Emby TV CLUB

CBers

Heckler

OK, first up ASCENSION.

This is a Sci-Fi mini-series, that was on towards the end of December 2014.

It is set in the 1950's and follows "a covert century-long mission to populate a new world".

I thought it would be interesting to see how they would make a space-flight based on 1950's technology.

My wife and I watched all 3 episodes back-to-back, and it was a good try, but a bit of a let-down from my point of view at the end of episode 1, but the end of episode 3 made up for it.

7/10

Anyway, hopefully more people will join in and let other people know what they're watching currently.

Thanks.

I watched this over the xmas period and thought it was ok... Some good ideas in there and some intriguing plot lines. I kinda felt like they were going to go the whole Tin Peaks route in the beginning, thankfully they didn't and the finale sets up a second season/mini season nicely.

If it became a series, I'd probably watch it.

• Like 1

mediacowboy

Anyone watch the trailer for The Expanse? Looks promising.

That looks really good. I'll have to remember to record it.

Heckler

OK... here's a run down on what I am currently watching. Please note some of I watched simply because I am bored and some because I kinda want to see just how bad it will get.

Also... I am behind on some shows because I came to them late, or I simply haven't had time to catchup (or waited for full season so I could binge watch)... These are shows that are currently airing, or have finished in the last 12-24 months.

Don't worry, there won't be any spoilers... I've not even going to bother with a synopsis of the show.  :P

12 Monkeys - Technically I've not started watching it yet... But I have eps 1-2 to watch over the next few days and it's a show I was waiting to start.

The 100 - Started of as a kind of poor version of Lord of the Flies... But has improved through series1. Currently 3 episodes in to season 2 and it's holding it's own so far.

Almost Human - Great show that was showing lots of promise... before it got cancelled... Another good show gone too soon.

Archer - One of the best shows EVER. If you've not seen it... You are missing out of some of the best TV around.... LITTERALLY.  :)   So far I've watched everything broadcast

Arrow - Started great, stumbled a little in season 2 and season 3 isn't improving on that... Could be about to jump the shark after the mid season cliff hanger... watched everything broadcast so far.

Ascension - Mini Series rather than full show, but interesting enough that I'd watch more if came around.

Atlantis - BBC produced show that's proven to be quite entertaining on a Saturday night.

Black Sails, halfway through season 1 and enjoying it a great deal... and not for the TnA either. Intriguing characters, interesting story arc and so much backstabbing and double crossing that keeps you guessing.

The Blacklist - So far I've watched everything broadcast and it continues to entertain me greatly. So far I've watched everything broadcast

Castle - Still watching this show in season 7... and still being entertained. Mostly because of Nathan Fillion acting like... well, himself.  So far I've watched everything broadcast

Constantine - Really hoping that this one gets picked up for a second season (but kinda resigned myself to that not happening) as it's been getting better and better with each episode.

Continuum - This Canadian made Sci-fi drama/thriller has proven to be quite good. It's had it's moments when the storyline stumbled around and lost it's way... But it got back on track. Waiting to see if there's a season 4/

Deadbeat - Wasn't going to include sitcoms really in this list, but this one proved to be rather good. Only 10 eps in season 1 and I'm hoping they OK season 2.

Defiance - Still not fully sure about this one. It has it's good moments and then some really bad ones and at times the CGI can be really ropey... But will continue to watch if there's a season 3.

Doctor Who - This last season really stumbled in opinion... can't stand Clara as the companion but I really like Capaldi as the Doctor. Was hoping she was leaving as rumoured... but sadly she's staying for another year.

Elementary - A nice take on the whole Sherlock Holmes character. Johnny Lee Miller is excellent in the lead role... and as  a person who cannot stand Lucy Lui, I've actually been able to tolerate her in this because of the excellent supporting cast.

Extant - Weird sci-fi show with Halle Berry. After watching season 1... I still can't decide if it's good, bad or just weird. Will possibly watch if there's a season 2... but only if nothing else on instead I guess.

Falling Skies - After 3 seasons I was starting to wane a little with this one. S1 & 2 were great, S3 grated with me a little and I'm only 4 eps into season 4 and I've not bothered to watch an episode in about 4 weeks or so. Might catch up when nothing else to watch.

The Flash - One of the better shows on at the moment... it's a little camp, it's a little silly and it sure doesn't take itself seriously... But they are tying it in with certain episodes of Arrow which annoys a little. It's good enough to stand alone.

Game of Thrones - Nothing needs to be said about this one... except HODOR!  So far I've watched everything broadcast

Gotham - Before Batman, there was just the GCPD, and Gordon was a lowly detective. It started very slow, but it has been getting better. Almost up to date on this one, just last weeks ep to watch.

Grimm - Currently in season 4 and has proven to be rather good in my opinion. A nice take on the old fairy tales.

Haven - Just about to finish watching this... last episode to go.  Has proven to be rather good although season 5 hasn't been as strong as previous ones.

Intelligence (2014) - To be honest, I've watched about 5-6 episodes and haven't been that impressed... Not sure I'll bother with the rest of season 1... no idea if it's been picked up for season 2.

The Last Ship - Proved to be rather good and I'll certainly be checking it out for season 2.

Justified - About to start season 6 and still as entertaining as ever... Although I'm not sure there's anyone left that Ralan Givens knows, who he can shoot.  :)

OK, that's enough for now... I'll do the other half of the alphabet later.  :)

Edited by Heckler

Heckler

Anyone watch the trailer for The Expanse? Looks promising.

Not available in my country... typical restrictive bollocks.

• Like 2

shaefurr

Continuum - This Canadian made Sci-fi drama/thriller has proven to be quite good. It's had it's moments when the storyline stumbled around and lost it's way... But it got back on track. Waiting to see if there's a season 4/

They announced its coming back for the fourth and final season, which is only 6 episodes. But it airs sometime this year.

• Like 2

Vidman

Gotta add my vote to Archer ...a show that actually gets better with repeat viewings... So many in jokes and references that you pick something new up each time you watch watch it

Edited by Vidman

ginjaninja

OK... here's a run down on what I am currently watching. Please note some of I watched simply because I am bored and some because I kinda want to see just how bad it will get.

Also... I am behind on some shows because I came to them late, or I simply haven't had time to catchup (or waited for full season so I could binge watch)... These are shows that are currently airing, or have finished in the last 12-24 months.

Don't worry, there won't be any spoilers... I've not even going to bother with a synopsis of the show.  :P

12 Monkeys - Technically I've not started watching it yet... But I have eps 1-2 to watch over the next few days and it's a show I was waiting to start.

The 100 - Started of as a kind of poor version of Lord of the Flies... But has improved through series1. Currently 3 episodes in to season 2 and it's holding it's own so far.

Almost Human - Great show that was showing lots of promise... before it got cancelled... Another good show gone too soon.

Archer - One of the best shows EVER. If you've not seen it... You are missing out of some of the best TV around.... LITTERALLY.  :)   So far I've watched everything broadcast

Arrow - Started great, stumbled a little in season 2 and season 3 isn't improving on that... Could be about to jump the shark after the mid season cliff hanger... watched everything broadcast so far.

Ascension - Mini Series rather than full show, but interesting enough that I'd watch more if came around.

Atlantis - BBC produced show that's proven to be quite entertaining on a Saturday night.

Black Sails, halfway through season 1 and enjoying it a great deal... and not for the TnA either. Intriguing characters, interesting story arc and so much backstabbing and double crossing that keeps you guessing.

The Blacklist - So far I've watched everything broadcast and it continues to entertain me greatly. So far I've watched everything broadcast

Castle - Still watching this show in season 7... and still being entertained. Mostly because of Nathan Fillion acting like... well, himself.  So far I've watched everything broadcast

Constantine - Really hoping that this one gets picked up for a second season (but kinda resigned myself to that not happening) as it's been getting better and better with each episode.

Deadbeat - Wasn't going to include sitcoms really in this list, but this one proved to be rather good. Only 10 eps in season 1 and I'm hoping they OK season 2.

Defiance - Still not fully sure about this one. It has it's good moments and then some really bad ones and at times the CGI can be really ropey... But will continue to watch if there's a season 3.

Doctor Who - This last season really stumbled in opinion... can't stand Clara as the companion but I really like Capaldi as the Doctor. Was hoping she was leaving as rumoured... but sadly she's staying for another year.

Elementary - A nice take on the whole Sherlock Holmes character. Johnny Lee Miller is excellent in the lead role... and as  a person who cannot stand Lucy Lui, I've actually been able to tolerate her in this because of the excellent supporting cast.

Extant - Weird sci-fi show with Halle Berry. After watching season 1... I still can't decide if it's good, bad or just weird. Will possibly watch if there's a season 2... but only if nothing else on instead I guess.

Falling Skies - After 3 seasons I was starting to wane a little with this one. S1 & 2 were great, S3 grated with me a little and I'm only 4 eps into season 4 and I've not bothered to watch an episode in about 4 weeks or so. Might catch up when nothing else to watch.

The Flash - One of the better shows on at the moment... it's a little camp, it's a little silly and it sure doesn't take itself seriously... But they are tying it in with certain episodes of Arrow which annoys a little. It's good enough to stand alone.

Game of Thrones - Nothing needs to be said about this one... except HODOR!  So far I've watched everything broadcast

Gotham - Before Batman, there was just the GCPD, and Gordon was a lowly detective. It started very slow, but it has been getting better. Almost up to date on this one, just last weeks ep to watch.

Grimm - Currently in season 4 and has proven to be rather good in my opinion. A nice take on the old fairy tales.

Haven - Just about to finish watching this... last episode to go.  Has proven to be rather good although season 5 hasn't been as strong as previous ones.

Intelligence (2014) - To be honest, I've watched about 5-6 episodes and haven't been that impressed... Not sure I'll bother with the rest of season 1... no idea if it's been picked up for season 2.

The Last Ship - Proved to be rather good and I'll certainly be checking it out for season 2.

Justified - About to start season 6 and still as entertaining as ever... Although I'm not sure there's anyone left that Ralan Givens knows, who he can shoot.  :)

Interesting shows to try there..

I agree Archer is one of the best shows out there, for me top 10 current TV. The characters are so recognisable/funny - no matter how off the wall...it doesnt matter how many times they do and say exactly what they always do...never grows old...

may not have the relevance of South Park, but just as good

"Lana, call Kenny Loggins... 'cuz you're in the Danger Zone"

I put "100" and "The blacklist" in the loveable category of 'pulp'..but 'pulp' done well/with good production values....i look forwarded to them....the "better than you would expect" category...

• Like 1

Heckler

OK... Part 2 of shows I currently kinda watch.. have watched... stopped watching, or am about to start watching.

I think I got up to L... but I seem to have missed a few here and there... So...

The Following - I watched a few episodes and whilst the acting was good... I kinda didn't get drawn into the drama and the baddies/cult side of things was far too long winded and drawn out for me. I do have all of S1 and S2... But i may not bother any further with it.

Haven... already mentioned this, but just discovered that Season 5 is split into 2 parts totalling 26 episodes. Only 13 have aired so far, so there is a final 13 airing in 2015 to bring the show to it's conclusion.

Legends - Sean Bean in a lead role of a TV show... Only watched one episode so far, but it was decent enough, I've just not had time to catch up on any more... Too many shows and not enough time... But I will watch more of this one.

Lost Girl - Another of the supernatural/underworld/monsters genre... but in this one they throw in a bisexual angle... But it honestly feels like they are simply catering to that demographics rather than it being an integral part of the storyline... Oh, so you're character is a succubus who can heal whilst having sex with anyone... Lot's of implied nudity without actually having nudity. Feels like it appeals to the LGBT demo and horny male teenagers.  The plots are predictable and the show has gotten progressively worse... I've not bothered with Season 4 so far and not sure I will unless people I know tell me it's gotten far better... always surprised when I hear it's got another season.  Grimm, Supernatural and Constantine all tackle the genre with far better results.

Mad Men - Is this coming back, seemed to end mid season about a year ago... If it does I'll watch it. It's entertaining in a completely unrealistic portrayal of 50-60's America.

Marvels Agent Carter - Been waiting for this one ever since the Marvel One Shot short... 3 episodes in and so far so good. If you are a fan of the movies and Agents of Shield... it's worth adding to the list.

Marvels Agents of Shield - Proving to be quite good, was rather annoyed at spoilers for the Winter Soldier movie appearing in the TV show. Hope they learn not to do that again... But admirable that they're trying to keep everything tied together for continuity... But they should take note that not every one can see the movie on opening day and doesn't want plot elements for a movie spoiled in that weeks episode.

The Musketeers - Another BBC production... Technically not started watching, but it's on the list to start as soon as a gap in my free time appears.

The newsroom - Brilliant show about well... a newsroom you dummies.  :)  Aaron Sorkin at his best again writing this... Not sure if it's done or not as season 3 was only 6 episodes. Shame if it is, because it's one of the shows I never miss.

Once Upon A Time - A show I've watched on and off as time allowed. It's not one of the best but it does pass the time... although I am getting sick of the latest disney characters being thrown into the show. Hardly watched any of season 4 as a result... Going of this one, in spite of Robert Carlyle's performances.

Penny Dreadful - Couple of episodes in and I keep forgetting about this show, it been pushed back down the list and doesn't appear in the EHS on MBC now... Victorian era supernatural/horror with Timothy Dalton and Eva Green, so far so good.

Sleepy Hollow - About halfway through season 1 and it's not been too bad, a little monster of the weekish but there is an interesting story arc underneath... It's trying to find the time to catch up as they're into season 2 now.

Sherlock - The BBC one with Martin Freeman and that bloke Britishname Complicated... I mean Biggerdick Cumbersnatch... No... Benedict Cumberbatch... One of the best shows around should be back on screen this year.

Looks like I might need to make a part 3... feck me that's a lot of shows I'm trying to watch. No wonder I can't keep up. I sometimes wait for a season to end and then catch up over the summer when most shows have finished until the fall.

ginjaninja

If you want a bit of British comedy/drama/murder-mystery, try DEATH IN PARADISE.

Currently on its 4th season.

Paradise is the Caribbean.

10/10

This must be like how I give foreign films/tv more leeway....not British CBERS? an anglophile?

non offensive... but very formulaic... cross between Columbo and murder she wrote I'd say ....the actors/writers seem to revel in just how cheesy it is...

i prefer my police dramas more gritty "Luther" than Angela Lansbury...

still it keeps the wife quiet..so major +ve...

Macburp

OK, first up ASCENSION.

This is a Sci-Fi mini-series, that was on towards the end of December 2014.

It is set in the 1950's and follows "a covert century-long mission to populate a new world".

I thought it would be interesting to see how they would make a space-flight based on 1950's technology.

My wife and I watched all 3 episodes back-to-back, and it was a good try, but a bit of a let-down from my point of view at the end of episode 1, but the end of episode 3 made up for it.

7/10

Anyway, hopefully more people will join in and let other people know what they're watching currently.

Thanks.

To be honest, I thought this was fairly terrible. Very good idea, let down by poor writing and characterisation. I thought the twist in ep 1 was fairly obvious.

Macburp

Has anyone checked out the latest Amazon pilot season? Several shows looking for votes from viewers, based on those only one will become a series.

The most noteworthy one of these is THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE, an adaptation of the Phillip K Dick novel. I am a sucker for alternative history, but have never got round to reading Dick's book. I have to say this was rather good, I hope it makes it to series - I'd like to see what happens next.

There is also COCKED, a story of a good ol' southern family running a gun business. Not seen this yet.

Check it out - www.amazon.co.uk/pilotseason.

Macburp

I can wholeheartedly recommend OLIVE KITTERIDGE, a four hour miniseries about the relationships of a grumpy woman (can't figure out a better way of putting it). Features Frances McDormand (Fargo) and Richard Jenkins (Six Feet Under).

I binge-watched the whole thing and was thoroughly absorbed all the way through. Not many shows do that for me.

AdrianW

i prefer my police dramas more gritty "Luther" than Angela Lansbury...

British and gritty - have you seen Happy Valley? Excellent 6 part series. Here's another thread mentioning that series and where I first found out about it.

• Like 1

Macburp

There is also COCKED, a story of a good ol' southern family running a gun business. Not seen this yet.

I enjoyed this one too, although I'm not sure there is enough there for a series. Good actors involved (Sam Trammell from True Blood, Jason Lee from My Name is Earl, Laura Fraser, Brian Dennehy), carried the show somewhat - so we'll see. If its a choice between this and TMITHC, I'd choose TMITHC.

swhitmore

@@Heckler you seem to have the same interest in shows as I do. I looove The 100, and my wife actually really enjoys it too. It's nice to have a show we can both sit down to. We have the shows that I like to call 'staples', i.e. they are consistently enjoyable and will always watch the new releases. These include The Mentalist, Elementary, Game of Thrones, Chicago P.D and Fire, Perception, CSI, NCIS, Top Gear, Archer, Agents of SHIELD, Blacklist, Orphan Black, Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, and more.

I was sad to see some shows end recently like The Newsroom. There were also a few shows that I thought could have continued past 1 season, like Fargo, Almost Human, The Tomorrow People, and Last Resort. However I looking forward to the second season of some new shows like The Last Ship, Extant, and Manhattan. If you haven't caught these ones, I suggest you do.

Here is a list of all the new shows I started in the last year or so:

54bf39bebaacf_Untitled.png

Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 1

Heckler

People keep recommending shows to watch... I can't even keep up with the ones I already watch.

Wasn't sure if The Tomorrow People had been given a second season... It was OK, nothing special though and I'd probably have watched it... But I noticed the lead pop up in a couple of episodes of other shows, so I kinda assumed it had been cancelled.

I've only got around 168 shows on my media server... Some of which I may never watch again... there's a load that I've yet to watch at all... Stuff like Bones, Breaking Bad, Weeds, Dominion, True Detective, True Blood, The Americans, Homeland, Luther, Orphan Black,... a few older shows too like Monk and Sliders... which I vaguely remember from the odd episode but never really followed.

I thought there was going to be a new Star Wars TV show starting a few months ago... Rebels, I've seen trailers for it... Animated in the style of Clone Wars... but heard nothing more about it since. Still can't get an answer on when the last episodes of season 6 of clone wars will air. I know they made them, but as far as I know they've never aired.

shaefurr

Ya tomorrow people was officially cancelled before the last episode even aired.

sent from my lumia icon

• Like 1

Heckler

I keep wondering about Breaking Bad.... it's been hyped up so much that I kinda feel like if I watch it... I'll only be disappointed by it.

Same thing with True Blood... but the main thing that stops me watch it so far is the fact I can't stand the lead actress in it. Can't think of her name right now, but played the worst possible version of Rogue in the X-men movies... ever since then she's always come across as a whiny moron every time I see her in anything... Annoys the crap outta me she does.