65e71322fb6ffa168bb35e8560ff0daf.jpg

With pre and post padding of 3 mins

initial chapter is the previous show, then com break, then into this episode with com break in the middle and final chapter when show ends etc etc

Ignore the square chapter images - just a function of dodgy channel  i chose to do a test record on and Emby....

• Like 2

@PenkethBoy Wow, thanks! Any chance you could share your script? I'd love to start using this. Chapter marks are much better than the xml, as it appears the xml is stuck in the Plex database. Unless one of the devs have a way of pulling it from the video file. 

True but it's $25 lifetime and works great when properly tweaked.

And yes not everybody can write a script to do this but its - possible :)

Edited by Sammy

• 2 years later...
mguebert

I have been using emby for media for some time, while using channels dvr for recorded tv.

I am now switching over to using emby exclusively for recorded tv.

I have comskip loaded and working using the comskip plugin. But according to the plugin author what I am going to suggest below would require native integration.

Have the EDL markers shown in the timeline

When a commercial marker is come across while playing back, popup a message requiring user intervention to skip the commercial. This is helpful when comskip mis marks the commercials.