View Libraries as they are stored: by Folders

jnr@mb

I would like to have the option to view and play the Libraries as they are stored on the server: by Folders.

It seems that it would be a great feature. I would prefer to use it.

I've made also a similar request for the Android app.

jg2t4.gif

• Like 2

in user preferences you can enable "show a Folder view". then it will add a Folders menu to your user views and you can see that plain structure.

• Like 2

techywarrior

in user preferences you can enable "show a Folder view". then it will add a Folders menu to your user views and you can see that plain structure.

damn it. lol. Second time in the last 5 minutes I was typing a response and you beat me to it :)

• Like 2

Tried it before and it is not working like wanted. I have this:

WVmQdRB.png

And the real library contents are:

WxHx1bS.png

From where it named folders like "Mixed Emotions" and "My Awesome Compilation"? Where's the "Unsorted" folder? What is "Turn Up The Bass 9" doing there? What I need is the naming as it is.

Also, when opening, for instance, Single, I have this screen instead of the folders:

YHT7dwZ.png

This Music library is located on Z:\My Documents\My Music.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I was  excited when I saw this "folder view" option. Until I realised it is not a real folder view. It is Emby's opinion of the folder and not the real folder/file structure as seen in windows explorer. Instead it is displayed as mentioned above....

I get strange anomalies such as this one mentioned too.  Sometime a folder (or sub folder) will not show the contents, Emby decides it is an individual item such as a film or episode, and shows one of the files inside it instead of the folder contents, such as that "turn up the bass 9" above.

Please add a *real* folder view option.

Edited by paule3d
  • Like 1

I'm also requesting this feature, sorely lacking this option.

In particular this applies to music. I have big hierarchy of folders with my music collection. And I can not perceive my collection in the current view in Emby.
Library view from my collection makes such a mess that it is not possible find something.
If I turn off Enhanced presentation for my music collection in View Styles, Then emby generates huge playlists on the root folder, which is very awkward and this freezes my browser.

Just look at this cute 1755 hour playlist:

5644d339d52d3_emby.png

Thanks a lot!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a folder view why not just use a file browser/manager/explorer? ;)

On my server my music is organised by artists/albums and in Various Artists folder I have around 1.5 - 2TB of music. 

We need folder view because sometimes is more easy to browse into a folder then album/artist/song.... do you know how a collection of more then 4TB of music will look like with current configuration/search options?

This is why we need this extra option.

Edited by Florin
  • Like 1

Hi,

I also have a big music library, that took me almost a year to rip.  I mainly have classical and jazz albums.  The thing is with classical music is that it can't be organize with metadata.  It's impossible!!   Some CD use for the artist the composer and some the interpret.  That is why I classified my collection the way I understand it.   It Is near impossible to find a CD from how Emby present the files. 

Of coarse I could use a files browser, and that's what I do at home.  But when I'm out and I want to listen to music it's near impossible to find what I want.  The reason to use Emby for me is mainly for remote access. 

Please consider the Folder view for music.  It is for me essential!!!!

Thank you

zoula

• Like 4

rodnheli

hi!

i'm new to emby and use(d) plex last years... emby is great and developers are doing useful things for community!! (play to media renderer, quick sync, TV integration and much more! )

i agree - folder view for music is missing. please implement it - i have a large library with lots of samplers and browsing through folder is essential!

is there anything planned for the future?

if not, an idea could be to show DLNA service in browser or in mobile app - there we would be able to have folder view?!

thanks for response,

regards,

helmut

• Like 1

Hi,

I agree that a regular folder view for Music and for Video is a feature I really need for me to use Emby. I hope it is possible to implement it. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Joost

• Like 1

The next major server release has added a Folders tab to the music section.

5660af26b3315_M1UW8OXI20G6Z4_M2674ZE8WDZ

Is this just using a straight item query at each level with parent IDs?

• 1 month later...
berrick

OK I have been waiting for this option for years and now you tease showing pictures of a "FOLDERS" option. I don't have this option in music  :angry: !

I'm running 

Emby Version 3.0.5812.0

Any help appreciated  :)

• 2 weeks later...
serv.linx

I just create a account to say that FOLDER feature is the 1st thing that will make me THINK move to emby... MB is not perfect... other server too. But if MB is not even able to offer basic feature like folder... that is part of the system that MB use to come alive... then sorry. 

It is not because MB is free that we have nothing to say. Even windows, linux, mac os etc... are able to show me my files in a structured fashion. Like I put them to find my stuff.

With MB I am lost. MB give gold and diamond... But if I can NOT even find a show... Even MB search feature didn't help so I have to turn it off.

I have over 3-4Tb of TV show series... Anims with n# episode and season...

MB is unable blaaa blaaa blaaa

Mean MB suck at simple thing so still haven't ask for complex thing... like scan 5hrs or more my library... I don't even complaint if he do a good job. BUT it don't!! 

Please if you put FOLDERS option to "music"... don't wait next year to put it in "pictures"... n then another year to have it in "movie trailer'???... and the n,.... then another one to the...

Or just tell us that feature is not possible to implement in emby n will never been.

Sorry If I am a bit harsh lol We are Version 3... N basic feature not working.

Thank you for your handsome work!! emby have potential it is why I post.

Posted on end of January 2016

• Like 1

serv.linx

ooh just before someone say... Use collection to create your Series Album books games... HUMMM see my finger (sorry). We used software for progressssss... no the opposite. I don't need one to help me to wast my time... I achieve it quite successfully by myself!!!   I have all that organised and done already. I don't need a "retarded' stuuff comming int to messup it and tell me lol you have to redo it again... and with "retarded" logic and rules... lol. just give me the FOLDERS feature thank you.

You don't care if you you 10 movies. But when you have over 40,000 to 60,000 item... Ok I don't have that much. Bu I don't have neither 10. just more than 10... And I have issue so i don't say what will happen when i will have more than 10??

Edited by serv.linx

ooh just before someone say... Use collection to create your Series Album books games... HUMMM see my finger (sorry). We used software for progressssss... no the opposite. I don't need one to help me to wast my time... I achieve it quite successfully by myself!!!   I have all that organised and done already. I don't need a "retarded' stuuff comming int to messup it and tell me lol you have to redo it again... and with "retarded" logic and rules... lol. just give me the FOLDERS feature thank you.

You don't care if you you 10 movies. But when you have over 40,000 to 60,000 item... Ok I don't have that much. Bu I don't have neither 10. just more than 10... And I have issue so i don't say what will happen when i will have more than 10??

Hi, and welcome. If you classify your movie library as either mixed content or home videos, then you will just get the generic presentation that you're looking for.

Alternatively, you can keep the movie classification to get your rich metadata, but there are user-specific settings to disable the enhanced presentation and go back to a plain folder view.

The moral of the story: explore, be adventurous, and you might just find what you're looking for :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was  excited when I saw this "folder view" option. Until I realised it is not a real folder view. It is Emby's opinion of the folder and not the real folder/file structure as seen in windows explorer. Instead it is displayed as mentioned above....

I get strange anomalies such as this one mentioned too.  Sometime a folder (or sub folder) will not show the contents, Emby decides it is an individual item such as a film or episode, and shows one of the files inside it instead of the folder contents, such as that "turn up the bass 9" above.

Please add a *real* folder view option.

Couldn't agree with you more, came back here to see if this has been implemented yet. Not quite there yet, wish I had the background to help out 'cause when this happens all the other softwares are out the window, wifey is happy and they can take my money ;-)

Happy2Play

5660af26b3315_M1UW8OXI20G6Z4_M2674ZE8WDZ

This has been added to the current beta 3.0.5876.0.  But it is no different then the previous Folder View. 

Personally for me I would like it back in View Styles to only display folder view for music.

Not quite sure if I'm missing something here or ??

I am on Emby Server Version 3.0.5878.0

I have the "Folders" view enabled and listed on far right of menus at top (in Music section). Here is my folder structure and what shows up:56c2c59ac10a7_Music01.jpg

56c2c5bf848b7_music02.jpg

It appears the server thinks this folder is an artist??  I noticed when I clicked on the Edit button there was a MusicBrainz ID:

56c2c6234229d_music03.jpg

I tried deleting the ID and nothing happened. So there seems no way of navigating into a directory 2 levels down? Anyone have any ideas? If a log would help let me know. This is using the web client btw.

Edited by jbsatc