Emby TV CLUB

CBers

mediacowboy

Okay, so I was thinking of starting Doctor Who. Where should I start? Should I try starting the classics or just start with 2005?

sooty234
13 hours ago, mediacowboy said:

Okay, so I was thinking of starting Doctor Who. Where should I start? Should I try starting the classics or just start with 2005?

That's a tough question to answer. There is only one 'true' Doctor.... Tom Baker (he's the one with the scarf). Everyone needs to watch his seasons. He's the longest running Doctor, and set a bar that none other has passed. Pertwee was his predecessor, and also good. David Tennant is also a must watch, but you have to suffer through Eccleston to understand the Rose story arc. I refuse to watch anything past Tennant. I saw a little of the Matt guy....awful. You probably should watch something of the originals, otherwise you won't understand much of the subtext and who his enemies are. Just watch all of Tom Baker's stuff, then pick up with the 2005 stuff. In my library, I only have Baker's stuff and the first four seasons of the new stuff (up until Tennant left). For me, the Doctor has a very specific eccentricity, and it's difficult to do. Baker set the standard, Tennant is a close second with Pertwee trailing behind. The rest failed. Just compare Tennant to Eccleston, and you'll see what I mean.

Be aware that Tom Baker's seven seasons have 178 episodes.

259255160_doctor03(1).thumb.jpg.90cdffd4c7426cb117138b1623af5d14.jpg

Edited by sooty234

• 2 months later...
CharleyVarrick

I LOVED The Silence of the Lamb movie with Jodie Foster and Sir Anthony Hopkins (in my all time top 5)

There's a new series that just started last week, Clarice.

I realize its not the same actors and all, but has anyone seen it and care to comment.

I can't watch an episode and wait a whole week for the next one, so I'll wait until I have about the full season in store.. 

Edited by jlr19

On 2/19/2021 at 9:14 AM, jlr19 said:

I can't watch an episode and wait a whole week for the next one

I'm the same way.  Spoiled by Netflix :).

CBS sure hyped the heck out of this series during the NFL playoffs.

• Haha 3

I'm curious how good it is as well and more importantly how it can stay that way after 6 to 8 episodes as this type of theme if not done well could get old fast.

It's not like you'll have lots of "It rubs the Lotion on its skin" moments. :)

Who's going to take one for the team and check it out?

On 22/02/2021 at 19:44, cayars said:

What exactly do you mean by that?

Procedural = stand alone episodes with a predictable format. IE: In a police procedural it will start with a crime, proceed with the investigation and end with an arrest every episode. The first example I can think of is SWAT. It's pretty much the same show every episode with a different event, and a little scrap of storyline that flows from one show to another. But without having ever seen another episode you could just watch a random episode being played and not feel lost.

breezytm
On 10/12/2020 at 11:53 AM, sross44 said:

Anyone watching the new Walking Dead show? What are your thoughts so far? I've got the last two episodes recorded and need to watch. 

The walking dead is a dead show airing. They milked that cow until it bled. They had the opportunity to end the show when it was at it's peak and it would have went down in history as one of the greatest shows of all time. It would have been in the same conversations as The Wire, Breaking Bad, Games of Throne, Band of Brothers, etc...

breezytm
On 2/19/2021 at 9:14 AM, jlr19 said:

I can't watch an episode and wait a whole week for the next one, so I'll wait until I have about the full season in store.. 

That's why I am impatiently waiting for The Bay season 2 to end so I can bing watch it. I watched the first episode in season two and at the end I thought to myself, why, why, why lol 

7 minutes ago, breezytm said:

The walking dead is a dead show airing. They milked that cow until it bled. They had the opportunity to end the show when it was at it's peak and it would have went down in history as one of the greatest shows of all time. It would have been in the same conversations as The Wire, Breaking Bad, Games of Throne, Band of Brothers, etc...

lol he's asking about the second spin off show, not the first...or the third that's upcoming..or the movie 😆

8 minutes ago, roaku said:

lol he's asking about the second spin off show, not the first...or the third that's upcoming..or the movie 😆

It's practically a Stars Wars saga getting milked for everything it's worth.
It just takes away from the greatness of the originals.

Sometimes you felt like you better hurry up and watch a movie before George Lucas changed it again. LOL

I know I'm going to get flak from SW lovers for that comment.

Edited by cayars
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
CharleyVarrick

I watched the Superman & Lois pilot and was pleasantly surpised, I liked the "day job/night job" take and its rather well acted

I will watch episode 2 and see how it goes.

I have not watch any superman related show before this one, and there's been quite a few, so I am not comparing to anything else.

CharleyVarrick
On 2/28/2021 at 11:11 AM, cayars said:

It's practically a Stars Wars saga getting milked for everything it's worth.
It just takes away from the greatness of the originals.

Sometimes you felt like you better hurry up and watch a movie before George Lucas changed it again. LOL

I know I'm going to get flak from SW lovers for that comment.

I love the 3 original Star Wars, everything that came after= meh

About The walking Dead, I began to watch it from the pilot on as they were already at season 5 or 6.

I could not stop watching it and went thru those first 6 seasons in a month or so.

The last season I watched like a maniac fanatic was the Negan all out war, then something broke.

I began to pause multiple time during an episode, then between episodes, then stopped watching.

Where did you go Rick Grimes? Note to tv show directors: not advisable to lose main character.

Edited by CharleyVarrick

WilhelmStroker

Wellington Paranormal. Very funny from the people behind What we do in the shadows (the movie).

Atlanta. Need to start on the second season, enjoyed the first one.

Search Party. I started off disliking most of the characters but ended up bingeing most of it in 1 go. Very enjoyable.

Also watching Snowpiercer and American Gods but they don't really interest that much anymore.

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick
15 hours ago, WilhelmStroker said:

Search Party. I started off disliking most of the characters but ended up bingeing most of it in 1 go. Very enjoyable.

Also watching Snowpiercer and American Gods but they don't really interest that much anymore.

Those opposites seems to happen all the time.

Not so sure after just a pilot or 2 episodes, then grows on you like malignant tumor.

Took us many years to hop on board 24 with good ol Jack Bauer, then binged watch like 7 seasons in 3 weeks

Opposite also true. Some start with a bang, but then fizzle out (Designated Survivor comes to mind; sorry Kiefer)

Edited by CharleyVarrick

• 2 weeks later...
WilhelmStroker

Binged through:

Police Squad. I had never seen the tv show, but usually enjoy the silliness of the Naked Gun movies. This was good fun.

Catch-22. Not read the book in ages, and I have never seen the 1970s movie, but I really enjoyed this. A good mix between funny and sad with some very good acting performances.

The Plot against America. Started off pretty interesting in the first few episodes but it couldn't keep me interested. Shame as I like the premise and the people involved.

ginjaninja

not new but found recently.

solar opposites - ruder 'rick & morty' crossed with '3rd rock from the sun'. a animation getting better each season.

big mouth - very raw but charming sex ed animation.

call my agent/dix pour cent - a well made french comedy about a group of agents.

WilhelmStroker

Solar Opposites is pretty great, I need to finish sesaon 2.

Watched:
Rebus. I enjoy the books but somehow had never seen the tv show. The first seasom is odd as the actor doesn't look like Rebus from the books, but the rest of the seasons are pretty good.

Crazyhead. Somehow missed this too a few years ago. Very funny.

Too old to die young. Not sure what to think of this yet. Very slow and very long.

Edited by WilhelmStroker

adamstewiegreen

The problem (or at least my problem) with Solar Opposites is that - by far - the best episodes are the episodes which are the most unlike Rick and Morty - the wall episodes.  I think they stumbled onto something that could have been completely unique and amazing but they chose to focus on this Rick and Morty meets American Dad/Family Guy thing which while funny, is already starting to feel a little tired.  It should have been the other way around, most of the time in the wall with bits and pieces about this weird alien family.

• 1 year later...
adamstewiegreen

Update:

Barry: NoHo Hank is one of my favorite tv characters of all time.

Atlanta: One of my favorite shows, and I couldn't even finish the season this year.

Better call Saul: It's coming to an end and man, what a ride!

Tokyo Vice: Good beginning, sold middle then it just ends.  Really weird.  Other than that it was going really well...

Pachinko: AppleTV is upping their game, this KDrama is very good.

Severance: Again, AppleTV, very very good.  Although I find these "high concept" tv shows have a history of falling on their face after season 1... so we'll see...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, adamstewiegreen said:

Severance

I just started this.  Very intriguing.  Reminds me in character of "Devs".

• Like 1

BillOatman
3 hours ago, ebr said:

Yeah, if you liked Devs you'll almost certainly like Severance.

Pachinko looks interesting as well.  Not a huge fan of needing subtitles to watch something, but I'll give it a go.

Edited by BillOatman

• 2 weeks later...
Junglejim
On 11/06/2022 at 23:14, ebr said:

Yep I just started watching it to and I'm enjoying it. I also liked Devs.

Shows like this can slip under the radar but I'm glad I had a look at this. 👍