playing xbmc on roku 3 using kodi addon

ronbubl

Hi,

I'm new in this forum as you can see, and so i'm sorry, but i didn't find an answer to my question. Is it possible to watch xbmc platform on my roku 3 using media server channel, using xbmc add on?

im85288

Hello, no unfortunately not. The Roku platform does not allow Kodi to be installed on it, which is a pre requisite for this addon.

im85288

Do you mean in general or specifically with regards the Roku client? If it is in general you will get a better idea by just trying it yourself and coming to your own conclusion on what suits you best. If it is about the Roku client you will get a better idea by looking through the Roku forum here.

• 2 months later...
Tommyboy660

Ok so I just bought a ROKU 3 thinking I could use it as a client to my KODI / Media Browser Server so that basically. All my media is located on 6tb of a WD MyCloud (videos, music & photos) & possibly use additional storage of 5tb on my desktop windows 7 pc. I already use Media Center Master to scrape all my Metadata for me which places it inside a folder named the same as the movie along with the actual movie (which I hope is the correct format/organization as what im supposed to have to be fully working using Media Browser to its full potential, but that is kind of why I was also using KODI so that just incase the format or organization of my metadata was off just barely that it would then fix it for me so when looking through movies I wouldn't be seeing movie files mixed in with trailers, posters & fanart etc.

So now if this is completely factual & KODI is not compatible with the ROKU 3 therefore I wont be able to use it (atleast for this tv alone for now) what exactly will I be missing out on "by not having use of KODI? Because my WD MYCLOUD is in away a NAS because it has the ability to stay on & serve my media from it without the need for a separate computer, although it apparently isn't quite powerful enough to run as a server on its own being it has only a Dual Core processor, I think under 2gb of ram & unable to load any programs of any kind onto it to run directly from it, so a Media Server would also not be able to run from it other than the one "Twonky" Media Server that came on it & the Itunes Server for music that came on it. But the Twonky only streams out DLNA which is pretty pointless when you've got more than about 30-50 movies cuz thats just alot of txt to have to scramble thru not aiding in anyway on the hand of helping chose what to watch. So what is the best suggestion for me to get and setup that would be able to 1. Run as a low powered Server for my Media for the purposes of downloading from & streaming at most of 3-5 devices at once? Do I need to have KODI at all if I already have all my metadata what are the pros & cons over just having Media Browser. Will Media Browser do the same type of things for me with my videos, music & photos as KODI? & what do you recommend for me to use for my clients for each tv that I want to be able to receive media on from my purposes server. I want to try to stay low in pricing for a server that is capable of KODI & Media Browser that has the ability to use all their potential even if some clients of mine want be able to receive all the potential like the Roku 3. My Computer guy said he could build me a media server dedicated to handle it all for about $700. But I'm hoping to find something alot cheaper than that to do what I'm wanting, so what are my options in the server field & options in the client field starting with lowest price that can still perform?

Galaxy Note 4 - The Apple Eater

• 9 months later...
Sapper7783

Anyone tinkered with Emby and Kodi? Just installed Emby as media client to stream to Roku 3. I imagine they wont be able to interface with each other. But if  Im missing something or someone conjures up some ideas drop the lines. Im down to start conversing about a workaround.