Emby TV CLUB

CBers

WilhelmStroker

I really enjoyed the first 4 episodes of Devs. From the same writer as Ex Machina. Slow, atmospheric stuff

BillOatman

With Eliza Dushku?

Yeah. All I'm gonna say is mmmmmmmm

I must agree.  Any other must-see things with her in it? :)

I really enjoyed the first 4 episodes of Devs. From the same writer as Ex Machina. Slow, atmospheric stuff

Thanks for this, Never heard of it but watched the first episode last night and will be watching the rest :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
WilhelmStroker

I'm still enjoying Devs.

Also watched:

Mythic Quest. From the same guys as It's always sunny.  Had its moments, for example episode 3 with Nazis, but also a few extremely annoying characters. Only 9 episodes though.

Loudermilk. Centers on Sam Loudermilk, a recovering alcoholic and substance abuse counselor with a bad attitude. Very funny in places but also suprisingly touching. Looking forward to season 3.

adamstewiegreen

Ex Machina was quite the disturbing Neitzchian vision of humanity.  I quite enjoyed it.  I'm going to have to look into this Devs show...

I've been watching Better Call Saul and enjoying it thoroughly.

I'm trying to get through Westworld (it's become terribly pretentious and up itself though, it's been playing a game rather than telling a story)

adamstewiegreen

After Ex Machina I wondered whether the writer was an atheist or deist.  While in Ex Machina god is explored implicitly here in Devs the religious symbolism/music/overtones are quite pronounced:  the child looks like she's praying, Devs headquarters looks like its modeled from an ancient temple, the entrance to dev hq has 2 mandalas and lets not forget that music. 

And then there's the plot and Offerman's (diabolical?) monologue at that one key moment.  Although, it's funny he argues for materialism and doesn't ask the obvious question of what started the ball rolling in the first place.

Good show, I'm interested to see where it ends up...

• 2 weeks later...
WilhelmStroker

I wonder if anything comes close to Devs this year for TV.

I've just finished the first season of Halt and catch fire, and am 4 episodes into Season 2. Somehow never saw it but a friend recommended it and I'm really enjoying it so far.

• Like 1

I've just finished the first season of Halt and catch fire, and am 4 episodes into Season 2. Somehow never saw it but a friend recommended it and I'm really enjoying it so far.

That is a fantastic series - one of my favs of the past few years.  I'm biased as I lived through that period but it is also just really well-done all the way to the end.

Enjoy.

• Like 2

WilhelmStroker

That is a fantastic series - one of my favs of the past few years.  I'm biased as I lived through that period but it is also just really well-done all the way to the end.

Enjoy.

I was a bit too young but I'm really enjoying it so far. Well written and great characters. And some great music on the soundtrack too.

Jdiesel

We've been watching Home Before Dark in our house lately. It can be a bit cheesy at times but one might expect that from a family friendly show. 

maegibbons

Anybody got old Seasons of "Strike Back".

Missing S03E08 ans S03E09.

S04 2,3,4,6,8

Many thanks

Krs

Mark

A 'like' is always appreciated!

jordy

Anybody got old Seasons of "Strike Back".

Missing S03E08 ans S03E09.

S04 2,3,4,6,8

Many thanks

Krs

Mark

PM'd you

Link sent. enjoy :)

cheers

Edited by jordy
  • Like 1

maegibbons

PM'd you

Link sent. enjoy :)

cheers

Thanks @@jordy

Krs

Mark

• Like 1

mediacowboy

I watched Upload this weekend. It was a good mix in my opinion of comedy, tech, mystery, and love story. The wife and I have a hard time agreeing on shows to watch and she wanted to watch this one.

CBers

I watched Upload this weekend. It was a good mix in my opinion of comedy, tech, mystery, and love story.

Same here.

adamstewiegreen

I watched Solar Opposites. From one of the co-creator of Rick and Morty (and obviously so). It's not as good or smart or funny or dark or witty or edgy as R&M but it's still pretty good. And at only 8 episodes long it's pretty easy to binge on a weekend.

WilhelmStroker

I watched Solar Opposites. From one of the co-creator of Rick and Morty (and obviously so). It's not as good or smart or funny or dark or witty or edgy as R&M but it's still pretty good. And at only 8 episodes long it's pretty easy to binge on a weekend.

I've got that on my list to watch as I love Rick and Morty. I'm also enjoying season 2 of What we do in the shadows and going to check out Brassic which looks interesting.

adamstewiegreen

Upload:  This is a dystopian nightmare disguised as a lighthearted comedy.  The idea that people are just software in 'meat' hardware isn't new, it's been around for (literally) thousands of years (look up 'Gnosticism').  The show has an undeniable charm, and I'll definitely check it out for season 2 (because I enjoy existential horror).  I'm a bit boring this way but, philosophically, I hope they delve a little deeper - I think it's possible while still keeping it light and having mass appeal.

The Americans:  This came out the year breaking bad ended and was the best thing on tv.  I'm watching it for the second time and it's even better on a second viewing.  This is one of the best tv shows ever made - up there with The Wire, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Mad Men.  Solid from beginning to end with no missteps or shark jumping.

WilhelmStroker

Yeah I enjoyed the Americans a lot, great show. Bad wigs though. Upload I need to watch still.

Currently enjoying What we do in the shadows and old episodes of Mst3k.

• 5 weeks later...
BillOatman

To those that recommended "Devs" ... thank you very much!  I finished it yesterday (binged it this weekend actually :) ) and thoroughly enjoyed it, though I wish they had picked up the pace a lot of the time.  Scenes taking 45 seconds of Lily walking somewhere when 10-15 would have been fine for example, but that may just be my ADHD kicking in :). But all in all, a mind-bending good time :)  I see there isn't a season 2 planned, and it's probably for the best.  End on a high note.