Kodi users can access films that are rights restricted

tired dad

tired dad

I have Kodi set up as a test front end with the Titan skin.  I have two users set up, one kids and one parents.  The child account will at the very least see one or two folders that should not be seen (but cannot access the movies), or at the worst, see all the movies in the folders, and actually play them.  The MB Server log shows they have indeed been able to launch the movie

The movies are not restricted in that they are adult or "R" rated, but I have limitations set so that the kids don't need to see folders that are irrelevant to them.

Perhaps I am setting the Kodi user profiles up incorrectly.  The "Master User" has full access and logs in to the MB Server with an account and password that exists on the server.  For the child, I set up another profile and then in the MB3 add-on, I put my son's name and no password (because he doesn't have one).  That was the only way I could figure to have two users log in with access to two different libraries.

Has anyone else experienced this?

This sounds exactly like the profile switching issue i have been reporting.

OP, if you leave your kids profile logged in long enough (within 5 minutes), will the views update with properly restricted content being hidden?  

• Like 1

tired dad

This sounds exactly like the profile switching issue i have been reporting.

OP, if you leave your kids profile logged in long enough (within 5 minutes), will the views update with properly restricted content being hidden?  

Yes... after some time (not sure, I was away for about twenty), the proper views take precedence.  I do seem to be getting a number of "Cannot connect" or "JSON" errors, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Here is a previous post that I had written up describing the symptoms. 

@xnappo & @im85288 are aware of the issue and hopefully some day will help us resolve it. :)

I log in on my own profile (Kent) who has no parental restrictions.  MB3 correctly reports that I have authenticated.  1080XF loads up my profile pic and name, and the menu items (what I refer to as content) is loaded according to my profile (playlists, parental controls, etc).

I then switch to another profile (Sebastian) and once again MB3 shows that Sebastian has authenticated.  However, 1080XF still retains the Kent pic and name as well as all relevant menu items for Kent (parental control, playlists).  If i start a movie or episodes MB3 does thankfully show that Sebastian has started it.  Now, within 5 minutes of logging in, 1080XF 'catches up' and will then show Sebastian's pic and name.  The menu items / spotlights (in Movies and TV Shows) then update according to his profile (parental controls, play lists).  One caveat is that the Home Ongoing TV Shows widget does not update properly and still retains the prior profiles playlist.

Hope that helps. I can take some screen shots, pull some logs or setup some tests accounts and PM you my IP and test IDs.  Let me know.

Thanks!

Edit: addition bit of information on behavior here as well: If I then exit out of Kodi (from Sebastian being logged in) and then open up Kodi and log straight into Sebastian's profile, the exact same symptoms occur as if I had just switched from Kent profile!

Some other details:

• Kent profile is the 'master user' in Kodi
  • The xbmb3c add-on is setup for each user profile with their respective login IDs and passwords
  • Kodi profiles were created as separate data sources and settings

xnappo

So basically guys - this is the story.  This is open source software.  No one is getting paid.  None of the devs use multiple profiles.  Multiple profiles is really complex, and not fun to code.

So... We need a dev who cares to fix this.

• Like 1

tired dad

So basically guys - this is the story.  This is open source software.  No one is getting paid.  None of the devs use multiple profiles.  Multiple profiles is really complex, and not fun to code.

So... We need a dev who cares to fix this.

Did someone say anything to malign the devs?  These are issues that have been noted, it's not a witch hunt or criticism.

xnappo

I didn't mean to come off negative on anyone, just hoping someone with some coding skills who uses the feature will volunteer to help.

• Like 1

marcelveldt

@@Kent Are you willing to test something out with your multi profile setup ?

I don't know if this is going to help but it might be worth a try.

1. Go to your Kodi-folder (on windows in c:\users\username\appdata\roaming\kodi)

2. Open the addons subfolder

3. Open folder plugin.video.xbmb3c

4. Open file addon.xml in a text-edtor like Notepad++ and look for this line:

<extension point="xbmc.service" library="service.py" start="startup">

Change start="startup"  to:  start="login"

After that start Kodi and try out the user switching. Maybe it helps.

Like xnappo already said, none of us has multiple profiles setup and lot's of info gets cached into the addon (else it would be really slow).

If the profile is switched it takes some time before all caches are filled again with the info for the changed user.

It's very complex to get that stuff right.

Edited by marcelveldt

im85288

It's a bit more complicated than that, we have multiple threads running in the background. To resolve this they will need the be restarted on profile switching.

• Like 1

I can certainly test this out, for sure, or any other ideas you guys have.  Sounds like it might be more complicated but might as well take the 5-10 minutes and report back results.  I'll try it tonight after work.

• Like 1

tired dad

I didn't mean to come off negative on anyone, just hoping someone with some coding skills who uses the feature will volunteer to help.

We've all had bad interpretations of message :-)

I certainly apprecaite the effort you guys are doing (there's a reason I donated twice): my HTPC groans under WMC so Kodi is looking like a good alternate so far with the MB3 backend.

tired dad

@@Kent Are you willing to test something out with your multi profile setup ?

I don't know if this is going to help but it might be worth a try.

1. Go to your Kodi-folder (on windows in c:\users\username\appdata\roaming\kodi)

2. Open the addons subfolder

3. Open folder plugin.video.xbmb3c

4. Open file addon.xml in a text-edtor like Notepad++ and look for this line:

<extension point="xbmc.service" library="service.py" start="startup">

Change start="startup"  to:  start="login"

After that start Kodi and try out the user switching. Maybe it helps.

Like xnappo already said, none of us has multiple profiles setup and lot's of info gets cached into the addon (else it would be really slow).

If the profile is switched it takes some time before all caches are filled again with the info for the changed user.

It's very complex to get that stuff right.

I tried it... works like a charm so far, but I am going to wait 5-10 minutes too, to see what happens if I log out and back in after that.

tired dad

I tried it... works like a charm so far, but I am going to wait 5-10 minutes too, to see what happens if I log out and back in after that.

So far, this is holding as a working solution.

I had to re-enable the add-on but once that was enabled, it does properly filter the playlists.  But the profile name / MB3 Pic (in 1080XF) still has Kent in it and the Home Widget for On-going TV shows still has the kent playlist. Otherwise, all the other playlists are filtered properly based on the userid!

One step forward... :)

Tranquil

Just for my understanding : shouldn't all the filtering be handled on server side or do I miss something?!

xnappo

Just for my understanding : shouldn't all the filtering be handled on server side or do I miss something?!

Yes, this is a matter of all the data already pulled down being updated.  If you restart Kodi, there is no issue.

Yes, this is a matter of all the data already pulled down being updated.  If you restart Kodi, there is no issue.

Not necessarily .  At least with 1080XF, the profile widget (upper left corner) and the movie and TV Widgets on the Home screen always reflects the master user.  Eventually the profile updates to the correct user, but the Movie and TV Show widgets never update and are always showing the master user profile's userid.

Yeah unfortunately. Restarting Kodi and going straight into a non-master user you still have the master user playlists load on the home menu.  However, all the other playlists are correct. Maybe just a problem with 1080XF?  I'll have to try Titan and see if the results are different there.

Edit: Ok Titan is pretty clean when you do a fresh start of Kodi and go right into the non-master user profile.  It's just 1080XF that shows the master user playlists and only on the Home screen (movie and TV widgets).

Edited by Kent

im85288

Yeah unfortunately. Restarting Kodi and going straight into a non-master user you still have the master user playlists load on the home menu.  However, all the other playlists are correct. Maybe just a problem with 1080XF?  I'll have to try Titan and see if the results are different there.

Edit: Ok Titan is pretty clean when you do a fresh start of Kodi and go right into the non-master user profile.  It's just 1080XF that shows the master user playlists and only on the Home screen (movie and TV widgets).

@@Kent - I'm guessing Titan is not showing the user profile picture on the home screen? I've also got an idea about the playlists. Can you report on the skin thread the exact symptoms, as I've lost track of what's gone on here. thanks