IOS Client Movie Limitation

moviefan
Go to solution Solved by moviefan,

moviefan

I just went back to checking out the IOS client tonight now that all of my movies have been added into my collection.

It seems that I have exceeded some sort of limit of how many items the client can handle because now when I click on Movies the circle spins for a little while and eventually goes away and leaves a blank black screen that never gets drawn in.

If I put my finger on the screen and swipe down the search bar appears, but that's all I can get to work in the Movies section.  TV works fine so it really just is probably an issue with the amount of movies I have.

moviefan

How many movies do you have? I have just over 1000 and not having this problem with the app.

Probably a little bit over 2000

darwindeeds

Probably a little bit over 2000

Interesting. I know one of our testers have ~1500 items. Unfortunately, I have limited titles for testing. I will look into the timeout on the movies.

sfnetwork

I deleted the collections with mixed content temporarily for testing and am down to 1862 movies.

Also now it seems that the Collection folders aren't working either now for the bigger collections.

I have a TV series collection with 54 items and that one displays fine.  But if I go back and click on my Movie Documentaries folder which also has 54 items, I just get black screen.

Anything I can do to help debug on the client side?

It could be one that creates this issue.

Don't think it's a limit since your doc movies has the same issue from what you mentioned...

First thing, other clients are OK with that (Web, etc...)? (sorry if you already mentioned it, didn't see it)

moviefan

Actually MB shows I have 1928 movies at the moment so a bit under 2000.

Still working on reworking some directories since new MB doesnt like mixed collection folders at all.

sfnetwork

I could test this if you need me to Shiv...

I would add all my same paths a second time using map drives instead of UNC (that should end up to around 3000 movies)

Let me know.

sfnetwork

What is you iOS device BTW?

As a reference, on my iPhone 5, it takes 8 sec to load 1700 movies (WLAN).

Edited by sfnetwork

moviefan

I deleted the collections with mixed content temporarily for testing and am down to 1862 movies.

Also now it seems that the Collection folders aren't working either now for the bigger collections.

I have a TV series collection with 54 items and that one displays fine.  But if I go back and click on my Movie Documentaries folder which also has 54 items, I just get black screen.

Anything I can do to help debug on the client side?

• Solution
moviefan

FYi, I was using iPhone 5.  I think I have resolved most of the issues with it not displaying now.  A couple of the collections it didn't seem to like and once I removed those it was fine.

Now it shows 1700+ movies fine.

If only we could fix the turning off when screen goes dark and using airplay now and get the timeline to work well everything would be great!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
jscoys

Ok... would like to pop up this topic because I have the same problem. List of 2400 movies, and nothing appear, even if I reach my server from outside or directly connected at home...

I have some boxset in my list, but everything is correct, my collection.xml are very well structured, and I can't believe it's not working due to 30 boxsets of total 2400 items...

Any idea?

darwindeeds

Yes absolutely in the web client, from a pc or mac, it works perfectly. It's only for the Iphone app part.

Unfortunately, I don't have a collection that large to test. 

moviefan

I recommend trying to break out your collection and then adding back in slowly.  This will allow you to determine if there are specific titles or folders that are causing this issue.

• 3 weeks later...
jscoys

Hello guys! Happy new year!

Seems that it is working! if I perform these steps it works perfectly :

1) Click on my collection, list starts to load and after 40-50 seconds it stops to load

2) Click again on my collection and titles after approximately 15 seconds, all is displayed perfectly

Maybe in a second time the buffer is useful to help loading all titles, and in the first step all titles are not fully loaded due to a time out too short???

darwindeeds

It could be timeout that is causing the issue. I'm working on an update that does caching of your media list, I think that should help you.