Emby TV CLUB

CBers

dark_slayer

Would be nice to have some sort of statistics here from what people watch, review, recommend, etc. I'd like to see what everyone is thinking about what shows but not skim through all the pages.

Edit: Maybe that's what Trakt is all about now that I think about it  :)

Would be nice if the widgets were actually back for trakt rather than back soon. Is four months soon? :P (depends on the vantage point I guess, 12 months would be soon if you knew it was how long you had to live)

• Like 1

jhevener

Here's what I currently have on an active download schedule and what I have scheduled for the upcoming months. I have mini-reviewed some of these and will continue to do so. Feedback is welcome as are likes. :)

Current Leach List

12 Monkeys (Season 1)
Black Sails (Season 2)
Backstrom (Season 1)
Bates Motel (Season 3)

Better Call Saul (Season 1)
Da Vinci's Demons (Season 3)
Dig (Season 1)
Gotham (Season 1)
House Of Lies (Season 4)
Justified (Season 6)
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Season 2)
Musketeers (Season 2)
Real Time With Bill Maher (Season 13)
Shameless (Season 5) review
The Flash (Season 1)
The Returned (Season 1)
Vice (Season 3)
Vikings (Season 3)

Queued Up Leach List

Marvel's Agent Carter (Season 2 Premiere ?)
American Horror Story (Season 5 Premiere October 2015)
Fargo (Season 2 Premiere Fall 2015)
From Dusk Till Dawn (Season 2 In Production) review
Empire (Season 2 Premiere Fall 2015 or Winter 2016)
Game Of Thrones (Season 5 Premiere April 12 2015)
Hannibal (Season 3 Premiere ?)
Hell On Wheels (Season 5 Premiere ?)
Inside Amy Schumer (Season 3 Premiere April 12, 2015) review
Louie (Season 5 Premiere April 9 2015) review
Penny Dreadful (Season 2 Premiere May 3 2015)
Ray Donovan (Season 3 Premiere July 12 2015
Salem (Season 2 Premiere April 5 2015
Sleepy Hollow (Season 3 September 2015)
The Strain (Season 2 Summer 2015)
The Walking Dead (Season 6 October 2015)
True Detective (Season 2 Summer 2015)
Under The Dome (Season 3 June 2015)

• Like 1

jluce50

Has Penny Dreadful gotten better? I really wanted to like it, but the first 3-4 episodes just fell kinda short of what I was hoping for...

• Like 2

jhevener

Sucks Fargo isn't until this fall! 

Yep, I really enjoyed the first season. Anyone who missed that is in for a treat if they watch it.

Has Penny Dreadful gotten better? I really wanted to like it, but the first 3-4 episodes just fell kinda short of what I was hoping for...

Well if it's any indication, I haven't finished the whole season either. I love just about any period piece but this one hasn't been like "I've got to watch the next episode asap". I enjoy the acting and the actors, the sets, scenery and costumes but the show doesn't really have a main storyline just a bunch of sub-plots and Sir Malcolm in his steady resolve to protect Vanessa. I like it enough to keep grabbing it and wait for a semi-dry spell to give it another go. I've just got too much to watch now.

xnappo

Yep - agree on Penny Dreadful.  There is no reason why I shouldn't like this show... But I don't.  Three episodes left I think..

thefirstofthe300

For how bad the show started out, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has gotten surprisingly good since Winter Soldier's release. I think it helped that they suddenly didn't have the comfort of massive agency with almost unlimited resources.

• Like 1

jhevener

For how bad the show started out, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has gotten surprisingly good since Winter Soldier's release. I think it helped that they suddenly didn't have the comfort of massive agency with almost unlimited resources.

I couldn't get past the first few episodes myself but plan on giving it another try after The Flash and Gotham finish up their first seasons.

thefirstofthe300

Hang on until about episde 17. Up to that point, they are gaining momentum but the show's quality goes through the roof IMO at episode 17.

Everything since then has been fairly rock solid.

Edited by DaBungalow

Heckler

I've not watched past episode 3 either..

I've simply got so many shows on the go that it's hard to keep up. I've still not finished the final season of Sons of Anarchy, not started season 3 of Walking Dead... not even started on The Musketeers, Homeland, Breaking Bad, House of Cards, True Detective, Dominion, Murder in the First, Legends or Orphan Black... and there's a dozen other shows I'm behind on current seasons (or just finished seasons) like Justified, 12 Monkeys, Lost Girl, Black Sails, Constantine, Orange is the new Black, Sleepy Hollow, Once Upon a Time and a few others.

Starting up with a new show at the moment seems pointless if I can't keep on top of others... Thankfully many seasons are coming to an end so perhaps I'll have time over the summer to get all caught up... SoA and Justified are on their last seasons... so that potentially opens up a couple of slots for new or newish shows in the Autumn.

Heckler

Am i the only one who thinks that Arrow has been losing the plot recently... Seems to have gone downhill rapidly this latter half of Season 3... to the point that it's getting rather ridiculous to watch.  If it continues like this to the end of the season (only a few eps left)... I may not bother with season 4 at all.

The Flash on the other hand has been good fun... it's not taking itself too seriously and has plenty of tongue in cheek moments...

On the other side... Agent Carter has been excellent so far and long may it continue... Daredevil starts later this year... so providing that can eradicate the memories of the movie... it will get added to the watch list by default.

• Like 1

xnappo

Completely agree on Arrow and The Flash.

I am shocked at how much I like The Flash - plus it is family friendly.  My poor six year old is getting her mind melted between 12 Monkeys, Steinsgate and The Flash though!

• Like 1

thefirstofthe300

Love Agent Carter and the Flash. Agent Carter has a brilliant villain in Dottie. The Flash is good, clean super hero fun with some really nice twists.

Arrow started out brilliantly but the whole Ra's al Ghul arc is just ludicrous. Not to mention Malcolm is back.....why?

jhevener

Am i the only one who thinks that Arrow has been losing the plot recently... Seems to have gone downhill rapidly this latter half of Season 3... to the point that it's getting rather ridiculous to watch.  If it continues like this to the end of the season (only a few eps left)... I may not bother with season 4 at all.

The Flash on the other hand has been good fun... it's not taking itself too seriously and has plenty of tongue in cheek moments...

On the other side... Agent Carter has been excellent so far and long may it continue... Daredevil starts later this year... so providing that can eradicate the memories of the movie... it will get added to the watch list by default.

I don't even bother with Arrow anymore. I watched Season 1 but it seemed like all the episodes blended together and my ultimate impression was "meh". Maybe if I ever get desperate but so much to choose from these days it doesn't seem likely.

Now, The Flash was definitely a surprise and left exactly the opposite impression. It's a real fun show to watch and damn I really like looking at Iris (played by Candice Patton)!! She's hot like Nicole Beharie (Abbie in Sleepy Hollow) who is probably the only reason I keep watching that particular show. ;)

I've simply got so many shows on the go that it's hard to keep up. I've still not finished the final season of Sons of Anarchy, not started season 3 of Walking Dead... not even started on The Musketeers, Homeland, Breaking Bad, House of Cards, True Detective, Dominion, Murder in the First, Legends or Orphan Black... and there's a dozen other shows I'm behind on current seasons (or just finished seasons) like Justified, 12 Monkeys, Lost Girl, Black Sails, Constantine, Orange is the new Black, Sleepy Hollow, Once Upon a Time and a few others.

You owe it to yourself to find some time for Breaking Bad. You're in for one wild ride with that one. True Detective should be on your short list too... best show of 2014 IMHO.

jluce50

You owe it to yourself to find some time for Breaking Bad. You're in for one wild ride with that one. True Detective should be on your short list too... best show of 2014 IMHO.

True Detective was f'ing amazing! It was odd though. I didn't really realize how amazing it was until it was over. The closing scene was pretty powerful and I just kinda sat there for a minute, not sure what to think or feel. It was really an effect no other show has had on me (and hard to describe). I'm a little nervous that they may have set the bar so high that the subsequent seasons will never compare.

• Like 1

jhevener

Love Agent Carter and the Flash. Agent Carter has a brilliant villain in Dottie. The Flash is good, clean super hero fun with some really nice twists.

Arrow started out brilliantly but the whole Ra's al Ghul arc is just ludicrous. Not to mention Malcolm is back.....why?

Hopefully Agent Carter will garner bigger ratings as it almost didn't get renewed for another season. I love the show and usually watch it back to back with Gotham, a marvelously well done show. It amazes me how they frame every scene like a comic book panel on Gotham. Gorgeous show if you can stomach Jada Pinkett Smith.

jhevener

True Detective was f'ing amazing! It was odd though. I didn't really realize how amazing it was until it was over. The closing scene was pretty powerful and I just kinda sat there for a minute, not sure what to think or feel. It was really an effect no other show has had on me (and hard to describe). I'm a little nervous that they may have set the bar so high that the subsequent seasons will never compare.

Agreed, I'm wondering how Colin Farrell (yuck) and Vince Vaughn (double yuck) are going to pull it off. Too bad Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson couldn't sign on for Season 2 because they were fantastic together.

thefirstofthe300

Hopefully Agent Carter will garner bigger ratings as it almost didn't get renewed for another season. I love the show and usually watch it back to back with Gotham, a marvelously well done show. It amazes me how they frame every scene like a comic book panel on Gotham. Gorgeous show if you can stomach Jada Pinkett Smith.

I think Agent Carter didn't do very well because everybody figured that a show about Captain America's girl wouldn't be all that great since she wasn't a big player in either movie. People are certainly missing out though because Agent Carter has the potential to follow S.H.I.E.L.D's development from its founding to the current time in the MCU. I even read somewhere that is where the writer's are planning to go with it.

Heckler

Agreed, I'm wondering how Colin Farrell (yuck) and Vince Vaughn (double yuck) are going to pull it off. Too bad Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson couldn't sign on for Season 2 because they were fantastic together.

See... now you've just put me off that entire show... Knowing the a single season is all you get with two great actors... followed by two of the lamest, shitty actors whom I cannot stand. Seems like the perfect way to kill a show that everyone raves about.

jhevener

Don't worry, the first season completely resolves. You won't regret watching it of you like great television. I stand behind my assertion that it was the best show of 2014 and I certainly don't regret watching it. I highly doubted they both would be back for another season anyway. It truly was a disappointment when I found out who they chose to cast for second season though.

• Like 2

xnappo

If you do not watch True Detective you are seriously missing out.

It is freaking awesome.  

I am glad it wrapped up in one season!  It is like a 12 hour movie.

im85288

Not sure if it's been mentioned already in this thread but Fargo is another really great show...gripped from start to the end. Also loved Sons of Anarchy, just got better and better.

jhevener

Both great shows. Fargo is excellent all around with superb writing and acting along with a twisting plot line. Bilbo Baggins and Billy Bob Thornton... What more could you ask? Totally enjoyed Season 1 and can't wait for Season 2.

jhevener

Sons of Anarchy is great show but with so many seasons it has its ups and downs. The whole Irish season could be a yawner at times. Now that the series is over this can be good binge watching material for those in the mood.

TolkienBard

Sons of Anarchy is great show but with so many seasons it has its ups and downs. The whole Irish season could be a yawner at times. Now that the series is over this can be good binge watching material for those in the mood.

When the show started, it was only planned as a 4 or 5 season show. Had Kurt Sutter stuck to that, I think the show would have been much better. Once it passed that point, it really started to unravel in a hurry.