Feature Request

chessdragon136

chessdragon136

Hi All,

I've closed the old thread and started a new one simply as I was getting lots of PM's about features which were in the old request but due to my absence I haven't implemented / answered on. As such, I've listed them below with my answers and of course, feel free to make suggestions. 

Note: Any Video Playback issues or Transcoding issues please post in the Video Playback Issues thread

1. Monochrome Icons - No, I think the colour is needed and its too much work for a tiny part of the app
2. Help Page - Make a proper page of it, link in Tools menu and have it page dependant My suggestion as its severely needed now! 
3. Show synopsis on info button press I'll ponder on this, the GUI during video playback needs a bit of work
4. Multiple episode files - Need to support them in the UI - Possible length issues!!!
5. Rotating backdrops on Music - im85288, this is all yours!
6. Saving the value of the option to save the password or not would mean I would be less likely to forget to reset it each time.

7. Adding an option to the tools menu to "Log out and forget password" would make it faster and easier to perform those operations

8. Providing a toast or dialog for feedback that the password was forgotten after a yellow key press would set my mind at ease that the action had actually been accepted by the program.

Music

2. Album art does not change when scrolling to down to a new album when under an Artist.  App lists all songs from all albums, but only displays the first Album art when scrolling down.

3. When under Artist the album name is not displayed on the top under artists name like it is when in Album Artist

4. Feature Request: can the app be changed to display individual albums once clicking on an Album Artist or Artist and then the songs once you click on the album.  Nested like it is on the web

Edited by chessdragon136
  • Like 4

FrostByte

+1 on the playlists for music.  Would be the icing on the cake sort of speak

FR:  A feature request I brought up awhile back in another thread is support for multiple episode file naming.  

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/TV%20naming#multi-episode-files

While the app does play multiple episode files correctly it does not display the episode # after the first like other MB clients.  It's not a huge need as I said they will play correctly and I don't have a ton of them.  Is helpful when multiple episodes are played on any given night or on a few DVDs which lump multiple episodes in one file when ripped.

For example the web client displays a multiple episode file S01E01E02 - episode name (s)  as S1, E1, E2 - episode name (s)  where as the app ignores the episode # after the first found

Thanks

Edited by FrostByte

ginjaninja

Feature Requests for Music

as a regular music user i have the following suggestions / requests for music.

View - Latest Albums in Library

View - Last Played Albums

Browse by Album Artist - Grouped by First Letter

Browse by Artist - Grouped by First Letter

Search by Trackname, Album, Artist.

In Album View - Show Artists and Track number for each track ...allow hyperlinks from artist of track to artist view..

In Artist View - List Albums where Artist is AlbumArtist of Album sort Chronologically, Separately List Albums where Artist has tracks but not album artist, sort alphabetically.

Album view when entered from artist view, highlight tracks of artist (useful for compilations, red button cycle through artist's tracks within album)

Ability to add content to now playing (from search results or browse), manage now playing, save now playing as playlist.

thanks for considering.

• 3 weeks later...

I have multiple 2 servers while logging out the app and going up to the level of server selection using the blue button; I delete the server definition by mistake, can we have a simple warning message to avoid deleting server accidentally.

DaN

DrWatson

@@chessdragon136

A small but probably difficult FR.

Not sure if it is even possible but is there a way to have a local mode on the app? My internet was quite flakey over the weekend and it made it impossible to use the app (as it requires net connection). Is there a way to code it so it will just run on the lan if no net connection is present?

Cheers thanks for considering.

ginjaninja

Loving the search function...

Some Suggestions

Search input to default to last search

UI to show last X searches

also about the bounding box around the letter in the search field during text entry....to indicate that another letter press will change current letter rather than add another letter...

well i only get the bounding box on the first letter against each number eg the 'a' in abc or the 'd' in def...

CBers

Is there a way of adjusting the FF/RW controls?

Currently they're both 30 second jumps, but I would prefer only 10 second on RW.

Just wondered if it was possible.

Thanks.

Edited by CBers

An excellent app. Great work.
One very minor feature request - When selecting a TV episode it can sometimes be very difficult to know which episode you are selecting if the background picture is also dark. See first screenshot - Episode 5 is selected.

54df96f5a159d_Samsung_Original.jpg

Would it be possible to also highlight the Title text in maybe blue as well as the black background. See screenshot no.2 (Sorry for the quality of the screenshots)

54df97b87f933_Samsung1.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
FrostByte

FR: honor the user option from webclient to "Group movies into collection" while in the movie view, or add an option in the app.

• Like 1

FrostByte

FR: add the ability to play multi-part movies when named using the already MB defined standards in https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie%20naming#split-video-files-file-stacking .  This will give the ability to play movies when ripping multi disk sets like the Hobbit 3D bluray series movies.  Currently the app just stops after playing the first part and doesn't play the additional parts or give an option to.

Can either auto play the second part, or make to look like the webclient where you can select the second part as shown in the pic below.  Which ever makes sense.

Thanks

54eba45375cbc_Untitled.jpg

Edited by FrostByte

• 2 weeks later...
MongooseMan

Handle new "Smart Touch Remote" pointer control

The newer Smart TVs come with a smart touch remote, which has, as one of it's major features, the ability to use the remote like a laser pointer/mouse.

It looks like this (the lower rows of buttons differ by region, mine has the 4 colours in the 2nd row from bottom):

54fc4f11589ee_samsungun55h6400productpho

I've done some reading, and it "appears" that all that is required to allow your app to use the pointer functionality is to enable it in config.xml:

<mouse>y</mouse> (Reference)

Could you give this a try? I'll happily test on my side.

Thanks for all the work!

Graeme

Edit: It would appear this goes deeper than I originally thought. I've started a chat with you on Github, happy to follow up there.

Edited by MongooseMan
  • Like 2

maximumentropy

@@DaN @@crashkelly @@MrFlux @@maximumentropy

User login feedback please:

I've spent a few hours looking into this and have the following in my test setup:

When a user logs in with no password logs in no problem

When a user logs in with password, password entry box is shown along with an option to save the password or not, default is true

If user selects true, password is saved and isnt required on further login, ig user selects false, password will be needed on next entry

Pressing the yellow button from the user login page will delete all saved passwords for accounts which have passwords.

Does this work for you?

I finally got to try this out, and it's very helpful to me.  I no longer need to keep the app locked and inaccessible to the children.  Thank you for adding this capability.

There are a few small additional improvements along these lines which would make it even better for me.

1) Saving the value of the option to save the password or not would mean I would be less likely to forget to reset it each time.

2) Adding an option to the tools menu to "Log out and forget password" would make it faster and easier to perform those operations

3) Providing a toast or dialog for feedback that the password was forgotten after a yellow key press would set my mind at ease that the action had actually been accepted by the program.

Thanks for a great app, and for implementing this family-friendly functionality!

• Like 1

Viewing content metadata was enhanced; since the new layout was adapted, I'm really happy viewing a movie or a TV episode page; when clicking on CAST zone; viewing movie actors and actresses; names with no images; adding these from ImagesByName will be a perfect improvement to the layout considering the studio image as well.

In addition, once you choose an actor, the next page which shows all related contents need some work to be as shiny as the movie page; I'll share some ideas to enrich the actor related page by mocking up some designs.

Regards,

DaN

FrostByte

FR:  add an "Upcoming" header under TV like in the webclient.  That way you can see all the upcoming/unaired new episodes of shows you watch in one place.  Currently you need to go into each show and then the current season to find the next unaired show/episode

FrostByte

These both have to do with the Log

FR1: move the Log from Settings to within the list of Menu items.  The log doesn't really seem to be a setting to me (nothing to change) and it takes a lot of steps to get to if you need to review it.  I hardly ever need to change Settings once I've done my initial install.  It would seem to fit more properly with the Menu as a separate item.

FR2: Add option to save Log to a txt file on USB.  That way you don't have to look at my blurry cell pics

• Like 2

CBers

These both have to do with the Log

FR1: move the Log from Settings to within the list of Menu items. The log doesn't really seem to be a setting to me (nothing to change) and it takes a lot of steps to get to if you need to review it. I hardly ever need to change Settings once I've done my initial install. It would seem to fit more properly with the Menu as a separate item.

FR2: Add option to save Log to a txt file on USB. That way you don't have to look at my blurry cell pics

+1 for these requests.

Copying to a USB would be brilliant as when the app freezes/crashes, the log is inaccessible.

Would be better if we could connect to the TV's somehow from a Web browser to grab the log.

• Like 2

FrostByte

Oh, that would be even better if the log was written to the tv and you could connect to it and view as webpage from pc.  The easiest way chess can get it so you can view and then copy/paste here I'll take

• Like 2

chessdragon136

Sadly not possible, no rights to write to usb or for the tv's to allow access from externally (a browser)

My only solution would be to host a server setup to recieve logs and then let users submit them. And that is NOT going to happen. 

Sorry - it took soo long to implement that log due to the issues, and even then it only logs events, not app crashes. 

• Like 3

Sadly not possible, no rights to write to usb or for the tv's to allow access from externally (a browser)

My only solution would be to host a server setup to recieve logs and then let users submit them. And that is NOT going to happen.

Sorry - it took soo long to implement that log due to the issues, and even then it only logs events, not app crashes.

Why to host a server to receive a log from users, while every user has his own MB3 server ;)

I think there could be a way to write a plug-in at server level just for logging sammy client events

DaN

• Like 2

CBers

FR: OK, so in the dev MBS build, there are now dynamic images (you'll only see that post if you have access to the alpha area) for Views.

Just thought I'd post before lots of people ask for it - it'll be in the next Beta MBS I believe.

An example if you don't have access to that area:

Capture1033.jpg

Edited by CBers
  • Like 2