DLNA profile for LG WebOS TV

Serios

psxlover

what's the media info? and what does your lg profile look like? is it the default?

Video
CodecH264
ProfileHigh
Level40
Resolution1920x816
Aspect ratio2.35:1
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.97602
Bitrate1808 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames4
CABACYes

Audio
Languageeng
CodecAAC
ProfileLC
Layoutstereo
Channels2 ch
Bitrate93 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultYes

Subtitle
Languageell
CodecSRT
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalYes

Subtitle
CodecSRT
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalYes
Containermp4

PathC:\Users\Alex\Downloads\Videos\TestingFolder\The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists! (2012)\The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists! (2012).mp4

I believe during testing I was using the profile from this post with changed User Agent to work with my TV. If I was using the default profile subtitles would work simply because anything with subtitles gets transcoded (there are no SubtitleProfiles in the default LG profile, forcing all my media to transcode).

Also please try the dev server build as I've just made one adjustment might have an impact. thanks

Yes it does, now subtitles show up, although I got the wrong ones. In my user profile I have "Greek Modern (1453-)" and instead of showing the "ell" subtitles it selected the "unknown" subtitles (which were english).

Isn't that option supposed to affect DLNA subtitles?

psxlover

Are talking about DLNA -> Server -> Default User? Yes it's assigned to me.

If I start a movie from the web interface selected subtitle is greek, but from DLNA on the videos I tested it either selected .eng.srt or .srt instead of .ell.srt (in case there were multiple subtitles).

that might be the tv because we include all available subs in the response xml.

rafivanatv

Also please try the dev server build as I've just made one adjustment might have an impact. thanks.

Thanks @@Luke. Tried out the dev version and for now it seems to work fine (only tried couple of videos).

Sorry if I bothered you with my guesses about the server code StreamBuilder.

No bother at all. It looks like your guesses were right on the money :)

As far as sending back multiple subtitles, if you guys can find a way to mark one as selected in the response xml, maybe that will allow us to tell the TV which one to activate.

psxlover

that might be the tv because we include all available subs in the response xml.

As far as I know it only supports having one subtitle through DLNA, so perhaps it just asks for the first (or last) it receives. I'll check it when I can and open a new topic.

Tnx for the fix :)

Well I think the reason we started including them all was to allow toggling via the tv remote as opposed to having stop the entire video and restart.

psxlover

Well I think the reason we started including them all was to allow toggling via the tv remote as opposed to having stop the entire video and restart.

It sounds resonable, as long as TVs support it but does any TV support it? I recommend you leave it as it is and either sort them according to user's preferences (but that may also not work depending on how the device selects the subtitle) or add an option to the DLNA profile to only send the most relevant subtitle when the option is present.

psxlover

Since we are talking about subtitles, and I see you've recently worked on user options, could I ask you to add a "Secondary Subtitles" option in the user options?

I want greek subtitles for the media I watch but sometimes greek subtitles are not available, for example on Anime shows, so I'd like to fallback to english subtitles instead of a random language.

Edited by psxlover

rafivanatv

Hey @@psxlover I just tried multiple subtitles.

I set the default language to Greek in the user profile -> playback -> subtitle language, added bogus .gre.srt subtitle to the folder, and the LG Smart Share DLNA client loaded the bogus subtitle.

Other setting in the user profile is: Subtitle mode : Always play subtitles.

However everytime I change the default subtitle language I had to restart Emby server so the new user profile settings are read.

Also (I don't know if this matters) I have explicitly set the User library in the DLNA Profile to the user profile name.

Smart Share DLNA client does not seem to support selection on multiple subtitles. Shame :(

@@Luke On other note connected to DLNA: It seems that the dev version has some trouble with episode art (thumbnail pics), now it shows the defult Series tumbnail art for every episode for the Latest (folder/filter).
 Previuosly when I opened the TV->Latest selection trough the DLNA client, it showed the thumbnail of the Episode, now it's the thumbnail for the Series/Show.

As far I can see this is only a problem for the Latest folder, if I open the folder for the corresponding Series->[name of the show]->Season [num] the thumbnails are good.

That's by design. Otherwise you can't really tell what series the episode is coming from. I think it makes sense.

rafivanatv

That's by design. Otherwise you can't really tell what series the episode is coming from. I think it makes sense.

It's not a bug; it's a feature ;)

It does make sense now. However, it would be even better if the Season and the Episode number are also included next to the title (similary to the web interface).

[Name of the series] S[season number], E[episode number] - [Title of the episode]

Don't know if this is within Emby's standards, and I don't know if this is posible. In my personal view this way people can distinguish the series even if the thumbnails are from the episode.

I'm sorry to continue with this conversation in this thread... I know this topic is not related to the LG WebOS DLNA profile.

psxlover

I set the default language to Greek in the user profile -> playback -> subtitle language, added bogus .gre.srt subtitle to the folder, and the LG Smart Share DLNA client loaded the bogus subtitle.

However everytime I change the default subtitle language I had to restart Emby server so the new user profile settings are read.

Also (I don't know if this matters) I have explicitly set the User library in the DLNA Profile to the user profile name.

Smart Share DLNA client does not seem to support selection on multiple subtitles. Shame :(

@@Luke On other note connected to DLNA: It seems that the dev version has some trouble with episode art (thumbnail pics), now it shows the defult Series tumbnail art for every episode for the Latest (folder/filter).

Previuosly when I opened the TV->Latest selection trough the DLNA client, it showed the thumbnail of the Episode, now it's the thumbnail for the Series/Show.

As far I can see this is only a problem for the Latest folder, if I open the folder for the corresponding Series->[name of the show]->Season [num] the thumbnails are good.

I have the same settings. That doesn't mean that it worked correctly, it probably means that SmartShare loads the last subtitle it receives (provided that Emby sends the subtitles alphabetically sorted in ascending order), ell.srt < en.srt < gre.srt < .srt.

Edited by psxlover

rafivanatv

I have the same settings. That doesn't mean that it worked correctly, it probably means that SmartShare loads the last subtitle it receives (provided that Emby sends the subtitles alphabetically sorted in ascending order), ell.srt < en.srt < gre.srt < .srt.

Hmm I guess my steps were not clear enough.

1. Put a bogus .gre.srt subtitle in the same folder where .eng.srt is also present.

2. Set default subtitle language to Greek in user profile.

3. Reset the server.

4. Played the video .. it loaded the bogus subtitle.

To test if it's loaded because of the default subtitle language.

1. Change the default subtitle language to English in the user profile.

2. Reset the server.

3. Play the video ... it loaded the eng.srt subtitle.

So for me it loaded the corresponding language subtitle depending on the settings in the user profile. The trick I think is to reset the server after changing the settings in the user profile. Also it might be very important to set the User Library in the DLNA profile to point to the user profile.

It might be the case of difference of the software SmartShare. Mine is WebOS TV, and yours, as far as I managed to see, is not.

psxlover

I can confirm that my TV (LG 32LB5800 NetCast 2014) requests the last subtitle that is offered (it would kind of make sense considering they didn't have multiple subtitles in their mind, they just have a variable which is written when they parse a subtitle stream url, thus overwriting previous urls and keeping the last one.

Looking at the messages sent from the server to the TV, it seems like Emby puts first the subtitles that correspond to the user's selected language, which also makes sense. Now if I have only two subtitles (.ell and .en) since Emby sends first the url for the selected language, if my language is set to greek my TV shows the english subtitles, and if my language is set to english my TV shows the greek subtitle. If I put another subtitle (e.g. a .z.srt or .srt) the last one alphabetically is loaded since after the subtitles matching the user's preferences, the rest of the subtitles are offered in alphabetical order (so first selected language .gre.srt and .ell.srt and then the reset .en.srt, .srt, .z.srt).

In case of rafivanatv's TV it probably requests the first subtitle url found, thus playing the correct subtitle based on the user's preferences.

Edited by psxlover

rafivanatv

I can confirm that my TV (LG 32LB5800 NetCast 2014) requests the last subtitle that is offered (it would kind of make sense considering they didn't have multiple subtitles in their mind, they just have a variable which is written when they parse a subtitle stream url, thus overwriting previous urls and keeping the last one.

Looking at the messages sent from the server to the TV, it seems like Emby puts first the subtitles that correspond to the user's selected language, which also makes sense. Now if I have only two subtitles (.ell and .en) since Emby sends first the url for the selected language, if my language is set to greek my TV shows the english subtitles, and if my language is set to english my TV shows the greek subtitle. If I put another subtitle (e.g. a .z.srt or .srt) the last one alphabetically is loaded since after the subtitles matching the user's preferences, the rest of the subtitles are offered in alphabetical order (so first selected language .gre.srt and .ell.srt and then the reset .en.srt, .srt, .z.srt).

In case of rafivanatv's TV it probably requests the first subtitle url found, thus playing the correct subtitle based on the user's preferences.

Wow man... that's messed up :D

I guess we should start bothering LG to implement the whole UPnP DLNA protocol with external subtitle selection.

However, from what I have read LG tv's have closest full implementation of UPnP DLNA standard messaging compared to other tv's.

Hi @@Luke,

I have same opinion as @@rafivanatv.

I prefer to show episode preview, not fan art. Could you please add option to emby and let user to choose ? Please.

and +vote  for post #88

psxlover

Hi @@Luke,

I have same opinion as @@rafivanatv.

I prefer to show episode preview, not fan art. Could you please add option to emby and let user to choose ? Please.

and +vote  for post #88

I think that you should post this in http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/23700-dlna-display-of-latest/ since that's the thread that changed it from episode to series image. Personally I thing that a season image is better suited for the latest episodes than an episode thumbnail but if there are multiple people who prefer an episode thumbnail perhaps ti should be an option.

harrybi

Hi,

thanks a lot for the profile.

It also works fine for my LG 42 LN 5778.

But I'm still missing the ability to ff (fast forward) and backward.

Does someone know how to get that functionality?

Greetings

Harry 

psxlover

If the video needs transcoding then you can't fast forward/backward. You can see if the video is transcoding, but checking if ffmpeg is running on your pc while you watch the video.

What's the media info of the videos you are trying to fast forward and can't?

danergo

Hi Guys,

I read through the topic and I'd like you to confirm something.

My desire is very simple. One video file with one (and only one) subtitle (srt type).

Server OS is Linux (Debian) if matters.

Client: LG TV (WebOS), xx650V.

Is Emby able to server my media.mp4 + media.srt to the TV?

(I tried some other servers:

Plex: not able to apply subtitles

Serviio: not able to apply subtitles

MediaMonkey: ABLE to apply subtitles - but not runs on Linux)

So, will it work? What do you think?

danergo

Apply == stream directly to TV.

Now I tried with Emby with this LG Smart+ profile, but this also not sending the srt to my TV.

Also, when I try playing back the video in the web browser locally, it displays the subtitle settings, and lists my subtitle, however, subtitles are not displayed. :(

Here is a capture from MediaMonkey that was able to stream external subtitle for exvid-taken2.avi (exvid-taken2.hu.srt):

http://pastebin.com/McCGupmd

And here is the one produced by Emby (subtitles are not working for the same video):

http://pastebin.com/xLyqGYSa

Emby should send the subtitles like the following guide:

https://git.popcorntime.io/popcorntime/desktop/merge_requests/17

Edited by danergo

psxlover

Emby should be working fine with subtitles on your TV as long as you have a correct dlna profile and the video is on a format that your TV can play without the need of transcoding.

Subtitles work fine on my TV with both Popcorn Time and Plex (through SmartShare, not normal DLNA), no idea why you have a problem with Plex.

Make sure you have selected "Force Subtitles" and your language in your user settings (click the second from the right icon on the top right of the web interface --> Settings --> Playback settings. Subtitle language should be the one you want and "Subtitle mode" should be "Always play subtitles" if you want to always see them. Else leave it to default, but make sure that your subtitles contain the 3 characters corresponding to your language, e.g. for greek the subtitle should be media.ell.srt