Samsung - Partially Watched Content Marked as Watched

ginjaninja

ginjaninja

Surely if you turn the TV off without stopping playback and/or exiting the app, spurious events may well occur.

doesnt the client continuously request media segments from server..isnt this how the server knows the position...

its not the clients responsibility to prevent false positives on position/watch..either the last served playback was in last x% or not...position/watched status is a natural consequence of server servicing playback..not active client communication in this instance..?

so client off...=...no more media segments requested..= servers awareness of position no longer changed...

thats how i would imagine it...

I guess clients could enhance the servers awareness actively under special circumstances..but not  necessary in the underlying base case...im guessing?

Edited by ginjaninja

chessdragon136

doesnt the client continuously request media segments from server..isnt this how the server knows the position...

its not the clients responsibility to prevent false positives on position/watch..either the last served playback was in last x% or not...position/watched status is a natural consequence of server servicing playback..not active client communication in this instance..?

so client off...=...no more media segments requested..= servers awareness of position no longer changed...

thats how i would imagine it...

I guess clients could enhance the servers awareness actively under special circumstances..but not  necessary in the underlying base case...im guessing?

It doesn't really work like that - The clients (mine included) report playback actions (Started, Paused, Stopped) and playback position (The samsung app reports its progress every 3 or so seconds) This is due to many reasons, like if the file is played directly the server wouldn't be serving up the file so it wouldn't know its being played..

Ideally, I would like someone to go through the server logs to see if these playback reports are working correctly - Pretty sure they are as in the server main page when i start it shows the entity, every few seconds it updates & on stop it disappears. But verification would be nice. 

Edited by chessdragon136

• 3 weeks later...
ginjaninja

It doesn't really work like that - The clients (mine included) report playback actions (Started, Paused, Stopped) and playback position (The samsung app reports its progress every 3 or so seconds) This is due to many reasons, like if the file is played directly the server wouldn't be serving up the file so it wouldn't know its being played..

Ideally, I would like someone to go through the server logs to see if these playback reports are working correctly - Pretty sure they are as in the server main page when i start it shows the entity, every few seconds it updates & on stop it disappears. But verification would be nice.

V0.560b

switching off the content in middle..no longer makes show watched..which is good.

• Like 1

V0.560b

switching off the content in middle..no longer makes show watched..which is good.

I believe this was fixed in the last server release (not a Samsung app issue)