FR - MBS Better overview of Users content access

saitoh183

saitoh183

The reason for this request is because i have many users that connect to my mediabrowser from outside. When you create a new account for a user you can set there library access before they access the request. Now what i have noticed is that this is a hit and miss. I invited a guess, gave them only TV and movie access but once the account was created, they had access to all the content of the library. I only figured this out because the user let me know. Now maybe this is a bug or maybe i did something wrong but now i need to go through each user to make sure they dont have access to content they shouldnt.

There is also the fact that when you add a new library item (like i added photo to my MB) every user gets access to it and then you have to go and remove it for each user. I have almost 15 account and having to modify each one, one by one is time consuming.

So i propose that under Library there is a new tab that shows who access to what and allow you to modify access by means of checkbox next to there name. This would give a quick and clear view of who access which resource. This could also apply to the Channels, LiveTv ...Basically every section in the user property. It could even be a redesign of the user section

For example:

Tv Shows:

User 1  X

User 2  X

User 3

Music:

User 1 X

User 2

User 3 X

• Like 2

Starkadius

There is also the fact that when you add a new library item (like i added photo to my MB) every user gets access to it and then you have to go and remove it for each user. I have almost 15 account and having to modify each one, one by one is time consuming.

Do you mean when you add a new media folder to the library? If so I have noticed this as well, by default a newly created media folder (TV/Movies/Music/etc) is added to ALL the users and must be removed manually.

Beardyname

Better overview yes, but not like OP suggested since that will still be a lot of clicks with many libraries (imo), I do agree with adding a new folder to the library should be opt-in instead of opt-out so +1 in the end :)

Better overview yes, but not like OP suggested since that will still be a lot of clicks with many libraries (imo), I do agree with adding a new folder to the library should be opt-in instead of opt-out so +1 in the end :)

Only advanced users would feel that way.  Novice users would wonder why the media folder they just added isn't showing up for anyone.

So, the better answer, is to present a screen much like when a guest user is added that allows you to select which users should see the new media folder right when you create it.  But, until we have that, opt-out is the more reasonable approach.

Starkadius

So, the better answer, is to present a screen much like when a guest user is added that allows you to select which users should see the new media folder right when you create it.  But, until we have that, opt-out is the more reasonable approach.

Yeah that is definitely the best way of doing it (a user select screen).

Koleckai Silvestri

An overview of permissions would be nice. Show it in a table. Users in the Y-Axis and Media Libraries in the X-Axis. If a checkmark exists, then they have access.  Click on the checkmark and poof the permission goes away.

Add in an extra column named "All" click on it for a user and it adds all permissions. Click it again and it removes all permissions.

If too many libraries exist so that it would scroll off the screen use CSS to show the titles vertically instead of horizontally.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

Yes, this would be useful but I would probably list the media libraries vertically with users horizontal just because people are more likely to have more media libraries than users.

Anyway, good suggestion.

Koleckai Silvestri

Permissions for individual users would be easier to read with horizontal rows vs. vertical rows. At least in English.

Starkadius

So i propose that under Library there is a new tab that shows who access to what and allow you to modify access by means of checkbox next to there name. This would give a quick and clear view of who access which resource. This could also apply to the Channels, LiveTv ...Basically every section in the user property. It could even be a redesign of the user section

For example:

Tv Shows:

User 1  X

User 2  X

User 3

Music:

User 1 X

User 2

User 3 X

Something like this maybe? Except in that mock-up just replace sub-check boxes with user names to be relevant. Although if you could manage the media folder permissions as I have in the mock-up that would have been nice as well but sadly it can't be done. :\

saitoh183

Only advanced users would feel that way.  Novice users would wonder why the media folder they just added isn't showing up for anyone.

Yes, this would be useful but I would probably list the media libraries vertically with users horizontal just because people are more likely to have more media libraries than users.

Anyway, good suggestion.

Well what i suggested as a solution was just a quick thought. The important thing is i got the request out there. How it is implemented is another thing.

• Like 1