Turn Off/Ammend Inter Region Parental Rating Classification Equivalency

ginjaninja

ginjaninja

The setting to block content with no parental rating is sometimes insufficient to e.g. protect children from undesirable content..

Consider the Film "The Human Race"  tmdbid-185267..

has no UK rating..so MB3 helpfully downloads the French Rating - FR-U

{The German Classification is 18 incidentally}

whilst potentially normally helpfull to have classification equivalency across regions, this film would not have got a GB-U rating in UK..

Given the german classification , i suspect TMDB french classification may just be incorrect..

Is it possible to either turn off equivalency, so no rating for your country = no rating...(safest implementation for parental guidance scenarios) - The Strictest Option

or

Ensure that all non local ratings are mapped to the highest local rating {a sort of hack of the equivalency tables as a short term safety measure}

or

even better {To maximise protection and automation when perhaps different regions have different tolerances} - The slightly more relaxed Option.

Select the highest rating from all the foreign regions (once equivalency is considered to the local country's rating system)

alternatively a filter of no {local} parental rating in the movies reports would provide a halfway house..and be useful in any case to identify content that may need closer inspection..

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
adamnmcc

i agree, my 6yr old daughter has quite often asked me why some Movies that were quite obviously unsuitable where showing up on her tablet. i have set her limit to GB-U but anything that doesn't match to the GB ratings are coming through. I.e. A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence had a rating of SE-15 and it showed up in her mist of Kids Movies. 

is there something that we can do to combat this? 

Happy2Play

Easiest way is to change your metadata provider order and make OMDB first instead of TMDB.  I just had Pete at MCM make the change to not pull any rating from TMDB if it wasn't a rating from my country because it would default to what ever country TMDB had populated.  So that might be a feature request to be added here.

Example from TMDB Stop Loss pull "15" when there is no US rating/certification.  I have since updated

560e468493e31_stoploss.jpg

But OMDB showed "R"

I can provide other examples if needed.

But remember these sites are community driven so you can log in and make updates also to help everyone out.

Edited by Happy2Play

i agree, my 6yr old daughter has quite often asked me why some Movies that were quite obviously unsuitable where showing up on her tablet. i have set her limit to GB-U but anything that doesn't match to the GB ratings are coming through. I.e. A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence had a rating of SE-15 and it showed up in her mist of Kids Movies. 

is there something that we can do to combat this? 

That shouldn't really be true - especially with the latest server version.  If you have "Block items with no rating information" checked, then any unrecognized rating should be blocked.

If, however, the item has a valid rating from another region that actually does fit within your set limits then the best recourse there is to use the Custom Rating field to set it to what you think it should be.