Square theme - runs a lot slower than Sapphire

tp546

Hey guys,

I just started using the square theme recently and while I love the look/design of it, it is a lot slower than Sapphire, and presumably others. Is this a known issue? Are there any possible fixes I can try? Let me know. Thanks.

Square tries to produce a much more complicated interface than most other themes so it could be slower, although I can't recall anyone ever really reporting that to be the case.

What, exactly, are you perceiving to be slower?

Square tries to produce a much more complicated interface than most other themes so it could be slower, although I can't recall anyone ever really reporting that to be the case.

What, exactly, are you perceiving to be slower?

The EHS is where it is most obvious - it normally takes anywhere from 5-10 seconds to respond and move between libraries when I hit the arrow buttons. 

Yeah, I think Square does a bunch of stuff in order to generate that top level start screen.  If there are options for what to show, you could try fiddling with them.

Yeah there is certainly a lot of content there - that's why I like it haha. I'll play around with it and see what I'm able to do. Thanks ebr

techywarrior

The EHS is where it is most obvious - it normally takes anywhere from 5-10 seconds to respond and move between libraries when I hit the arrow buttons. 

Yea, I find that on my music collection I have that problem. Movies and TV it are pretty quick switching between as long as I wait a few seconds after login for background tasks to finish. My movies and TV are around 1000 each but music is 35,000 items and that kills it.

It will also depend on the computer that is running MBS. When I had it on my unRAID server it was really slow in MBC. When I switch my server back to Windows it was much faster. The hardware on both machines are pretty comparable so it may be the maturity of .NET (or lack thereof of Mono) or a limitation in how quickly the unRAID OS can handle so many concurrent calls.

Yea, I find that on my music collection I have that problem. Movies and TV it are pretty quick switching between as long as I wait a few seconds after login for background tasks to finish. My movies and TV are around 1000 each but music is 35,000 items and that kills it.

It will also depend on the computer that is running MBS. When I had it on my unRAID server it was really slow in MBC. When I switch my server back to Windows it was much faster. The hardware on both machines are pretty comparable so it may be the maturity of .NET (or lack thereof of Mono) or a limitation in how quickly the unRAID OS can handle so many concurrent calls.

Yeah I have a lot of TV shows - I think about 7,000+ episodes. I have pretty good specs on everything though so I wouldn't expect this much of a lag.

Have you tried the beta version 1.2.11.0? Curious to see if I request I made to Soultaker fixes the EHS performance for you, actually it looks like my request didnt make it into the public beta. Are you using the Square EHS or Bar EHS?

Edited by BAS

Soultaker

Well Square is obviously doing a lot more than Sapphire so it's not surprising to me at least that Sapphire, because it does less, is fast.

Having said that there are also differences between EHS styles Square offers, with the Bar EHS faster than the default.

I have uploaded a new beta for testing purposes that may improve the EHS experience, unfortunately I do not have the massive collections that you guys do so I need your feedback on testing this. The version you need to test is 1.13.13.0 (BETA).

Cheers

-ST

Well Square is obviously doing a lot more than Sapphire so it's not surprising to me at least that Sapphire, because it does less, is fast.

Having said that there are also differences between EHS styles Square offers, with the Bar EHS faster than the default.

I have uploaded a new beta for testing purposes that may improve the EHS experience, unfortunately I do not have the massive collections that you guys do so I need your feedback on testing this. The version you need to test is 1.13.13.0 (BETA).

Cheers

-ST

Thanks ST - I just tried it out and it is definitely an improvement but there is still some lag when I scroll through the folders in the EHS the first time - my audio folder (which is actually smaller than many people's I believe - only about 29gb) got the force close message from WMC but I just waited a couple of seconds and it responded. It seems like if I leave it on the EHS without moving for like 30 seconds and then start moving again, I get the lag again. If I keep moving once I get going, the lag is not as apparent. Hopefully that helps but let me know if I can do anything else. Thanks.

Soultaker

Thanks ST - I just tried it out and it is definitely an improvement but there is still some lag when I scroll through the folders in the EHS the first time - my audio folder (which is actually smaller than many people's I believe - only about 29gb) got the force close message from WMC but I just waited a couple of seconds and it responded. It seems like if I leave it on the EHS without moving for like 30 seconds and then start moving again, I get the lag again. If I keep moving once I get going, the lag is not as apparent. Hopefully that helps but let me know if I can do anything else. Thanks.

What happens when you use Bar-EHS?

What happens when you use Bar-EHS?

It is a lot faster actually - the only lag i got was the first time i went to my audio folder but it was only for about 3 seconds. it has the same behavior as the square one, just far less drastic - probably about 1/3 or 1/4 of the lag. im going to stick with this one for now - if you want me to test square again, let me know. if i see any further issues with bar, ill report back here.