Emby TV CLUB

CBers

Heckler

Comedy shows don't really get a mention so far... but season 2 of Sirens starts soon... It's the US version of the UK short lived show... and I actually think the US version is a little better (or maybe I've become brainwashed by american humour).

US TV at the moment is going through something of a renaissance, they are producing some of the best TV of the last 10yrs... The 90's belonged to the UK, mostly the BBC. But now the majority of great TV shows are US ones.... many of which we don't get here in the UK, and forget about seeing them on freeview. Only expensive cable/satellite channels get the decent stuff anymore, and that's why I have to watch my TV by other means... god bless VPN's.   :)

CBers

I watched the first few Breaking Bad episodes and got bored with it.

I watched the last episode just to see what happened.

Personally, I don't think I'd missed anything in between.

I watch a lot of new shows and unless I can't wait till the next episode, then I normally "switch off".

I did that with Dominion as well.

Latchmor

I keep wondering about Breaking Bad.... it's been hyped up so much that I kinda feel like if I watch it... I'll only be disappointed by it.

Well I watched a couple episodes on E4 (I think that was where it was first shown in UK) and didn't really get in to it. Then I thought the same as you did above after people started going bonkers about it and I refused to join in. Theeeennn one holiday a year ago I binged on the whole lot and I did come to really like it really quickly. I'd watch it all again in a year or so maybe if my schedule allowed  :)

Yes BB becomes very addictive after a while but you absolutely have to go watch True Detective right now! ;)

• Like 1

ginjaninja

Thanks for recommendation, wife and i tried first two episodes...not too sure :-)...will persevere with the next two....

going to give Fargo and Crisis a go...

Persevered with "Galavant"...difficult not to like it when the actors are hamming it up so much and enjoying it...looking forward to it now..thanks for reccomendation. Nice cameos by ricky gervais and rutger hauer in the last episode.

Latchmor

Yes BB becomes very addictive after a while but you absolutely have to go watch True Detective right now! ;)

Just added it to my LoveFilm list. Cheers ;-)

Macburp

Not much comedy in this thread, that's true...

So how about Parks and Recreation? The 7th and final season is showing right now, the latest episode made me laugh uncontrollably.

Community has moved to Yahoo from NBC this year, looking forward to see how this affects things. Six seasons and a movie!

I'm enjoying Brooklyn Nine Nine too.

swhitmore

You've got some shows in your "haven't started yet" list that you really need to go watch...

Was that on my list? Which ones? I really need to get around to watching True Detective...

Edited by swhitmore

gthrift

I've only got around 168 shows on my media server... Some of which I may never watch again... there's a load that I've yet to watch at all... Stuff like Bones, Breaking Bad, Weeds, Dominion, True Detective, True Blood, The Americans, Homeland, Luther, Orphan Black,... a few older shows too like Monk and Sliders... which I vaguely remember from the odd episode but never really followed.

You have some very good shows that you need to watch.  Of the ones I've seen, I'd order them 1) Homeland, 2) Breaking Bad, 3)The Americans, 4) True Blood, 5) Weeds.

Homeland is great and I'd rank it equally to Breaking Bad but you can get through Homeland faster.  My parents just binged watched it in a week.

Same with the Americans and True Blood.  The Americans only has 24 episodes so far so its not that hard to get through if you binge watch it.  Weeds I like, its funny, edgy and has some good drama but I lost interest in it.

I have True Detective as well but haven't watched it yet, I'm saving it for the summer when I have less shows to watch.  

Right now the shows I activly watch are The Americans, Archer, Big Bang Theory, Californication, Game of Thrones, Homeland, House of Cards, Justified, Agents of Shield, Agent Carter, Modern Family, Parks and Rec, Ray Donovan, Scorpion, Silicon Valley, Sons of Anarchy, and Tyrant.  I'm behind on some.  I moved and was remodeling a house last summer and then had a baby back in early September and she was in NICU for 2 months so I got way behind on some shows due to lack of tv time.

My Favorites and shows others haven't mentioned:

The Americans - Great show, has its ups and downs in pacing but there is some great drama and suspense. 

Californication - I really liked this show but lost interest in it for a while.  I've been working on the final season for several months and still have 4 or 5 episodes to go.

Game of Thrones - I love it.  I've read the books and listened to the audiobooks on my long commute to and from work.  Can't wait for the new books and new season.

Homeland -  Great show.  3rd season dragged for a while and then half way through really picked up.  This last season was great and I cant wait for more.  

House of Cards - Kevin Spacey is amazing in this show.  Only a couple more weeks for the 3rd season! 

Parks and Rec - I just watched the entire previous season during my Christmas vacation.  I haven't watched the new episodes yet but I can't wait.

Ray Donovan - I can't recommend this show enough.  Lots of tension and edge of your seat moments.  Can't wait for the next season to come back on.

Sons of Anarchy - I haven't watched the last season yet but I generally can't find the time to watch a show this violent since I feel like my daughter doesn't need to see it.  

Heckler

@CBers  Cheers for that about SW Rebels... Got them all so far now... Technically there are 10 episodes out there... But the scene and the thetvmdb are once again at odds over numbering.

The scene counts e01 as the first episode (spark of rebellion) but thetvdb says it's a special and listed as season 0... as usual, no one there is willing to debate the subject and they simply lock everything to prevent correct order & numbering... It's my biggest gripe with that place. I tried for years to update things that were wrong, tried to reason with those that had been given a modicum of power... But they fail in every way possible to see logic and reason... No one is capable of admitting they are wrong.

It's not just them... the scene are just as bad when they screw up numberings too... then the exact opposite is true.

End result... we the users are left with metadata that's completely wrong, out of sequence and so forth... We suffer either way.

So now I've had to renumber every episode to get the correct tvbd metadata... even though it's wrong.

shaefurr

They filmed breaking bad where I live, walt's house in the show is about 20 minutes from mine :)

And the Los Pollos Hermanos resturaunt is actually the Twisters here.

CBers

@CBers Cheers for that about SW Rebels... Got them all so far now... Technically there are 10 episodes out there... But the scene and the thetvmdb are once again at odds over numbering.

Are you using Sonarr to obtain them?

These are what I have so far, with the correct air-date.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9FtGLztFm-gejJHTzRUbkNmV1U/edit?usp=docslist_api

Also, see this site: http://thexem.de/xem/show/1815

Edited by CBers

joshstix

Life

My all time favourite TV show.  Great cast, playing great characters that are super easy to get involved with.

9/10

• Like 1

Breaking bad is my top tv show of all time. There is actually no filler in that series, except for maybe the "Fly" episode, which actually has meaning to the show.

in the final episode I think he actually dies in the frozen car, and everything after that scene is an after thought

Really well written!

Edited by chef
  • Like 2

joshstix

Big thanks to whoever suggested Galavant earlier.  I haven't enjoyed a show for its pure simple fun as much as this in years.

Heckler

Caught the first episode of Backstrom last night... Unsure if I like it or not yet. I am a fan of Raiin Wilson and not from his time in the office, but his other movies and cameos... I didn't watch the US version of the office until last year because I hated the UK one... Can't stand Gervais, how that dull, boring, insipid little cunt ever became some kind of celebrity is beyond me... He's as funny as a fart in a hurricane..

Anyway... Backstrom... Seems to be channelling the 'House' vibe, and Wilson is doing his best to mimic Hugh Laurie (not very well I might add). But it's got potential if they don't dwell on trying to imitate House as much as they seem to.

• Like 1

swhitmore

Life

My all time favourite TV show.  Great cast, playing great characters that are super easy to get involved with.

9/10

Damian Lewis was fantastic in this.

CBers

Can't stand Gervais, how that dull, boring, insipid little cunt ever became some kind of celebrity is beyond me... He's as funny as a fart in a hurricane..

So glad I'm not the only one!

• Like 1

Maleficarum

He is an acquired taste.

Totally agree. It depends on what he's in. I found The Office mostly terible apart from a few moments here and there but Derek was pretty good.

WarrenH

My favourites list, appreciating it's mostly blokes shows, all of which I'll give a decent 8 to 9 /10:

banshee boardwalk empire breaking bad broadchurch californication fargo game of thrones hell on wheels heroes homeland justified marco polo ray donovan rome sons of anarchy spartacus state of affairs the sopranos tyrant vikings

There are plenty more current, and older series I'm still getting around to watching so am sure my list will grow. Undoubtedly, my all time favourites tho must be The Soprano's.

Edited by WarrenH

swhitmore

Totally agree. It depends on what he's in. I found The Office mostly terible apart from a few moments here and there but Derek was pretty good.

Haha, interesting. For me it was the opposite.

Heckler

I never did get around to part 3 of the fave TV shows... until now.

Shows currently airing, recently ended or not got around to watching yet... In reverse order this time because I can't remember how far I got... and as usual, no spoilers.

Vikings - Excellent show, feels more like a mini series with just 9 episodes in S1 and 10 in S2.  Season 3 starts very soon and I'm really looking forward to it.

Walking Dead - I watched S1 and S2 and then kinda lost interest. I have Seasons 3, 4 & 5 in my collection... if I can ever be bothered. It's not the show.. it's the whole zombie genre has become so over rated and over used that I'm sick of the genre entirely.

Utopia - If you've not see this quirky, strange and some what frightening TV series from the UK. Check it out. Sadly the writers called time on it after 2 short seasons of 6 episodes but it is good, very good and keeps you guessing all the way.

Under the Dome - Always been a Stephen King fan... well, I was until the later 90's then I went of horror movies and novels in general. It's not as good as Haven is/was but it's ok. Currently about half way through season 2.

True Detective - I've been told I have to watch this, so it's on the list for when I have some free time.

Supernatural -  I like this show, and every time I think they're about to jump the shark... the pull it back. Some of the middle seasons were a little ropey... was supposed to end at season 5... but they keep on going. Now in season 10... I've only just started watching S10, so no idea if this year is good or bad... or even the last.

Star Wars Rebels - Animated 20 min show in the style of Clone Wars but set between eps 3-4... Watched all broadcast eps so far and it's a little too kid friendly for me so far... Personally I would love to see them make a dark TV show... in the vein of Dexter... and simply called 'Vader' an adult show for fans who grew up with it from the very beginning and charting the stories of how Vader hunted down the last of the Jedi and how there was always that tiny spark of good still in him... Just think how good that could be.

Sons of Anarchy -  I love this show... I've been putting of starting season 7 until it had finished so I could binge watch it. But part of me doesn't want to see it end and so I haven't started it yet.

Sleepy Hollow - Halfway through season 1 and it's OK... a little monster of the weekish with barely a nod to the story arc at times. But that's ok, I remember Farscape and how the entire episode could be glossed over, all I wanted was that 30 second snippet that furthered the John/Aeryn storyline along some more... Farscape wasn't Sci-Fi it was a love story that just happened to be set in space.

WarrenH

True Detective - good actors, reasonably good though basic story, though tediously slow, it predictably all happens in the last 5 minutes of a 10 hour show