MBT completely locks up randomly in UI - possible ATI issue?

brad_w

hey guys,

just wondering if anyone else has had any issues with MBT completely locking up the PC, forcing a hard reset? and if so - are you using an AMD GPU, radeon card?

i've been using MBT forever with my old graphics card which was a radeon HD 4850, but because the card was so old, catalyst control center was no longer available for that model in Windows 8.1, so the card used legacy drivers.  with these i never had an issue in MBT.  A mate of mine was trying to get the whole mediabrowser server and MBT setup a go because he really liked my setup, and his PC would lock up completely after a few minutes of using MBT with an R7 200 series. getting frustrated he eventually gave up on mediabrowser and went back to the old navigate with a mouse through folder structures on explorer.  i figured it was something to do with his hard drives or something because he wasn't attempting to watch a video or anything, just navigating the UI.

Then i recently upgraded to an R9 270x for my dedicated media pc; no format required, no changing my setup in MB server required; and literally 10 mins into having everything how i want it, i got the same complete lock up as my mate gets trying to navigate the MBT interface.

the whole pc becomes unresponsive except for select things, for example i have an ALT F4 function programmed to the soft keys on my logitech harmony one, and sometimes if i hit that during a lockup, the MBT screen will stay frozen, but i'll get the mouse pop up in front of it.  CTRL ALT DEL won't work to try and log off and log back in, plugging something into the USB i'll hear the connect/disconnect chime, but nothing will pop up.  my only option is to hold down the power button for a few seconds to kill it.  short press to trigger a proper shutdown won't work either.

any ideas/experiences? a conflict with radeon's drivers? if so i figured alot of you guys would've been experiencing it if you had radeons.

Cheers

Edited by brad_w

HI,

No problems for me.

Im on Win7 x64 with the latest "omega" Catalyst Driver recently released.

My GFX card is Radeon HD6770 1GB.

However, Its about time I moved up to a newer card so was looking at an R9 270 2GB. Ill keep my eye out for that issue and this post. Good luck and do post back if you find the answer.

Getumzz

I got the same problem as you.

No problem with an old ATI 4xxx card but after switching to a R7 270 its been locking up, crashing and just pissing me off.

Some times i cant even navigate in the menu with out MBT freezing and i have to restart the pc by holding down the power button.

Can we please look in to this and why its a diffrent from old cards.

Is it an issue with all R-models from ATI?

Edit 1#

No, a reinstall of MBT wont solve it.

And no a reformat wont solve it. :)

I have tried that about 100 times the last 6 months now.

Edited by MrDon

So is the whole computer locking up, or does it appear to just be the screen? It sounds to me like a driver bug (AMD graphics drivers have always been horrendously buggy), which makes things really quite difficult.

Does anyone have any of the MBT logs leading up to the crash? I don't expect the log to show any information about the crash itself, but if we are lucky it may indicate if there is any significant event immediately before the crash which could be triggering it.

Getumzz

So is the whole computer locking up, or does it appear to just be the screen? It sounds to me like a driver bug (AMD graphics drivers have always been horrendously buggy), which makes things really quite difficult.

Does anyone have any of the MBT logs leading up to the crash? I don't expect the log to show any information about the crash itself, but if we are lucky it may indicate if there is any significant event immediately before the crash which could be triggering it.

It seems lite like screen is locking up, like the UI.exe causing the problem with the ATI drivers. But when you try to restart the computer with CTRL-ALT-DELETE and click restart its just going black like its trying to force the UI to close.

I will post all the logges the i can pull but so far i havent seen any odd or strange things in the logs.

MAN I'm glad (and also not glad) that other people are experiencing it.. I was on the verge of formatting.. I thought it might've even been something wrong with the HDD when MB tries to access the metadata on them and locks it up, so I bought a few new SATA cables to replace the reeeeeeeally old dodgy ones in there.

but yeah I get the same thing. sometimes i'll get no response, other times CTRL ALT DEL will produce a black screen, and go no further.  the mouse continues to move around, but I get the spinning blue circle anywhere within the MBT UI.  The Start menu/taskbar is also unresponsive.. pretty much everything.

it's weird because I still get a response when I plug something into the USB slot, like a usb stick or keyboard, but you can't actually use them.. you hear the connect and disconnect chime, but any keypresses won't do a thing.  I even lose the ability to remote in using vnc.. it'll still be listed on the network, start the connection process, but as soon as it gets to 'authenticating' it'll sit there for infinite amount of time trying to authenticate, because part of the media pc is frozen.

I have a feeling the AMD drivers are killing it. I enabled logs last night on both theater and server but noticed nothing wrong, although I'm looking at these in rookie mode as I don't 100% know what I'm looking for lol; i'll enable the AMD logs tonight when I'm home and give it another go, post my findings and see if anyone can help out. I have a feeling we'll see more errors in that log than anything wrong in the server/theater log as I don't think it's anything wrong with Theater.  Hopefully see an answer.

Cheers

i'll be able to get an MBT log to you in about 6 hours when I'm home from work, unless someone else gets in there first! cheers.

i'll be able to get an MBT log to you in about 6 hours when I'm home from work, unless someone else gets in there first! cheers.

what's the best way to post this CCC log? lol its pretty large.

edit: i've also worked out that MBT isn't freezing at all. the entire image on screen will freeze, but i can still navigate through tv shows by memory.  it just froze on me in my tv shows main menu, so i was able to navigate to other tv shows by counting button presses, and when entering whichever tv show - i could hear the theme background playing.  it's completely operational!

it's definitely a dodgy AMD driver software.  which is probably why i never had the issue on the old card because it was too out of date for CCC on windows 8.1, and used the built in Windows drivers.

Edited by brad_w

@@brad_w

Are you any closer to solving your issue?? I already have the latest AMD "omega" named Driver for my HD6770 on windows 7 x64 and it will be the same version for the R9270 so the driver wont need to change. I don't have the same issue as yet so Im keen to follow how you get on and get the 270 pretty soon.

If my driver doesn't change I cant imagine why a different card will cause the issue. Although did you say your on WIndows 8.1? I notice on the AMD website it would still be the same driver revision if I was on 8.1.

Edited by byngo

Getumzz

Its really getting on my nerves right now.

The problem is cause by the AMD drivers.

I did a format and installed my old 4770 and it works perfect, not a single problem.

Did a new format and installed the R270 card and guess what....toke me about 30 sec to crash and burn ;)

Full screen and just browsing the menus caused the drivers to lock the UI.

Rebooted the pc and used MBT in a windows and nothing, 8 hrs with out a single hick up.

So the problem is cause by the drives and only in full screen. Damn AMD ;) 

I feel for u m8.

This is worrying for my pending R9 270x plans.

So can u full screen ok after pressing play on a video? I guess u provably can but freeze again on exit back to the UI.

What about trying the latest beta driver from AMD?

I hear there is a significant update dew with MBT sometime. Maybe by coincidence it could help. I don't know.

Edit.. Maybe even try an earlier/older compatible AMD driver??

Also found this that might be worth looking into...https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/Library/Windows/Hardware/ff570088(v=vs.85).aspx

Edited by byngo

Swynol

I had similar issues when installing my new r7 240 card into a small HTPC. I ended up formatting the PC and starting from scratch. luckily it only meant re installing OS and MediaBrowser as i have nothing else installed on it.

now its running win7 and i have no issues. i put it down to the ATI drivers. there are a few guides on how to 'properly' remove the ati drivers but its just as quick to re-format.

EDIT. sorry just read the more recent post saying you have formatted. cant really think what else you could try. Maybe try MBC and see if it causes the same issues.

Edited by Crazypete00

I had similar issues when installing my new r7 240 card into a small HTPC. I ended up formatting the PC and starting from scratch. luckily it only meant re installing OS and MediaBrowser as i have nothing else installed on it.

now its running win7 and i have no issues. i put it down to the ATI drivers. there are a few guides on how to 'properly' remove the ati drivers but its just as quick to re-format.

EDIT. sorry just read the more recent post saying you have formatted. cant really think what else you could try. Maybe try MBC and see if it causes the same issues.

What's your set-up Crazypete. I mean is it AMD or Intel based CPU? Just curious?

Getumzz

Im going to run a few test this weekend to see if i get the same issue with the beta drivers.

It cant hurt to try ;)

And with Win 7 and 8.1

At the moment im running win 7 with a amd cpu.

Sounds wrong but im glad im not alone with the problem ;)

I will keep you guys update with my testing.

At the moment i found a small work around.

Run MBT in window mode, pick movie/show, full screen and then play.

Sometimes it locks up when the move/show ends to go back to the main menu so you have to be quick to minimize the window.

Im going to run a few test this weekend to see if i get the same issue with the beta drivers.

It cant hurt to try ;)

And with Win 7 and 8.1

At the moment im running win 7 with a amd cpu.

Sounds wrong but im glad im not alone with the problem ;)

I will keep you guys update with my testing.

At the moment i found a small work around.

Run MBT in window mode, pick movie/show, full screen and then play.

Sometimes it locks up when the move/show ends to go back to the main menu so you have to be quick to minimize the window.

Good luck, Oh and just to advise I noted there were some .Net Framework update required (ver 4.5) before the Beta driver install.

hi all, sorry I disappeared for awhile..

@@byngo - sorry mate, my issue still stands.. i've been using MBC classic temporarily in 8.1 media center (with absolutely no issues whatsoever) until i can get it sorted, i miss my MBT. lol. no closer to working out what's doing it.. all I know is that it's definitely on the AMD side of it; whether it's CCC or the actual driver i'm not sure yet.  as we speak i'm still playing around, uninstalling everything now and reinstalling just the display driver from AMD; but no software. no CCC, no drag and drop transcoding software, anything.  Seeing how it goes with that.

@@MrDon - i gave the windowed MBT thing a shot before I posted this topic, and mine was crashing out.. so you're semi lucky with that one! mine won't even survive windowed mode :(

anyone give the beta driver a go and have any luck?? i noticed the beta driver was actually version 14.11.2 or something along those lines, and a month older than the ACTUAL OFFICIAL release of 14.12, released in december

Edited by brad_w

Mmmm. Is the beta driver higher than what is shown in windows control panel add/remove programs? . I know the CCC version can be similar but different to the actual driver.

All your troubles are pushing me towards a gtx 760 instead of an R9 270x

Mmmm. Is the beta driver higher than what is shown in windows control panel add/remove programs? . I know the CCC version can be similar but different to the actual driver.

All your troubles are pushing me towards a gtx 760 instead of an R9 270x

wouldn't be able to tell you right now.. in the middle of a format. lol. the website might have something listed about package contents? not sure.

alright so after a fresh format, windows updates, installed ONLY the amd graphics driver, no catalyst control centre or any other amd softwares;  30 seconds into setting up theatre.. external player etc, bam - frozen.  The driver isn't happy. CCC isn't affecting it. doing my sttttaaacccckkkkkkkk

edit: scrap that, the unresponsive UI was due to my harmony remote throwing up a low battery warning and i didn't realise, thinking the PC had frozen.. the remote had just stopped sending commands.. LOL. i'll keep testing.

Edited by brad_w

alright so I was able to use MBT after a format last night with just the AMD drivers installed and no CCC software, everything else set up - madvr etc; and it was going good for about 2 hours.  then outta nowhere when browsing tv series it died again.. man i was so happy in that second hour.. thinking YESSS its fixed! then crash.  now each crash is literally between minutes of browsing at a time.  how did it last 2 hours the first time around!? lol

@@MrDon, @@byngo, any ideas? anything i can try with .NET? although it's pretty far fetched..

Edited by brad_w

Getumzz

alright so I was able to use MBT after a format last night with just the AMD drivers installed and no CCC software, everything else set up - madvr etc; and it was going good for about 2 hours.  then outta nowhere when browsing tv series it died again.. man i was so happy in that second hour.. thinking YESSS its fixed! then crash.  now each crash is literally between minutes of browsing at a time.  how did it last 2 hours the first time around!? lol

@@MrDon, @@byngo, any ideas? anything i can try with .NET? although it's pretty far fetched..

No luck so for for me.

Im getting the same strange crashing in the menus, after a movie/show stops and when i leave it on pause or just grabbing a drink.

Its working great for 1-2 hrs, sometimes more but just out of the blue its crashing.

Im out of ideas and its pissing me off ;)

I love my R9 but i really thinking about getting an nvidia.

No luck so for for me.

Im getting the same strange crashing in the menus, after a movie/show stops and when i leave it on pause or just grabbing a drink.

Its working great for 1-2 hrs, sometimes more but just out of the blue its crashing.

Im out of ideas and its pissing me off ;)

I love my R9 but i really thinking about getting an nvidia.

I tried removing .NET 4.5.2 update altogether, doesn't look like it changed anything. I restarted the PC, it auto booted into MBT, didn't touch it at all from when it booted up; a few minutes later without even browsing anything, locked up. don't even need to browse media to get it to freeze :(

there's gotta be someone else that understands more about what's happening than me.. i'm kinda just guessing as I go! but i don't know enough about what goes on behind the scenes with the AMD drivers or MBT's processes to understand why.

when i'm in a movie it runs perfect, never freezes; anything else perfect.  MBC perfect.  it's only MBT.  i've got madVR on NNED13, everything as high as I can get it, and movies run beautifully, never freeze.  even when paused like you mentioned.

i'm lost now

Edited by brad_w

What a pisser guys !! Sorry I'm no expert to understand this issue either. It is such a shame as u said cause MBT is the dogs. Imagine if you just stumbled across media browser and tried out mbt for the first time. You'd think it was a right crock of shih. ..t and never come back.

I'm afraid I've just changed to nvidia becsuse of this and the only issue I had was getting multichannel bitstream audio to work over hdmi. Fixed that and it's all good with mbt. Madvr on NNED13 too but might ease back a bit cause the card gets just a bit noisy for my liking with that setting.