Deleted devices, now none are listed.

BAS

Version 3.0.5482.4

I removed devices from my server on version 4000, and no devices would get re-populated in the list. I see the devices listed in the security area with an api key. I just dont see them repopulating in the devices area of the server, which limits me to not being able to assign users to certain devices. Is there any server file I could delete to get the devices to start filling in again.

Well according to the help guide when a user deletes a device its suppose to reappear the next time the device connects. This isnt happening.

MrWebsmith

So you now have connected clients that are online with your server and can't be seen/controlled?? doesnt sound good at all.. I'd like to restrict my users to devices as well, but i'll need this type of thing squashed prior to being able to do that...

hopefully @@Luke / @@ebr can chime in here and get it sorted for ya

Edited by MrWebsmith

Version 3.0.5490.2

Still no devices. Still no help. Thanks for the concern Smith. All devices connect fine to server, but don't show in the devices list and since they don't show there I'm unable to assign my users to certain devices. I see nothing in the logs that seem to show there is a problem. Must need to be a new user to get a response.

By navigating to this folder C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\data\devices and manually deleting everything in it because I have no way of telling what is what, I was able to get devices filling in on my list again. Don't think that resolves the issue of a user deleting a device from the interface and then it not reappearing again the next time it connects, which is exactly how the help wiki says it works.

I'm not seeing the Roku show up in the device list and I can't seem to remote control any of my external roku users since 4000 which made me believe it was related to this devices issue, i guess not unless its still not working correctly or there is another file related to devices that i need to remove.

Edited by BAS

It appears that the roku display name featured in the roku client 1.78 if set is causing those devices to not be available in the device list. Unfortunately removing the entered display name in the client does not resolve the issue cause then the device name becomes unknown device.

I have 1 Roku with no display name set from the client and its listed under my devices.

Edited by BAS

yea confirmed. it's affecting certain clients. it's fixed in dev. will be in the next release.

Thanks for confirming and fixing.

• Like 1

Were these fixes in beta 3.0.5490.2? Will we need to delete security api for the devices to repopulate or possibly the folders inside of C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\data\devices

That's weird never mind my server said it updated but I don't think the version # changed according to my previous post. I will wait for it to be pushed to beta.

Edited by BAS

• 8 months later...
Douglas_D

It appears I'm having this same issue.  I went through and cleaned up my device list (deleted everything since the prompt said they would repopulate after relogging in from those devices) but none of them are showing up.  I tried going into the install folder and removing the devices within the data\devices\ folder and deleting all APIs from within the server interface.  None of my devices show up now when I look under the "Devices" setting area in the server.  Is there anything else I can try or is this a known issue that needs resolved?  

At the moment I can't use any of my devices as remotes for other systems around the house.

Douglas_D

Luke,

Thanks for the reply.  This was my process:

1) Remove Device.

2) Open browser on device to be re-added and it directs me to the login screen

3) Login

4) Check Devices tab (New device is not shown).

At this point, I went through and removed all APIs as well and repeated steps 1 - 4.  This did not resolve my problem.  I will go through and report a problem if this still doesn't sound like the same issue.

Happy2Play

Even if it is the same issue your logs can possible determine why it is doing it.

revengineer

I found that when I log in using chrome, the device does not show up in the device list. I have seen internet explorer showing up as web client.

web browsers don't show up in the devices configuration area because it's not possible to permanently uniquely identify them. they will show up in active devices though which displays current connections.

• 2 months later...
Douglas_D

web browsers don't show up in the devices configuration area because it's not possible to permanently uniquely identify them. they will show up in active devices though which displays current connections.

Did browsers show up in the device list at some point in the past?  The devices I referred to my original post above were indeed web clients that I had deleted from the list and this would make since why no matter what I tried, they never showed back up.

Would it be possible to include an option in future released to allow browsers to be listed?  What I was doing when I deleted everything was deleting browsers out of my list and adding them one at a time and giving them all aliases to differentiate between each one.  It seemed that each connection from each browser showed up as a unique, repeatable connection.  Maybe that doesn't hold true when Chrome updates to a newer version though... 

yes they might have, but not by design, rather it was just a bug. I'm not planning on changing this due to post #16. Every now and then duplicates will start to appear because there's no way to uniquely identify a browser. Then people will complain about that and I'll just end up pulling it anyway.