Additional Music Genre Images

Pais

we need to clean up these new music images. @@Smaky can you help?

if the genre is called Rap, the image should only say Rap, not Rap & Hip Hop. As a result, three genres now have the same image, it's only going to cause confusion into people thinking they have duplicates.

if you could just remove those for now until we have corrected ones, that would be great. thanks.

ginjaninja

A few more suggestions for genres from my Library.

Ive provided some artist suggestions but perhaps an image better represents a genre, given that its often more recognisable, and one artist often covers multiple genres.

Even better, if the generic PSD were released with a generic image, I would happy to create to loads of genres, until there is time to improve..There are so many genres, some indistinguishable from another, that a generic place holder with the correct text would be a good place to start, to ensure users had complete uniform images for the ui, whilst they tidies up and consolidated.

The 50s,The 60s,The 70s,The 80s,The 90s, (Decade compilation Albums, artwork is not so much artist based as a numberical value with generic music image eg. "The 1950s" or "1950s" or "50s"

Acoustic - Image of Acoutic Guitar

Ambient - ?Generic Music Backdrop with Text

Audiobook - [book/Speach image]

Bluegrass - [bluegrass] ?Generic Music Backdrop with Text

Blues - Muddy Waters, Freddie King, Five Blind Boys of Alabama, Seasick Steve, Gary Moore, Caroline Chocolate Drops

Britpop - Oasis, Blur, Suede, The Verve

A Cappella - ?Generic Music Backdrop with Text

Celtic - Mary Black, Clannad, Celtic Cross/Imagary

Chillout - ?Generic Music Backdrop with Text

Chosen by Artist - ?Generic Music Backdrop with Text

Classical - Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Mozart, Strauss, Tchaikovsky, Wagner

Compilation - ?Generic Music Backdrop with Text

Country - Johnny Cash, Shania Twain, Willie Nelson, Alison Krauss, Dolly Parton, Dixie Chicks

Dance-  Prodigy, Faithless, 

Drum and Bass - Pendulum, 

Folk - Eddie Reader, Tracy Chapman, Joni Mitchell, Kirsty Macoll.

Funk - Sly & the Family Stone, Prince, 

Instrumental - Vangelis

Jazz - [saxophone] Jamie Cullum, Nina Simone, Miles Davis, Astruud Gilberto, Louis Armstong

Meditation - [bhudha Statue/Water]

Musical - [broadway,West End Muiscals - Cats, Les Mis] Andrew LLoyd Webber, Tim Rice

New Age - Zero 7, Gorillaz, Junip

Opera - Three Tenors

Pan Pipes - [Pan Pipes]

Piano - [Piano Keyboard]

Psychedelic Rock - Pink Floyd
Rap - Eminem, Public Enemy, 
Reggae - Bob Marley, UB40
Swing - Frank Sinatra
Synthpop - Depeche Mode, Yazoo, Erasure, Pet Shop Boys
Techno - Oribtal, Chemical Brothers
Trance - The KLF
Trip-Hop - Everything but the girl, Massive Attack, Portishead
Various - for use in compilations when nothing else applies and multiple generes exist and individual classification is not maintained, i got an image mentioning multiple genres.
Worship - Copy of Religeous
Christmas - Same as Holiday?
Disney - [Disney Castle?/Disney Charachter]
Remix - ? for remixed albums of an orignal
Rock & Roll - The Everly Brothers, Elvis Presley, The Dave Clark Five, 
Edited by ginjaninja

A few more suggestions for genres from my Library.

Ive provided some artist suggestions but perhaps an image better represents a genre, given that its often more recognisable, and one artist often covers multiple genres.

Even better, if the generic PSD were released with a generic image, I would happy to create to loads of genres, until there is time to improve..

In case you didn't know you can grab the PSDs from GitHub.

I started trying to use meaningful images, but I wasn't able to crack that nut. I was able to fairly easily pull out artists that I could recognize. For example, what the heck do I do to differentiate between the following with generic images:

• Alternative metal, death metal, heavy metal, industrial metal, metalcore, progressive metal, thrash metal
  • Alternative rock, grunge, hard rock, pop-rock, post-grunge, progressive rock, punk rock

I'd prefer generic images if someone was able to figure out how to do it.  :)

Edited by Pais
  • Like 1

Ah, I see. I misinterpreted you earlier email. I was thinking a different generic image for each genre, but instead you were suggesting a single generic image for many genres. Interesting idea, especially for some of the tricky ones. I won't have time to work on it until this weekend, but I'll give it a try on some of the tricky ones and see how it turns out.

if the genre is called Rap, the image should only say Rap, not Rap & Hip Hop. As a result, three genres now have the same image, it's only going to cause confusion into people thinking they have duplicates.

if you could just remove those for now until we have corrected ones, that would be great. thanks.

I'm happy to help with this also if you'd like. Is there some sort of reference guide out there on how to interact appropriately with GitHub? It might save @@Smaky from having to be the middle-man.

A Cappella - ?Generic Music Backdrop with Text

Acoustic - Image of Acoutic Guitar
Bluegrass - [bluegrass] ?Generic Music Backdrop with Text
Celtic - Mary Black, Clannad, Celtic Cross/Imagary
Classical - Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Mozart, Strauss, Tchaikovsky, Wagner
Country - Johnny Cash, Shania Twain, Willie Nelson, Alison Krauss, Dolly Parton, Dixie Chicks
Folk - Eddie Reader, Tracy Chapman, Joni Mitchell, Kirsty Macoll.
Instrumental - Vangelis
Jazz - [saxophone] Jamie Cullum, Nina Simone, Miles Davis, Astruud Gilberto, Louis Armstong
Meditation - [bhudha Statue/Water]
New Age - Zero 7, Gorillaz, Junip
Psychedelic Rock - Pink Floyd
Reggae - Bob Marley, UB40
Swing - Frank Sinatra
Synthpop - Depeche Mode, Yazoo, Erasure, Pet Shop Boys
Trip-Hop - Everything but the girl, Massive Attack, Portishead

Just so you know the ones that are still quoted above already exist in the repository. I'll try and create some for the one's that aren't already there this weekend. If there are some listed above where you aren't happy with the existing image let me know and I can create another option.

ginjaninja

Just so you know the ones that are still quoted above already exist in the repository. I'll try and create some for the one's that aren't already there this weekend. If there are some listed above where you aren't happy with the existing image let me know and I can create another option.

Thanks for feedback and efforts, ..i presume in respository is different to in download from link in 1st post..

heres that image mentioning multiple genres, incase its of interest.

Folder.jpg

Another thing we can start doing, provided someone here can take the time....if we can remove the genre name from the images then the clients can use their own localized text

Another thing we can start doing, provided someone here can take the time....if we can remove the genre name from the images then the clients can use their own localized text

So you're looking for images like this:

54c27cef97ce3_thumb.jpg

Instead of images like this:

54c27cfdabe60_thumb1.jpg

If so, I can redo all mine over the weekend (including the new batch that's in work).

without the lines too, so just the image. we could even omit the transparency filter on top. it's something that should be done but it's also a tricky one. it will affect clients who won't have anyway to know the contents of the image. so from my end it will have to be done with care.

Just to be sure that we're on the same page before I go do. You want no lines, text or transparency for all images, correct?

No transparency:

54c27e9d2807e_worshipthumb.jpg

Transparency, no lines:

54c27f1243a9c_thumb2.jpg

yea because clients can do all that, and the server can do it when the client can't like roku for instance.

• Like 1

yea because clients can do all that, and the server can do it when the client can't like roku for instance.

I'll let you know when things are set on my end. Let me know if you need anything from me in the interim.

AlwinHummels

Can the server place the text in the middle and place the stripes also as a overlay? so we get the pictures as the where before?

This should be very nice.

Edited by AlwinHummels

ginjaninja

If Media Browser is able to create Images eg. by overlaying text, this would be great to ensure that all views had a meaningful (correct text) image and consistent UI (image resolution) experience.

For Music genres this is particularly useful as there is so much disparity over spelling such as Rhythm & Blues,, R&B,RnB,R & B, etc..

• Like 1

Will work on this... 

@@Luke things are all set on my end for the music genre images without any PSD additions. Just let me know when you want me to supply them to GitHub. Many thanks to @[member="AlwinHummels"] for supplying many of the untouched images used to create the original music genre images. There were a few images that I wasn't able to find. In that case I found replacement image.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
thefirstofthe300

Can I get one for Parody? As in Weird Al Yankovic?

Also, one for Christmas would be nice.

Edited by DaBungalow