Chromecast - Unable to Find

jsil

Problem:

Using the Media Browser Android client app:

1. Sometimes the Chromecast cast icon simply doesn't display at all (this is currently the case for me)
  2. When the Chromecast cast icon does display neither of my Chromecast devices appear, instead it shows the following as the only device: "Chrome 39.0.2171.95" which I think is refering to my Chrome browser who's version is almost the same, it ends in .93 instead of .95 according to App Info - I don't have any detail as to what makes it appear when it does.

My configuration:

• Media Browser version: 2.1.38
  • Chromecast App version 1.9.7
  • Chromecast firmware version 22062
  • Android version: 4.4.2
  • Google Play services version 6.5.99 (1642632-038)
  • Phone: HTC One (M7)

Details:

Currently the Chromecast (CC) icon is not displaying so I'll go by memory as to what happens when it does display.  I get to the CC icon by going to Live TV, for example I'll go to my recordings and press the Chromecast cast icon.  At that point there is an option but I forget what it says but it's neither of my 2 Chromecasts and if I remember correctly, when I select it and press the play button to play one of my recordings, nothing happens (literally), it's as though I didn't press the play button at all.

Other related information:

• YouTube's Android client app has the cast icon and I can see my Chromecasts and cast to them with no problem
    • Maybe it works better because Google owns YouTube and can test YouTube before releasing any updates to Chromecast firmware and dependencies
  • NetFlix (version 3.9.1 build 4105)
    • Their Android app, like Media Browser, doesn't display the Chromecast icon at all
    • Their iOS app sees my Chromecasts and cast to them with no problem (iPhone 4s & 6 Plus)
    • After messaging with NetFlix they had a tech support rep call me and wasn't able to resolve but I gave them the same configuration info as above and they said they'd use that information to help resolve it - I have not ID to reflect the call, they just said it would start working when they fixed it...

Based on the above and the research I've done I can only make guesses but I'm thinking it's related to the Google Play services (6.5.99 1642632-038) and Chromecast firmware (22062) version as related to the 3rd party client (Media Browser, NetFlix), i.e. Google made changes in these 2 products and made sure their YouTube app worked with these changes but somethign didn't convey to 3rd party client developers (Media Browser, NetFlix).

My hope is that this information will help those working on the clients I'm using be aware of the issue and help reproduce it in order to solve it.

Please let me know if there's any more information I can provide.

Any help/insight would be appreciated.

-------------------

1/12 - UPDATE

- The cast icon now shows up on my Android phone but it still doesn't find my Chromecasts, it only shows "This device" and "XboxOne" (which I do have) for options

- In the Android MB app the Chromecast cast icon is now displaying for me but neither of my Chromecast devices appears, instead it shows the following as the only device: "Chrome 39.0.2171.95" which I think is refering to my Chrome browser who's version is almost the same, it ends in .93 instead of .95 according to App Info - I don't have any detail as to what makes it appear when it does.

Edited by jsil

My sister just bought a Chromecast this Christmas so I could share my MediaBrowser library with her. It worked great the day she got it. Apparently, it updated itself overnight and she was never able to use it again. There's a problem with the latest update that came out at the beginning of November and Google still hasn't fixed it yet. My sister is planning on taking her Chromecast back to Best Buy and trading it in for a Roku.

Check out this article: http://www.myce.com/news/chromecast-update-22062-renders-device-useless-for-many-74030/

Interesting read, thanks for sharing.

I'm encouraged to hear that people have actually successfully used Chromecast with Media Browser, I look forward when I can say the same.

Yeah, I think the chromecast firmware (22062) probably has something to do with the problem but the version of Google Play Services must also have something to do with it given how well iOS devices work so well with the the same chromecast firmware (22062), at least NetFlix (see my original post).  Pretty ironic, maybe they should call it the iCast :)

JeremyFr79

I purchased 2 Chromecast's on Black Friday, haven't had any issues with them.  Well 1 issue with stuttering playback but it was a server side issue with transcoding.  Other than that they've both been working great.

CBers

I use MB3 Android app to play videos to my (2) Chromecasts most days without issue.

I would suggest that you do a factory reset on the Chromecast using the Chromecast app and set it up again.

It's possible that the CC is faulty.

If you read the article and checked out the links to the Google pages, you'd see that it only affects certain brands of TVs (LG, Samsung, Sony, and Philips). My sister has a Philips and she doesn't have any other TVs to test it out. I'm guessing either of you don't have one of these brand TV?

CBers

I have my CCs plugged into a Samsung TV and a Panasonic TV.

Both Chromecasts are running 22062.

Edited by CBers

JeremyFr79

If you read the article and checked out the links to the Google pages, you'd see that it only affects certain brands of TVs (LG, Samsung, Sony, and Philips). My sister has a Philips and she doesn't have any other TVs to test it out. I'm guessing either of you don't have one of these brand TV?

Panasonic and Toshiba here.

Maybe it's not affecting all Samsung models.

Either way, I'm not trying to start an argument or anything. I read quite a few posts from the Google Groups web site and most people said the problems started after the 22062 update. I don't know what else to tell my sister and she said she tried everything.

I use MB3 Android app to play videos to my (2) Chromecasts most days without issue.

I would suggest that you do a factory reset on the Chromecast using the Chromecast app and set it up again.

It's possible that the CC is faulty.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Prior to my original post I both rebooted the Chromecast and reset it to factory defaults using both the Chromecast app and by holding down the button on the Chromecast for about 30 seconds and that didn't make any difference.

Also note that my original post states that I can successfully cast YouTube from my Android device and that both YouTube and NetFlix successfully cast from both of my iPhones (4s & 6+) so for the most part I think that rules out a faulty Chromecast. Also note that I have the described problem with both Chromecasts.

Can you elaborate on what kind of issues you have casting MB on the days you do have a problem (you say you can cast "...most days without issue")?

CBers

Can you elaborate on what kind of issues you have casting MB on the days you do have a problem (you say you can cast "...most days without issue")?

I mean, I can't most days.

I don't have issues.

Has she tried it on someone else's TV?

Based on my configuration I think the TV can be ruled out as the source of problem I'm experiencing as I can successfully cast YouTube from my Android device and that both YouTube and NetFlix successfully cast from both of my iPhones (4s & 6+)

It's both encouraging and a bit frustrating to hear some are having no problems casting from MB.

For those who are successfully casting MB to your Chromecast, I think it would be helpful if you were to post the same configuration properties as I provided in my original post in order to point out the differences (if any) of what is working and what isn't.

Please note, my experience is that YouTube successfully casts to both of my Chromecasts, it's just MB and NetFlix that I have the described problem with using my Android phone.  Remember also that NetFlix casts properly via either the iPhone 4s or 6+ devices that I have (as far as I know MB doesn't support casting from an iOS device).

Given my ability to cast YouTube via my configuration, I ruled out and didn't include my router/AP configuration.

there isn't really any configured required for CC. have you tried using chrome with the web client for comparison's sake?

there isn't really any configured required for CC. have you tried using chrome with the web client for comparison's sake?

Are you asking if I've tried using a PC running Chrome with the Google Cast extension?  If so, yes, I can see both of my Chromecasts and can cast to them with no problems just casting any random page or YouTube.  It's notable that I can see and specify to cast to my Chromecasts in the MB web client, but when I choose a Chromecast and play a video my TV just shows "Ready to Cast.  Choose some media in Media Browser and play it here." even though the video is playing in the browser.  Again casting a web page or even a YouTube video casts with no problem.

Note that although there may not be a specific group of configuration properties that are required, knowing what ones work and don't work can be helpful debugging information, i.e. if someone uses the same configuration properties as I've specified in my post will they have the same problem as I'm experiencing?  If so, compare the configuration properties that are working and substitute out one configuration property at a time until the problem can be duplicated.

CBers

My configuration is the same as your's, apart from my phone (Nexus 5), which runs Android 5,but I never had issues on 4.4.4 either.

Are you saying that you can't get playback to work on your Chromecast when you use the web client either?

My configuration is the same as your's, apart from my phone (Nexus 5), which runs Android 5,but I never had issues on 4.4.4 either.

Are you saying that you can't get playback to work on your Chromecast when you use the web client either?

Hi CBers, thanks for your reply.

When using the MB web client, there is communication to the CC but only in the form of what I'd call a splash screen on my TV that states "Ready to Cast.  Choose some media in Media Browser and play it here.", even when I'm playing a video in the web client all that I see on the TV is the splash screen.

I have never had a problem casting to either of my Chromecasts as long as what I'm casting is YouTube whether it be from the a PC using Chrome or the YouTube Android app.

JeremyFr79

I have 2 CC's 1 is on an old (7-8 years at least) Toshiba LCD TV, the other is on a fairly new Panasonic Plasma.  as for casting "controllers" (because that's all they actually are) I am using a Samsung Galaxy S4, S5, and a 1st gen Samsung Note Tab 10.1.  

My recomendation would be for those having issues check your bitrate settings in app for Chromecast.  Try adjusting them lower (below 12Mbps)  I have seen some have issues with CC's with anything above 12mbps casting media.  The Chrome plugin is limited to 720p at 10Mbps fixed (there is a beta version that allows 1080p)  Technically speaking CC's are limited to 720p decoding (currently)  I had issues with mine when casting whether it was phone/laptop etc with studdering/long pauses on some movies (typically only those with original video bitrates above 10Mbps and also with HD audio i.e. DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD)  anything that didn't have those 2 things played fine no matter the bitrate I set in the app.  

I made 2 changes in my setup, I went into MBS under playback and switched from "auto" to "high" and then went into the app and limited bandwidth to 6Mbps for CC's.  I have not had an issue since with any of my media.  6Mbps yields a perfectly fine picture even on larger screens during transcoding, I'm sure I could inch it higher but I'm not seeing "enough" quality loss at 6 to push it further.

Edited by JeremyFr79

So

I have 2 CC's 1 is on an old (7-8 years at least) Toshiba LCD TV, the other is on a fairly new Panasonic Plasma.  as for casting "controllers" (because that's all they actually are) I am using a Samsung Galaxy S4, S5, and a 1st gen Samsung Note Tab 10.1.  

My recomendation would be for those having issues check your bitrate settings in app for Chromecast.  Try adjusting them lower (below 12Mbps)  I have seen some have issues with CC's with anything above 12mbps casting media.  The Chrome plugin is limited to 720p at 10Mbps fixed (there is a beta version that allows 1080p)  Technically speaking CC's are limited to 720p decoding (currently)  I had issues with mine when casting whether it was phone/laptop etc with studdering/long pauses on some movies (typically only those with original video bitrates above 10Mbps and also with HD audio i.e. DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD)  anything that didn't have those 2 things played fine no matter the bitrate I set in the app.  

I made 2 changes in my setup, I went into MBS under playback and switched from "auto" to "high" and then went into the app and limited bandwidth to 6Mbps for CC's.  I have not had an issue since with any of my media.  6Mbps yields a perfectly fine picture even on larger screens during transcoding, I'm sure I could inch it higher but I'm not seeing "enough" quality loss at 6 to push it further.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.  Your recommendation sounds like it might be more useful for those who can actually access their Chromecast from their device, i.e. those who use a device where the Chromecast icon appears and they can see their Chromecast when the press the icon and cast to it.  Unfortunately my issue is that my described configuration either doesn't display the Chromecast icon or when it does, my Chromecast isn't an option to select to cast to.

I thought I'd pass along some success I've had but not with the configuration I described in this thread.

From the configuration I described, I replaced the HTC One (M7) phone running Android version 4.4.2, with an old Nexus 7 (2012) running Android version 5.0 and I had no problems seeing and casting live TV from MB or Netflix to my Chromecast.  I then upgraded it to Android version 5.0.2 and it still works with no problem.

It's hard to definitively conclude the problem given there are 6 variables in my configuration.

I did find this in a quick search but no solution as in my case but it's a recent 11/14 post so they may have a similar configuration as I:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/chromecast/T2B8VXAk_JI/fmZAY1xp5YwJ

Questions:

• Does anyone in this forum have an HTC One (M7) phone running Android version 4.4.2 (preferably also running the same Chromecast firmware and Google Play Services version) to see if they have the same problem?
  • Could/should there be a "Reported Compatibility" topic in this forum that we could add this to?  Sorry if there's already one and I didn't notice it.

AmericanCrisis

I am having problems as well.  Cannot get the Chromecast to appear while using my Samsung S5's Google Chrome browser.  The Chromecast does appear, and works great at full 21Mbps bitrate, with the Android App (same phone).  I would prefer to use the Google Chrome browser, however, due to the remote control functionality.  Frustrating that I cannot even get the Chromecast to appear.  Like I said, the Android App works fine (so does Netflix, YouTube, etc.) only have problems with the mobile web browser (Chrome and the default browser that came with S5).