Windows Phone 8 stops playing after a few seconds.

heksesang

heksesang

I have problems with playing a blu-ray rip of The Prestige on my Windows Phone 8. The streams have only been repackaged and not been re-encoded in any way.

The movie contains the following streams:

Video:vc1 • eng • 1920x1080 • 16:9 • 18816 kbps • 23.97602
Audio:ac3 • eng • 640 kbps • 6 ch • 48000 khz • Default
Subtitle:pgssub • eng • Default
Subtitle:pgssub • dan
Subtitle:pgssub • fin
Subtitle:pgssub • nor
Subtitle:pgssub • swe

What actually happens is that the movie plays for a second or two, then it just stops playing. According to the logs, it seems something is killing ffmpeg.

Media Browser (Server): Version 3.0.5050.37565

Media Browser (App): Version 8.0.0.39

Both log files attached.

ffmpeg-413ba0fb-e53f-4807-9f67-e990584755c5.txt

server-63518952426.log

can you give me a little more of the server log please. I do notice that it is vc1 and it has a very low bitrate for the first 6 seconds or so (which is quite strange). Can you retry with (or post a link to a fuller server log).

Things you can try 

Try trimming off the first 6 seconds of the video (just as a test to see if this is the issue the player may not be getting enough data or there is a bit of a glitch that is making it barf)

can you try running

C:\Users\Gunnar\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ffmpeg\ffmpeg20131011\ffmpeg.exe -ss 5 -i file:"\\STRUTSENETT\sda1\Movies\The Prestige (2006)\The Prestige (2006).mkv" -ss 1 -codec copy "\\STRUTSENETT\sda1\Movies\The Prestige (2006)\The Prestige (2006)-test.mkv"

and attempt playback to the phone of the test mkv.

Thanks

heksesang

The logs there are how they look after cleaning the logs folder and then playing the file. I can try to get a fuller log if I just know what is missing from these ones. Do you need any log information from before I start playing the file?

And I'll try do that trimming tomorrow if I find time for it. It does however look like it's somehow related to VC-1, because all my blu-ray content that is VC-1 fails in a similar way (some do not play anything at all), while the AVC/H.264 content (also ripped from blu-ray) seems to play just fine.

heksesang

I've tried running that command and playing the resulting file. The same thing happens, it plays about 5 seconds into the movie (from the point where it now starts after being cut). I also tried to run the command from the log in command prompt, and ffmpeg says it gets error -1 while decoding stream #0:0, indicating that it does have some issue decoding the VC-1. Could it be that there is a bug in the version of ffmpeg you're using?

I've enabled debug logging and all the logs are attached.

Please tell if there is any more information I can provide. :)

ffmpeg-31c99883-1e08-4d96-92e7-71fc5c5dd487.txt

ffmpeg-b0c173d1-d6e5-4fda-a7af-082ead9ce37a.txt

server-63519275541.log

I will go an buy a vc-1 bd today and see if i can replicate it. What program did you use to make the mkv?

Inception is a VC-1 movie. The first 3 Bourne Identity movies are also VC-1's.

Edited by gcw07
  • Like 1

Thanks Grant

No problem. I'm hoping that type of thing doesn't change from region to region so if you get one of those it would still be the same video type.

heksesang

I will go an buy a vc-1 bd today and see if i can replicate it. What program did you use to make the mkv?

I used MakeMKV. Not sure what version number, but I can see if I can find that in the metadata of the file later if necessary.