MBS - Live TV Commercials file support

inzombyac

revengineer

You don't want to support your local business by watching the commercials?

NO, and we are hoping that you will help us with that.  :)

• Like 1

Anymore now of my commercials in my area are for local companies.

They all went out of business or can no longer afford the commercials because no one was watching them :D.

• Like 2

mediacowboy

They all went out of business or can no longer afford the commercials because no one was watching them :D.

Or it could be all the business in my area don't need commercial because they do go work and word gets out.
  • Like 2

revengineer

Or it could be all the business in my area don't need commercial because they do go work and word gets out.

Agreed, if you are that desperate for customers, something is wrong with your company. I hire by word of mouth. But we digress. Where is this feature on the priority list?

We're more focused on the basics before we look at something like this. We have to get live tv released for Apple TV, make sure that every app supports seeking live tv, playing in-progress recordings, etc.

• Like 1

revengineer

We're more focused on the basics before we look at something like this. We have to get live tv released for Apple TV, make sure that every app supports seeking live tv, playing in-progress recordings, etc.

Thanks for the update.

I am ok with with trying to work out a post processing script. I am still tooling around with comskip. I am trying to find a solution that is as OS neutral as possible as I am controlling considering moving my Emby server to a Linux .net core build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

revengineer

I am ok with with trying to work out a post processing script. I am still tooling around with comskip. I am trying to find a solution that is as OS neutral as possible as I am controlling considering moving my Emby server to a Linux .net core build.

Post processing with comskip is working here. However, my server is rather low power and I do not want to cut out the commercial but simply have the player process the .edl files that comskip generates. These are simple text files telling the player when to skip for how long. However, this requires player support. I am happy to back off for now as I have complained more than once than too many things are being done in parallel. 

• Like 1

Post processing with comskip is working here. However, my server is rather low power and I do not want to cut out the commercial but simply have the player process the .edl files that comskip generates. These are simple text files telling the player when to skip for how long. However, this requires player support. I am happy to back off for now as I have complained more than once than too many things are being done in parallel.

I would be ok with that too, but it doesn't sound feasible with the current priority list.

Is getting the app back on the amazon fire 7 still on the list?

Edited by Tur0k

edl is a very big project - well, i take that back, we could handle it relatively easily by always forcing transcoding and doing it as part of the transcoding process.

but obviously you guys won't like that which means it would have to be done individually in every player.

if we use comskip to identify commercials, then use the elf/xml file with mkvmerge to adjust consecutive chapter that could effectively skip the commercials. Could this be done supported in Emby?

Edited by Tur0k

mediacowboy

@@Luke, how are external subs handle? Reason I bring that up is if they don't require transcoding on the system couldn't something similar be done for edl. Read the file, treat the lines, maybe a more technical term, as chapters and then tell each client they are chapters and move on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Well before you can just "tell an app to skip over a chunk of a video", first there has to be all new development to listen and react to such instruction.

inzombyac

This might be a question for the Kodi addon folks, but would it be possible to pass the edl file to Kodi without requiring any development to the server piece?  The Kodi player has built in support for this so it might be a way to get around this for now.

• Like 1

Yea, I'm going back to my original idea. I am working on getting comskip to [emoji90] out an XML file instead of an EDL file. Their forum seems to suggest this is possible.

Then I have to work out how to build a two part MKVmerge script. The first part would to split the file using the XML file and somehow tag commercials. The second part would merge the pieces back together without the tagged commercials.

My other option is to use MCEBuddy. my problem with MCEBuddy was that it took a long time and increased my CPU utilization to 99% for a good portion of that. It seems to convert, scan, split, and merge the file. I read on their site that the paid version is faster, but I am wondering how much faster, and can I reduce overall hardware utilization and overall duration by figuring out a way to do it without having to convert the MKV file. The other part that I am looking to solve is a method that could be work on both Windows and Linux if I ever choose to go that direction.

Edited by Tur0k

inzombyac

This might be a question for the Kodi addon folks, but would it be possible to pass the edl file to Kodi without requiring any development to the server piece?  The Kodi player has built in support for this so it might be a way to get around this for now.

After playing around with NextPVR for a while I found that as long as you use the Emby addon in Native/Direct path mode, Kodi will see the EDL files and automatically skip with no extra configuration.  Kodi does not support an EDL file over an http stream.  As long as you have the following options in the comskip.ini you should be fine:

output_edl=1 
edl_skip_field=3

This works fairly well with live TV recordings from NextPVR because it supports comskip in a parallel processing mode.  This mode allows you to kick off a script as soon as the recording starts.  Going to put in a suggestion for Emby to support such a script so that we can have live TV processing. 

• Like 1

revengineer

After playing around with NextPVR for a while I found that as long as you use the Emby addon in Native/Direct path mode, Kodi will see the EDL files and automatically skip with no extra configuration.  Kodi does not support an EDL file over an http stream.  As long as you have the following options in the comskip.ini you should be fine:

output_edl=1 
edl_skip_field=3

This works fairly well with live TV recordings from NextPVR because it supports comskip in a parallel processing mode.  This mode allows you to kick off a script as soon as the recording starts.  Going to put in a suggestion for Emby to support such a script so that we can have live TV processing. 

This is fantastic. I had comskip processing enabled for future use but was unaware that kodi picks the edl files up. I did need to add the edl_skip_field option; without it skipping took long, was erratic, and abruptly ended playback before the end of the show.Thanks for sharing!

Edited by revengineer

• 7 months later...
Sammy

@@ebr @@Luke

This is a much needed feature but it seems to be going nowhere at present. Could it be the container used? It seems that other applications use .ts container.. or maybe I'm all wet.

Either way, this would be a great implementation. Currently I'm scheduling recordings with a competitor to perform this task but then watching them with Emby later.

Watching (fast forwarding over commercials mainly) while recording in Emby is still a little spotty BTW, as I think Emby has an issue with an undefined end time.

Sammy

Emby already records to .ts files. Is that what you're asking?

Ah.. Okay. Up until now I was mainly recording in WMC and using ServerWMC so they were in .wtv. Now I understand more. Hopefully a commercial skip mechanism can be incorporated into Emby sooner than later. 

Thanks!

• 3 months later...