Samsung - Partially Watched Content Marked as Watched

ginjaninja

ginjaninja

v.523 (I think, downloaded yesterday)

The Samsung client is marking partially watched tv content as watched.

All the other clients do not seem to set the watched flag until the content is fully watched.

Consequently, partially watched tv content on Samsung, does not show on tv next up (on any other clients).

chessdragon136

Ok I'll look into this - I doubt I'll have much time this week until the weekend and things like this take time to diagnose. Bear with me. 

ginjaninja

I am confident it is happening. It happened this evening.

Played 1st show half way.

Wife comes in so started 2nd show..

During 2nd show tried pausing..quitting..generally playing about.

No problem..watched status behaved itself..

Went back to show 1..turns out it was marked watched.prematurely..

Could the watched status change at end of show 2..have also affected show 1...just a guess.

Fwiw the green button..doesnt seem to affect watched status..but this a separate issue.

Tried to half watch a 3rd show then watch a 4th show..to reproduce issue with 3rd show..no joy.

Edited by ginjaninja

ginjaninja

Is it shown as watched in other apps?

Yes

Should have confirmed

V.0.523

Ue46es7000

Edited by ginjaninja

chessdragon136

Well I don't mark content as watched or not using the app (unless you manually mark an item as watched which is done using the green button)

I think this is a server issue but I will test at the weekend

CBers

For the record, I have not had an issue with the app marking content as watched.

Using the green button to toggle status works as well.

ginjaninja

Hopefully that log shows a dev exactly what caused 1st show to be marked watched and when?

In terms of green button ..it was user expectation..

Objects on home screen..next up...works

Inside object from home screen..doesnt work.

Highlight episode object in season in show in tv..works

Entering that episode object...doesnt work..

By doesnt work what i should say is there is no visible green tick going on and off, like in the interfaces where it does work.

Edited by ginjaninja

ginjaninja

In terms of green button ..it was user expectation..

Objects on home screen..next up...works

Inside object from home screen..doesnt work.

Highlight episode object in season in show in tv..works

Entering that episode object...doesnt work..

By doesnt work what i should say is there is no visible green tick going on and off, like in the interfaces where it does work.

0.528 has addressed this for me...green button at the episode level functions as expected.

I do occasionally see content that is stopped part way through playback but is not marked with a resume point.  (BTW, this is mid way through movie playback, so it is not related to the resume percentage settings).

Possibly on stopping it is treated as watched, resulting in this issue.  In my case it was watched many times before so was already flagged as watched.

I've tried to reproduce this issue by starting playback at a chapter mark, waiting for about 15 seconds then pressing stop.  Occasionally content is not marked with a resume point.  There does not seem to be a pattern to it.

This might be worth trying to replicate as it may be related to @@ginjaninja's issue??

chessdragon136

I'm still not certain it is an app issue here - All my app does is report video progress during playback (every 3 or so seconds and when the user stops the video) I don't set watched markers - the server handles that. 

The only time i set watches is the manual change using the green button. 

I'm sure my progress checking are working, or at least i can see them working. 

ginjaninja

I'm still not certain it is an app issue here - All my app does is report video progress during playback (every 3 or so seconds and when the user stops the video) I don't set watched markers - the server handles that.

The only time i set watches is the manual change using the green button.

I'm sure my progress checking are working, or at least i can see them working.

Until we can define steps to reproduce..i suggest dont worry about it..otherwise youd be chasing your tail. Thanks for investigating your end.

I agree with that.  I'm not convinced its an app issue either.  If I can pin it down I'll let you know, but don't waste time on it for now.

chessdragon136

To be honest, I didn't plan to - I've spent too much time chasing "ghost" problems but if you can reproduce and detail the process I'll happily check. Just working on adding more features atm. 

CBers

Just paused, then stopped a TV episode, but when I returned to the home screen, there was no Resumable item until I pressed Tools->Home and it appeared.

Not what the OP is seeing, but just wondering if the Home screen needs a refresh on opening.

CBers

I have a 28 minute played half-way through, but it is marked as watched,even though it's sitting in the Resume list (had to goto Tooks->Home for it to show up).

My Max resume percentage is set to 95%.

Edited by CBers

I have a 28 minute played half-way through, but it is marked as watched,even though it's sitting in the Resume list (had to goto Tooks->Home for it to show up).

My Max resume percentage is set to 95%.

I don't seem to see this issue.  I have a 20 minute episode, 50% through.  I started it from the next up on the home screen by pressing play on the remote.  When I stop, it immediately returns to the home screen and shows up under resume.  No watched indicator.

@@CBers, is this a series episode?  Where do you start playback from?  Any hints on how to reproduce this?

CBers

That particular episode was from within the series as I was worry way through them.

99% of my playbacks are via the Next Up list.

ginjaninja

i was able to reproduce the issue as suggested by SamES

watch episode to 50%....turn off tv...check later...now marked watched..

thanks SamES this is quite possibly the original course of events... 

Edited by ginjaninja

CBers

Surely if you turn the TV off without stopping playback and/or exiting the app, spurious events may well occur.