Chromecast Stuttering Badly

thefranklin

thefranklin

Chromecast is not working for me when casting from an android app.  I have tried a samsung S4 and nexus 4 and they both do the same thing.  The video is a slideshow with 2-10 second gaps.  The audio also skips.  I have tried messing with settings, but nothing seemed to help.

Plex works just fine when casting from the same phones.  Casting from a laptop works just fine, too.

I have attached the Android log.  I will edit this with server logs too, on different pc.

I have searched and found that "HLS" was a problem in the past for chromecast.  I couldn't find it in the android app.

Can anyone help?  It is annoying that Plex works out of the box with the chromecast on the same hardware.

Thanks,

Android-log.txt

transcode-f23dee71-e485-48f6-99e8-737cf824b461.txt

server-63556158842.txt

Edited by thefranklin

Tranquil

Maybe the WLAN connection from your chrome stick is worse? Try reducing the bitrate and try again.

thefranklin

Plex and webcast of MB work fine. It is only MB from an android app. I reduced the bitrate down to 450 and got horrible blocky yet still hanged and stuttered. I also tried turning on external player, but got a black screen.

Tranquil

If Webplay is fine for you it must be an issue with the connectivity of ChromeCast, I suggest.

By streaming the media to your chromecast dongle the connection is made directly between ChromeCase and MBS. The MBA just initializes this connection and monitors the status of the playstate from the server, nothing more.

Is there other traffic in your WLAN during streaming? Have you tried to switch to another channel? Most 2.4GHz Bands are full of other WLAN AccessPoints if you are living in a city.

There is a fine App which helps you, it's calles WiFi Analyzer. It shows you traffic, signal strength and other networks that might collide with yours.

JeremyFr79

I had similar issues, my resolution was to set playback/transcoding settings to high on the server and set bit rate to 6mbps in the android app for chromecast streaming settings.  I will say the only time I had issues with stuttering before making these changes was with source files with bitrates above 10mbps for video and HD audio (i.e. TrueHD or DTS-MA)  For whatever reason it seems the "auto" setting in transcoding settings on the server just can't keep up with bigger source files even if you have the cpu resources to do so.

CBers

What uoliad/download speeds do you have, as the MB3 Chromecast app receiver is hosted on the Internet, so your server needs to talk to it.

The CC BitRate in my Android app is set to 10 Mb/s.

JeremyFr79

What uoliad/download speeds do you have, as the MB3 Chromecast app receiver is hosted on the Internet, so your server needs to talk to it.

The CC BitRate in my Android app is set to 10 Mb/s.

This is all local network, so 2Gbps bonded connection from the server feeding into the main network which then feeds 1Gbps to an enterprise grade Wireless N AP to the CC's.  My external connection which doesn't play into my scenario is 150Mbps Down 35Mbps Up.

Edited by JeremyFr79

JeremyFr79

Mind you I can get perfectly fine playback transcoding at up to 21mbps with the majority of my files, BUT for some reason FFMPEG seems to have issue transcoding high bit rate files with high bitrate audio, and I don't know enough to dive into it to figure out why.  I just know that the basic changes I made to settings corrected the issue.