intel Compute Stick

swhitmore

Koleckai Silvestri

It is a tablet in a stick and uses your HDMI display as its display. If Windows RT can run the MediaBrowser App on your average tablet, this should be able to do so.

techywarrior

Windows version has 2gb ram and 32gb eMMC. Linux version is 1gb and 8gb eMMC. Both have a quad core Bay Trail CPU so I don't see why it wouldn't be able to handle MBT or the Win8 MB app fine.

Drawbacks are that you need external power (I guess it draws too much to be powered via HDMI) but it's a lot more capable then FireTV or Android TV stick. Of course the controller is not as convenient (having to use BT kb/mouse)

shaefurr

Looks interesting, wonder how / if it will work with windows 10 when that rolls out.

Also pretty excited about USB 3.1 and the new reversible connector, always hated trying to plug USB crap into the back of a PC and having it backwards.

techywarrior

I don't see why Win 10 would be any problem. Obviously there is nothing official yet but MS hasn't even raised the requirements for the Win 10 preview builds so I doubt the builds without all the debug code in it will have higher requirements.

They have also said in the past that the goal is for all Win 8 machines to be able to upgrade to Win 10 (although I think they were talking more about the RT devices). 2gb ram and a quad core atom I would think will have no problem.

And yes, USB 3.1 and the type C connector is very welcome. Will be a while before it's ubiquitous though.

• Like 1

gthrift

The article also mentions a core m model being a possibility. The atom shouldn't have any issues with MBT or the app but the core m would allow some gaming.

I'd much rather have one of these versus an android stick or box any day.

The Intel site says something about embedded so hopefully there's an upgrade path to 10 if that's the case...

The mobile phone space might heat up a bit with w10... Full os on your phone looks a distinct possibility will ms do it tho???

• Like 1

techywarrior

WP10 won't be a full desktop OS. It will share more code base but it will still get stripped down to keep the footprint manageable. You don't need legacy peripheral support etc. in a phone.

It does sound like it is going to align closer to Win10 RT though but I wouldn't have the expectation that you are going to get a full desktop OS on your phone later this year.

WP10 won't be a full desktop OS. It will share more code base but it will still get stripped down to keep the footprint manageable. You don't need legacy peripheral support etc. in a phone.

It does sound like it is going to align closer to Win10 RT though but I wouldn't have the expectation that you are going to get a full desktop OS on your phone later this year.

I'm not so sure, http://www.linx-tablets.com/index.html#page-top  I've got one of these little things (and it run MBT) and in IMO it could go smaller (like the Compute Stick), put a 5" Screen on there and there you go, Full Windows 8 phone (or W10 when it comes).

I just think people won't use them to the full potential plus using Windows in it's native Desktop mode is a pain in the arse on a small screen, you can't minimise/full screen/close apps because the buttons are so god damn small, hence there flirtation with the Modern Interface, swipe down to close etc.... bring that to the Desktop apps and it will be perfect for such small screen.  

Microsoft have a steep hill to climb to get on a level par with iOS and Android, if they can bring Full OS to phones then Apple and Google will start loosing ground.

Edited by GiGo

techywarrior

Yes, it may be possible but I don't see MS, or anyone doing it.

The desktop is unusable on a small device so you have the start screen like win8. Ok, turn that vertical and you basically have what WP8 has now. Drop the desktop completely because you can't use it on a small screen. Remove all drivers that aren't needed for a phone, remove legacy device support and legacy software support... well, you have a pretty different SKU now and basically what WP8/10 is/will be.

One thing that isn't in WP8 that I think could make it into WP10 (or more like it not removed) is split screen multitasking. As more and more people buy larger phones (god only knows why) they may decide to offer 2 program multitasking. There are lots of problems with it and I don't know if they will or not, but I can see them trying.

Major problem I can see is of course each app currently assumes it has full resources available to it. If you now share resources it could make both apps too slow. Perhaps they solve that problem with new API flags that you can set to tell the OS if your app is "split screen compatible" but even then with the wide variety of hardware the OS runs on it wouldn't always work well.

One thing that isn't in WP8 that I think could make it into WP10 (or more like it not removed) is split screen multitasking. As more and more people buy larger phones (god only knows why) they may decide to offer 2 program multitasking. There are lots of problems with it and I don't know if they will or not, but I can see them trying.

This is one thing I love about W8, infact I've got MBT and Appy geek running on split screen on the Linx7 ;)

Split screen is awesome, if they could do that with virtual desktops....  now were digressing a bit :lol: 

• 2 months later...
jhevener

Newegg has the linux model listed for $109.99 USD plus $7.99 USD shipping supposedly available 0n April 24 with pre-order. Only problem is that the pre-order option isn't working. I'm thinking I'll get this one and install Windows 10 Tech Preview on it and wait for the free release this summer.

Edited by jhevener

MSattler

Newegg has the linux model listed for $109.99 USD plus $7.99 USD shipping supposedly available 0n April 24 with pre-order. Only problem is that the pre-order option isn't working. I'm thinking I'll get this one and install Windows 10 Tech Preview on it and wait for the free release this summer.

Buy the Windows version, put Linux on it, load XBMC with the EmbySync connector, and call it a day =)

jhevener

Buy the Windows version, put Linux on it, load XBMC with the EmbySync connector, and call it a day =)

Unfortunately that one is 149.99 and on pre-order as well. Why on Earth would I buy the Windows model for more money just to trash it and install linux when I could buy the linux model pre-loaded for $$40 less? The linux version has the same hardware and RAM. I might go KODI but I'm liking Windows 10 pretty well. I run KODI now with the plugin on one of my PCs and it does OK. Lots of good development going on there.

Edited by jhevener

MSattler

Unfortunately that one is 149.99 and on pre-order as well. Why on Earth would I buy the Windows model for more money just to trash it and install linux when I could buy the linux model pre-loaded for $$40 less? The linux version has the same hardware and RAM. I might go KODI but I'm liking Windows 10 pretty well. I run KODI now with the plugin on one of my PCs and it does OK. Lots of good development going on there.

Windows one has 2gb ram and 32gb eMMC. Linux version is 1gb and 8gb eMMC.

MSattler

Plus the extra 24GB will be nice if you wont to offline sync, and take the stick with you.

jhevener

Not according to the link in my original post.

MSattler

Not according to the link in my original post.

So your article is from January 7th....

Here is another article from January 7th:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/ces-2015-intel-introduces-compute-stick-with-atom-quad-core-cpu/

Today's article says:

Newegg lists both variants as having the same 2 GB of RAM and 32 GB of storage. Amazon, on the other hand, gives the Linux version only 1 GB of RAM and 8 GB of storage. Linux usually requires less resources to run comfortably, but that doesn't mean Linux users wouldn't want beefier specs as well.

My guess is NewEgg listed it wrong.... but time will tell.

jhevener

So your article is from January 7th....

Here is another article from January 7th:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/ces-2015-intel-introduces-compute-stick-with-atom-quad-core-cpu/

Today's article says:

Newegg lists both variants as having the same 2 GB of RAM and 32 GB of storage. Amazon, on the other hand, gives the Linux version only 1 GB of RAM and 8 GB of storage. Linux usually requires less resources to run comfortably, but that doesn't mean Linux users wouldn't want beefier specs as well.

My guess is NewEgg listed it wrong.... but time will tell.

I'm not sure how you're dating any reference in my link to Jan. 7 because I believe the only one I made was to today's listing on Newegg. I have seen reference to the hardware being the same though on Engadget somewhere as well. At any rate, I would never buy a model that had half the ram and a quarter of the storage. I'd definitely buy the $150 model in that case and consider it a bargain. Hopefully the Newegg pricing is correct and it will be a super bargain. They are saying release date is 4/24. @@MSattler are you considering getting one?

MSattler

I'm not sure how you're dating any reference in my link to Jan. 7 because I believe the only one I made was to today's listing on Newegg. I have seen reference to the hardware being the same though on Engadget somewhere as well. At any rate, I would never buy a model that had half the ram and a quarter of the storage. I'd definitely buy the $150 model in that case and consider it a bargain. Hopefully the Newegg pricing is correct and it will be a super bargain. They are saying release date is 4/24. @@MSattler are you considering getting one?

My bad, when you said your post I thought it was the original one on this post =)

I may, I think the price point is still a tad steep for something unproven and I will wait for the price to come down a bit.  I am interested to see how one of the $150 variants will compare to say my Minix Neo x8h-Plus.  I'm using it with Kodi, and the EmbySync and HDHomerun plugins, and for my bedroom it has replaced the HTPC.  I was considering ordering another for Living Room, but now will hold off to see what happens with these sticks.  

Here's what it comes down to for me:

I don't want to continue running Windows as a HTPC, even in stick form.  The malware/virus potential is too high, and unless I'm using Kodi, mkv playback is not as easy as Kodi.  I don't want to install codec's, TMT is dead, and so I want something that can natively play back my content.

If I buy an Android Device and the current Android App develops into something better, I have that option.  If I go the Intel stick route Kodi is my only option, unless someone comes out with an Android build for it.

Intel Stick Pro's:

Nice and small

Can run Linux, potentially Android

$18 cheaper than Minix Neo X8h Plus

Intel Stick Con's:

No ability to go wired

802.11gn only, no 802.11ac

No SD slot

Minix Neo X8h Plus Pro's:

GIGE Network

802.11AC

SD Slot

Can Run Android or Kodi Emby

Minix Neo X8H Plus Cons:

$18 more than the Intel HDMI Stick

MSattler

Is this this Windows version:

http://www.amazon.com/MeeGoPad-Stick-T01-Compute-Bluetooth/dp/B00S6LJVR8

Or, is there a newer more powerful model coming out?

Interesting, this is one of the ones which doesn't have a activated/valid Windows license.... there was an article recently about this...

This review on Amazon is a tad worrisome:

The MeeGoPad functions exactly as advertised. It warns not to use it too long because it overheats. It sure does. 

I wonder how one would install a new OS.  I suppose just via thumbdrive?   

Sounds like a cheap solution to throw Linux on and run Kodi.

Edited by MSattler

jhevener

My bad, when you said your post I thought it was the original one on this post =)

I may, I think the price point is still a tad steep for something unproven and I will wait for the price to come down a bit.  I am interested to see how one of the $150 variants will compare to say my Minix Neo x8h-Plus.  I'm using it with Kodi, and the EmbySync and HDHomerun plugins, and for my bedroom it has replaced the HTPC.  I was considering ordering another for Living Room, but now will hold off to see what happens with these sticks.  

Here's what it comes down to for me:

I don't want to continue running Windows as a HTPC, even in stick form.  The malware/virus potential is too high, and unless I'm using Kodi, mkv playback is not as easy as Kodi.  I don't want to install codec's, TMT is dead, and so I want something that can natively play back my content.

If I buy an Android Device and the current Android App develops into something better, I have that option.  If I go the Intel stick route Kodi is my only option, unless someone comes out with an Android build for it.

Intel Stick Pro's:

Nice and small

Can run Linux, potentially Android

$18 cheaper than Minix Neo X8h Plus

Intel Stick Con's:

No ability to go wired

802.11gn only, no 802.11ac

No SD slot

Minix Neo X8h Plus Pro's:

GIGE Network

802.11AC

SD Slot

Can Run Android or Kodi Emby

Minix Neo X8H Plus Cons:

$18 more than the Intel HDMI Stick

I have the whole house wired with Cat 6 so I do prefer a wired connection. That can be overcome with a usb NIC though. I currently plug in the Chromecast and Roku directly into my HDMI recievers and hope to do the same with this baby. A powered USB hub will take care of any storage shortcoming though I play everything through the LAN anyway. I still don't have an ac router and currently don't think I need it. The way wireless technology is going, 802.11ac will probably be outdated before long anyway with the latest greatest new thing. I have seen the Minix Neo X8h Plus Pro is a favorite here for many... I'll have to check it out.

I'm just glad to be getting away from these $500-600 HTPC builds. Cheers!

jhevener

Interesting, this is one of the ones which doesn't have a activated/valid Windows license.... there was an article recently about this...

This review on Amazon is a tad worrisome:

The MeeGoPad functions exactly as advertised. It warns not to use it too long because it overheats. It sure does. 

I wonder how one would install a new OS.  I suppose just via thumbdrive?   

Sounds like a cheap solution to throw Linux on and run Kodi.

Is this this Windows version:

http://www.amazon.com/MeeGoPad-Stick-T01-Compute-Bluetooth/dp/B00S6LJVR8

Or, is there a newer more powerful model coming out?

The new ones have vent holes for one. Like @@MSattler says, this particular unit overheats pretty quickly and I'm not too interested in buying it from China (though I have no problem with that normally) especially with all the bloatware on it. The NSA is bad enough without the Chinese snooping on me too.  ;)

Edited by jhevener
  • Like 1