Emby TV CLUB

CBers

I've been watching Ring of Power. So far its been okay. 

I'm glad they introduced Isildur.

That is an interesting character from the movies and books. He's the one who cuts the ring off Sauron?

Welp they have brought back Quantum Leap.

It probably could have been good to if it wasn't for  who ever cut together the first episode

Just all of a sudden it went from fancy party to guy in the "Quantum Leaper" jumping back in time. 

All I could think was... What just happened? Why?

To bad to because Ernie Hudson is in the show, and he's great!

adamstewiegreen

Under the Banner of Heaven - A Mormon (LDS) cop investigates the murder of a devout mother and daughter (true story).  Oh boy!  This show basically depicts LDS as fundamentally abusive because of the way authority is structured.  I want to believe that this is all over the top, but it certainly doesn't depict LDS in a good light, in fact it goes into its history and writings to find the murderer's "religious justification" - since the actual murderers claimed they were doing it on behalf of their god.

It's fascinating but I'm taking some of it with a grain of salt.

Edit: the way I describe it sounds like a documentary, it is not.

Edited by adamstewiegreen

1 hour ago, adamstewiegreen said:

Under the Banner of Heaven - A Mormon (LDS) cop investigates the murder of a devout mother and daughter (true story).  Oh boy!  This show basically depicts LDS as fundamentally abusive because of the way authority is structured.  I want to believe that this is all over the top, but it certainly doesn't depict LDS in a good light, in fact it goes into its history and writings to find the murderer's "religious justification" - since the actual murderers claimed they were doing it on behalf of their god.

It's fascinating but I'm taking some of it with a grain of salt.

Edit: the way I describe it sounds like a documentary, it is not.

This is a good show and it is based on actual events.  The part I think is more "made up" is the internal struggle of the main character investigating officer.  What you have to realize is that these events and people were on the outer fringe of fundamentalist LDS.  Like any other religion - when taken to extreme, bad things can happen.

Junglejim
On 22/09/2022 at 07:37, chef said:

Star wars andor is next level! First 3 episodes are amazing. Wow.

Yep I totally agree. Disney+ has been kicking butt with the Star Wars ip as far as TV Shows go!

I credit this to Jon Favreau/Dave Filoni and Kathleen Kennedy for setting the bar so high. 👍

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5d6n5RtRgY

Edited by Junglejim

• 3 weeks later...
Junglejim
On 17/09/2022 at 21:15, CBers said:

I'm enjoying The Rings of Power. 

I have never watched the movies, but have read the books. 

I'm taking it as a brand new TV show with no history, so perhaps that's why I'm liking it. 

I must admit this show has grown on me as I get deeper into the season. There planning on producing 5 seasons (hopefully) so I'm looking froward to watching more. :)

I'm sure there will be some nice plot twists and reveals to come. 👍

Edited by Junglejim

Junglejim
On 21/09/2022 at 05:06, chef said:

Welp they have brought back Quantum Leap.

It probably could have been good to if it wasn't for  who ever cut together the first episode

Just all of a sudden it went from fancy party to guy in the "Quantum Leaper" jumping back in time. 

All I could think was... What just happened? Why?

To bad to because Ernie Hudson is in the show, and he's great!

LOL. I remember the original back in the late 80's with Scott Bakula. It was ok for the time I guess but it looks cheesy now.

I was thinking of checking this out just for some nostalgia but on your comment I think I'll give it a miss.

Junglejim
On 17/09/2022 at 21:36, chef said:

I've been watching Ring of Power. So far its been okay. 

I'm glad they introduced Isildur.

That is an interesting character from the movies and books. He's the one who cuts the ring off Sauron?

Yep, It will be interesting how they weave this timeline together. In the movie/books he must be 40++ years old when he cut's the ring of power off Sauron.

I've just watched the latest episode after the creation of Mordor. This series just keeps getting better with every episode. It started slow but wow!!

Edited by Junglejim
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Junglejim said:

LOL. I remember the original back in the late 80's with Scott Bakula. It was ok for the time I guess but it looks cheesy now.

I was thinking of checking this out just for some nostalgia but on your comment I think I'll give it a miss.

It gets a bit better by the third episode... It's worth the watch, but don't get your hopes up. LOL!

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
Cheesegeezer

is "The Man in The High Castle" worth a watch?  just curious.  Sounds interesting but can't be bothered to get invested to find out there is no point to it and the writers just write for writings sake.

I don't trust RT or IMDB anymore for reviews.  

• Like 1

ginjaninja
19 hours ago, Cheesegeezer said:

is "The Man in The High Castle" worth a watch?  just curious.  Sounds interesting but can't be bothered to get invested to find out there is no point to it and the writers just write for writings sake.

As is often the case, starts v. strong and gets weaker..to the point of bad at the end. Not a "must watch" taken as a whole imo

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
adamstewiegreen
On 10/25/2022 at 2:51 AM, Cheesegeezer said:

For what it's worth, I started it but didn't finish it...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Junglejim

Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi. If your a Star Wars fan and don't mind the animated stuff by "Dave Filoni" (The Clone Wars/The Bad Batch etc.). This is good, it's only 6 episodes (hopefully more) that center around the back story's of "Ahsoka Tano" and "Count Dooku".

I enjoyed it, binged it in one sitting. :)

Edited by Junglejim
  • Agree 1

download.jpg.d31506ac528ed4c7f648c4929b1fc2d2.jpg

While  looking at the actors that are involved in the Star Wars Andor series.

I see that, indeed, Alan Tudyk is involved in the series.

Does that ruin it for me?

No! I absolutely love this series so far, and knowing that the amazing Alan Tudyk is involved actually makes me excited to see how they introduce K-2SO .

If you haven't watched Resident Alien, then you absolutely should. LOL! Alan Tudyk is a national treasure (much like Keanu... or Ryan R. ... or Hugh J.... national treasures. LOL!).

Andor is awesome! :) 

Edited by chef
  • Agree 1

Junglejim
9 minutes ago, chef said:

download.jpg.d31506ac528ed4c7f648c4929b1fc2d2.jpg

While  looking at the actors that are involved in the Star Wars Andor series.

I see that, indeed, Alan Tudyk is involved in the series.

Does that ruin it for me?

No! I absolutely love this series so far, and knowing that the amazing Alan Tudyk is involved actually makes me excited to see how they introduce K-2SO .

If you haven't watched Resident Alien, then you absolutely should. LOL! Alan Tudyk is a national treasure (much like Keanu).

Andor is awesome! :) 

Yea Alan Tudyk is a great actor. Loving Andor, also Resident Alien is great. He's also in one of my all time fav sci-fi tvshows Firefly and did a great job voicing Clayface in the recent Harley Quinn series.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Junglejim

I rarely watch Amazon Prime but I stumbled into this animation..

The Legend of Vox Machina  (disclaimer this is not for kids).

It doesn't take it's self too seriously but it can get intense at times.

I binged the first season but I like this type of animation stuff from prime.

Edited by Junglejim
  • Like 1

adamstewiegreen

The missus and I just binged through 5 seasons of Yellowstone.  Oh my!  It's like part Western part soap opera (probably why the wife likes it... ha ha!).  Came on my radar when I discovered a Yellowstone prequel was being made starring Harrison Ford (it's out now, called 1923).  It's a wild ride!

• Agree 1

sross44
4 hours ago, adamstewiegreen said:

The missus and I just binged through 5 seasons of Yellowstone.  Oh my!  It's like part Western part soap opera (probably why the wife likes it... ha ha!).  Came on my radar when I discovered a Yellowstone prequel was being made starring Harrison Ford (it's out now, called 1923).  It's a wild ride!

Then you need to watch the two other prequels.... 1899 and 1923. But flat out AMAZING as well. 

• Like 1

Junglejim
19 hours ago, adamstewiegreen said:

Give the first prequel (1883) a try. While I do enjoy Yellowstone, 1883 feels like a true western and I like that era more personally.

I haven't watched any of the second prequel you mentioned (1923) but I sure I will enjoy that also.

Edited by Junglejim

Cheesegeezer

I really hope Yellowstone Season 5 first half is the build up for an explosive second half... I found it pretty uneventful and also soooo many cut scenes of roping cattle, fairs, singing and scenery.  But i think there is a good foundation now to get back to how the show was.

On the otherhand.....

MAYOR OF KINGSTON -   That show is fricken amazing... hooked on it.

• Like 1