Seeing someone else's server when I use Web Connect

brossow

brossow

I'm a new Media Browser user, and I seem to have successfully installed the server (v3.0.5482.1) on my Mac Pro running OS X 10.10.1.  The installation itself seems fine, but when I use Web Connect to connect to the server remotely, be it through one of our Rokus (using the PIN to connect) or through the web interface, I'm presented not with my server but someone else's -- and it's random whose I see.  Sometimes it's a local address that, of course, I can't connect to, but sometimes it's a server accessible from the Internet and I've actually been able to access the other users' content (not that I wanted to -- I was just curious how far it would let me go, and I'll tell ya, there's some weird stuff out there). If I login via the web browser and then refresh the http://app.mediabrowser.tv/selectserver.html page, it shows a new server every few minutes (or more frequently), sometimes with a fairly generic name but sometimes with the other user's full name (that is, the name of their computer includes their full name per Apple's default naming scheme). Yikes.

If I skip the Web Connect on my Rokus, I can access my own server just fine from my local network, but I cannot access it from another network unless I map the port in my router and point to my home IP address.  Not only is this inconvenient for me, but far more importantly it seems like a security risk and/or breach of privacy for the other users. Even if somehow I'm doing something wrong, this shouldn't be possible.

Anyone else seeing this? As a brand-new user, I'm not sure if this issue is limited to the Mac server or is a Media Browser issue in general. I did at least a brief search and couldn't find other similar reports, but it could just be the search terms I used.

Thanks,

Brent

Edited by brossow

I think there is an issue on Linux systems that can cause this. The new release should fix it.

brossow

I think there is an issue on Linux systems that can cause this. The new release should fix it.

The more I think about it, the more I believe it can't possibly be a server issue. I just shut my MB server down completely, logged in from a different network via the MB website, and I'm again presented with someone else's server, even though my server is completely out of the picture. Perhaps this should be moved out of the Mac forum and into a different security-related forum?

The more I think about it, the more I believe it can't possibly be a server issue. I just shut my MB server down completely, logged in from a different network via the MB website, and I'm again presented with someone else's server, even though my server is completely out of the picture. Perhaps this should be moved out of the Mac forum and into a different security-related forum?

No, I'm pretty sure It is exactly what I think it is.

brossow

No, I'm pretty sure It is exactly what I think it is.

Okay, I'll take your word for it and wait for an update. I'm surprised to hear it's a server issue given the situation (i.e. my server being completely offline and on another network) but with less than 24 hours' experience with MB, I'll just be patient and in the meantime hope that with the server shut down my own information isn't being exposed to others. Thanks for the quick replies! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a new Macbook Pro and I am also experiencing this problem with Media Browser connect.  I had this problem originally, then it went away with a server update and now I am seeing this again. I am seeing two server options. I always see my former server Bryan-PC (not active) as an option, I also see an different server (usually someone's mac server) as the 2nd option instead of my own Mac book server. This random server seems to change every day.

54c415212cc0e_IMG_1085.png

My current server is Version 3.0.5490.2 on OS X. This happens when I try connect on my Macbook and ipad mini.

Here is my log file https://www.dropbox.com/s/as4c8nt1pvdiir5/log%20file.rtf?dl=0

Does this have anything to do with the fact that my PC server is still associated even though I'm not using it anymore?

if you shutdown the server, find the program data folder, go into the /data subfolder, and delete the connect.txt and device.txt files, this shouldn't happen again. (or just uninstall completely and install fresh). it will wipe out existing connect data though so you'll have to re-do it. then login to app.mediabrowser.tv, you might still have a straggler in there, just remove it and it shouldn't come back.

Thanks for the quick response Luke. When I looked for the folder containing the connect and device txt files on my old PC I was able to find it fairly easily. But when I looked for the equivalent files for my current server on my Mac I couldn't find them anywhere. Anyone have any idea what path they would be under? I also tried uninstalling from my mac and reinstalling but it doesn't seem to be a complete uninstall since all my settings come right back with the first startup.  I also tried deleting the individual servers from the server selection page for a particular user, but when I re-invite that person to connect, they get an email like below.

Hello, 

This account has been requested to link to the server access.ekrad.org. Please confirm this action by clicking the link below:

I Can Confirm This Link

Thanks,
The Media Browser Team 

So right from the beginning the invitation is to someone else's random server since it should be linking to Bryan's Macbook Pro. Not sure if that information is helpful or not. Here is a log file from right after I invite a user to connect, and I get an invite to a server named "OtherMini".  https://www.dropbox.com/s/5qpgctowtr7ukjc/log%20file%202.rtf?dl=0

When I confirmed that link, the server that showed up under server selections was David's Imac. Very confusing.

Edited by geno27

if you shutdown the server, find the program data folder, go into the /data subfolder, and delete the connect.txt and device.txt files, this shouldn't happen again. (or just uninstall completely and install fresh). it will wipe out existing connect data though so you'll have to re-do it. then login to app.mediabrowser.tv, you might still have a straggler in there, just remove it and it shouldn't come back.

Tried this and no luck. (I had previously completely uninstalled and started fresh before posting originally.) Just now deleted the two files you suggested and when I reconnect, I'm seeing a server called (this time) "Mac Tardis," which definitely isn't mine. After I delete that, I get the "No servers are available to connect to..." message. Pretty frustrating – MB is completely unusable for me because of this, since I use my Rokus rather than having my Mac connected directly to the TV.

Edited by brossow

then i would uninstall and try a fresh install, using the version from the website. 3.0.5490.2. we resolved this in the last release but unfortunately it does require a fresh installation if you were affected.

• Like 1

What a pain, but this seems to be working after completely deleting everything and installing the latest version (which, FWIW, wasn't showing as an update in the previous version of the server -- I didn't know there was an update, since the update from within the server said it was the latest). Now to rebuild everything....

Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

I found the files under config and deleted them. Re-linked the users, cleaned up the stragglers and everything is working well now. Hopefully it stays this time. Thanks for the help Luke!