View Libraries as they are stored: by Folders

jnr@mb

lunadmin

it is just a folder with subfolders, there is no file in it. Since i moved out all Folders with DVD Files in, it was indexed correctly but soon i give a subfolder with a VIDEO_TS Folder and files in, it makes this error.

• 1 month later...
acnp77

@ Mr Bazinga

MB is a great project- love it and am going to purchase a life-time "emby premiere" any minute now... MB solves many problems in my home media-center. And I also know that it is not an easy task. resp. impossible task to please everyone.

Having said that I must complain about the "folder-view":

In addition to the librarys (which are great) MB needs a plain folder view. menaing displaying and handling items as files- not library entries. Many people have the need for this (including me) and have requested the feature for some time now.

It would be a great improvement in a sense that MB could take on many more usecases as it does today. (Something like the pure "Files" view in Kodi- this has nothing to do with a library, there are also no DB-entries for these items).

2 of my usecases that can not be handled with MB (at least not in an acceptable way) :

- a media folder that contains new (legal) downloads and purchases that yet have to be named/organized.

- classical music collection

and I am sure there are more.

You have never (and yes I did read the whole post) given a straightforward answer to this request. All I hear are things like "mixed-content" or "homevid". But this is obviously not the solution. (In "homevid" no music gets displayed and  "mixed content" gets synced to "emby/kodi-addon" and if the content is not properly org. it gets screwed up big time.) You can see- there are many problems arising from the fact that this feature is not present. I am not interessted in a discussion how to work around my issues. I really would appreciate a "proper" solution- like a plain folder view. As already stated by others this is a really, really basic function I can not unterstand why you would not take this request more seriously. Or at least admit that there is no "file-view" at the present and let us know if you intend to change this or not.

Cheers

Edited by acnp77

• 1 year later...
Clems6

Having the same problem that top-level folders are seen as content. See images below. I would like to be able to have real folder view with metadata for artists, albums and tracks.

Another, corresponding problem is that I don't get a folder view in BubbleUPnP anymore.

I hope both options can be solved?

Cheers,

Joost

In browser:

56f8019a4644c_Embyweb.png

Folder tree is like this:

56f801b400d13_Musicfolders.png

---

Hello everyone,

I know this topics was created in 2016 but right now in 2018 im using emby 3.3.1 and i can't see folders tab view under music... It is not like the post quoted below..

Here is a screenshot

5ac0bdece94a8_Capturedecran20180401a1307

Im still looking for a true folders view.

I activated folder view under library display but it's not a true view of folders.

Please can you tell me if i missed something ? is it normal that I can't see true folders view ?

I would say a big thanks to emby support for the accomplished work :)

Clems

• 1 month later...
abescalamis

Hi, it's resolved for the next release of Emby Server, thanks.

I updated to the newest emby server and there is still no folder view for Music, I also tried and activated the option to to display a folder view for all media and it doesn't work it displays everything as media and not folders.

I don't really need the folder view for all media, I was excited to think that there was going to be a tab for music that could display my music as folders. 

There's no tab inside the music section. What you would do is enable the server option to display the folder view. Why do you feel that doesn't work?

abescalamis

I know that there's no tab in music, but there should be one, anyways, by activating the folder view,its behavior it is the same as if I access it through my regular library.

I know that there's no tab in music, but there should be one, anyways, by activating the folder view,its behavior it is the same as if I access it through my regular library.

In what app? What version of Emby Server are you running?

abescalamis

Synology emby Server version 3.4, tested on Android TV, Android and by web browser

Because when i enable the Folders option, and then i click on my music library, I see folders. I no longer see the music tabs up at the top with Albums, Artists, etc.

abescalamis

For me it does show the tabs when I view the music library, but it doesn't in folder view.

The only way for me to see a library with folder view is to set the content to "mix", but this trick only works with movies not music.

But honestly I don't care about the folder view, I don't use or need it, I was just reporting it.

The only thing that I would use is a folder view for music, but I know that it was taken away from the music tab because it was not working.

Thanks

Edited by abescalamis

• 7 months later...
AhrounRedTalon

There's no tab inside the music section. What you would do is enable the server option to display the folder view. Why do you feel that doesn't work?

Where do you enable this using a browser like Chrome on a laptop? I cannot figure this folder view out. I am very tech savvy and a recent convert from PLEX. I've been able to figure out most everything else using Chrome to manage Emby. The ROKU app doesn't give me any options for folder view.

Perhaps @@Luke could provide a screenshot or two showing the UI navigation for Folder View using Chrome if it's available. I'd take any screenshot using any app from @@Luke at this point.

I am using Emby in a container on unRaid 6.x. The server is headless so I HAVE to use a browser. I alternate between Chrome and Opera.

I really would like Folder view on the six Roku devices on my network.

Edited by AhrounRedTalon

Hi, the upcoming 3.6 will have improved support for folder views. Please try that once available. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
dovedescent7

Hey Luke,  hate to open such an old thread but is this possible now with v4? I'm on 4.1.1 with Xpenology. 

I'm a premium member and I need this feature badly, i'm only using Emby for live tv now but i can live without it  since my IPTV provider has its own epg and recording. And honestly I only still pay for emby in hopes of getting this feature.

The main thing i need, the only thing actually, that i need from Emby, is to learn how to have Emby view my files on my synology as they are stored. 

I dont need movie covers or anything fancy at all! But i really  do need to see the file structure of my shared videos.

If i could figure this out, i'd definitely go lifetime vs mo to mo with my subscription for Emby

Thanks Pal

Hi.  Folder views have been added across the board I believe.  Have you tried it?

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I've just started out with Emby and I'm having this issue with my Music library. I would just like it to show a list of actual folders under the 'Folders' option in the far right, but it keeps changing the titles. I initially tried it as a Music library, then as Mixed Content, but it does this either way. Is there a solution for this that I may have missed?

Thanks. 

Hello,

I've just started out with Emby and I'm having this issue with my Music library. I would just like it to show a list of actual folders under the 'Folders' option in the far right, but it keeps changing the titles. I initially tried it as a Music library, then as Mixed Content, but it does this either way. Is there a solution for this that I may have missed?

Thanks. 

Hi there, what do you mean exactly by "keeps changing the titles" ? Can you please go over an example? Thanks.

Hi there, what do you mean exactly by "keeps changing the titles" ? Can you please go over an example? Thanks.

Sure, here is a screenshot, some of the folder names are not correct, it seems to be attempting to find metadata for the files instead of just listing them. The names it changes to are from songs within that folder.

5d90c7bb875ce_emby_folder.jpg

So those folders correspond to the albums, so you'll see the name of the album. Our Folders view isn't perfect at this stage. We don't keep the original folder names in the database so that's why you see the album titles. It's something that can continue to improve in future updates. thanks.

So those folders correspond to the albums, so you'll see the name of the album. Our Folders view isn't perfect at this stage. We don't keep the original folder names in the database so that's why you see the album titles. It's something that can continue to improve in future updates. thanks.

Ah, I see. One other thing I want to point out is that in the first 10 minutes of creating the library, while it was still scanning for content, it did list the folders correctly, but once it was done scanning it updated with the album names. Thanks for the response, hopefully we can get a better solution for this in future updates.

Hi Luke,

I've been playing around with the different library options, and using the "Home Videos and Photos" library option lists my personal videos perfectly in folder view as they are on my hard drive. So I figured I would try using this library option on my music files, but it still ends up changing to the album names instead of just listing the files. Is there some reason it is ignoring any metadata for video files but not for music files?

Thanks.