FR: Roku - Ability to delete shows/movies via Roku?

careca

Posting in the Feature Request forum as requested...

Would be possible to add the delete option to the Roku client? In my scenario, I don't need to keep TV shows episodes after I watch them. I can delete them with MB Classic, but not with the Roku client, which forces me to manually go to the server and delete it afterward (or just watch everything via MB Classic)

Edited by gcw07

• 1 month later...

I second this request.  I see a lot of posts against this function, that I do not understand.  For me it is one of those fundamental functions that is standard for almost any application. As with the original poster my primary use of media browser is TV episode watching, so deleting watched episodes is preferred.  

Other than that, awesome product!, great work all around. 

Sorry this just isn't going to be in there. The only way to add it is to have a feature toggle. That means that anybody that wanted to could just toggle the option and delete everything. With MBC you must manually do it through editing the configuration xml file. You can't just toggle it along with every other option in the channel. Sorry.

Ok, sorry to hear that, I need to consider going back to MBC then. So I guess there is something wrong with being able to delete everything.

I saw a post about being able to delete a season when it was finished, I assume that is easy to find in the interface?

Erickd - rather than go back to mbc, you could instead focus on building more support for this request. if it gains enough momentum anything can happen.

Deleting content is a touchy item.  Yes, it is convenient for some in some situations but MB is designed primarily for people to manage their personal media collections which, for the most part, consists of content that you would never want deleted.

Can you imagine coming home and finding that grandma or the babysitter deleted your entire 12TB movie collection?  That's why it is a "hidden" feature in MBC.  I don't really like hidden features, but this one, I think is dangerous enough that I've kept it that way.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Looks like I'm draing up a stale topic.  I was just searching for this sort of functionality.  Bummed to see it's not keen in the eyes of the devs.  But I think delete functionality is reasonable given the context.  We don't keep stuff our DVR forever.  It's watch and delete.

Now that I can watch DVR content on the Roku, (which is awesome) WAF will be impacted if a delete option isn't present!  And me being the DVR Delete Admin won't cut it either.

Seems like it could be easy enough to implement if there was a "Recordable TV/DVR" Folder Type, which would indicate to clients to allow episode delete options. 

That'd keep granny from pwning your movie collection!  Although she could delete all of your Survivor episodes.  But if she deletes them all, one at a time, I'd call that intentional!

Edited by elmo

gcw07

Yeah the biggest reason is there is no way from stopping it. Like in order to activate it in WMC, you have to modify a text file configuration. The only way to do it on the Roku would be in the preferences with everything else. That means anybody could just flip it on and start deleting everything. By the time you realized it, your entire library could have been deleted. It is just a very dangerous feature.

Now this doesn't mean that we might not implement it for the Live TV section. Since that is more the DVR type functionality.